Us Shuttle

DFWCC

Senior
Aug 19, 2002
DFW
Visit site
There is an article in the Dallas Morn News today, about the possibility of the USAir sale of its LGA-BOS-WAS shuttle. AA not commenting.
Good.... Bad..... What do you think?....

Why bother with the U Air Shuttle?,we run a Shuttle with Eagle as it is.

Besides, can't you just hear the howls of outrage from the rank and file if management plunks down X number of millions for the shuttle?

Although the shuttle isn't worth what it was even three years ago, so who knows.

Now if they buy the Shuttle slots that's a different story.Slots at LGA and DCA are what is valuable and what they should be looking at if they are indeed on the offer...

Having created a NE shuttle from scratch (in part from slots bought from TWA), why would AA spend more money to buy USAir's operation? Especially since the NE Shuttle business ain't what it used to be.

Still, stranger things have happened. Reno didn't seem to make much sense either, but that didn't stop AA.

I suppose it would be the landing slots only. US would have an asset sale. We do not need their jets as we have plenty in the dessert.
. Since it is illegal to buy and sell people, this could only be an asset sale.
. Like LGA FS said its the slots that are of value.

DFWCC;
On the plus side are the landing slots at LGA and DCA.

On the minus, is the shuttle IS NOT worth what it was last 2 times around.

ALSO a factor now(which was'nt a consideration before, is AMTRAK(specifically ACELA EXPRESS)

DFWCC,
I live 4 blocks from AMTRAKS roadbed, and hear Acela's whistle blowing 3-4 miles away, and I can set my watch by it's on-time performence.

I have friends who live in the BOS suberbs(10 miles away)who don't have to drive "White knuckled" into Logan/BOS and can "shave" 10-15 min's off the travel time(into NY), and board the train in a VERY convenient suburban station(similiar to BWI airport, and a seperate stop for Baltimore/city)

Acela passengers have their own frequent rider club, and nice(I've been inside) ACELA lounges in BOS-NYC-PHL-DCA.

Plus, lets not forget where "uncle BOBBY CRANDALL" is "weaving his magic" lately................ AMTRAK BOD's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

Considering the results of the TWA "merger" its probably cheaper for AA to just buy the assets.

They've got plenty of pilots on furlough to recall and operate the service.

AA has announced that they will bid for slots and gates, nothing else. I have to assume that if they do, AA will operate its own shuttle. AA has aircraft in the desert it can use. It would not surprise me if AA bids, a lot of the travelers are businessmen/women. The shuttle would enhance AA's whole operation and they would not have sticky problem of employees from another carrier.

I can't see that AA would want anything from US aside from slots and gates:

* Aircraft? Don't want Airbus narrowbodies, and AA doesn't have 737-300's or -400's in its fleet. Plus there are aircraft in the desert or AA could simply juggle some of its lfying around.
* Employees? AA's got plenty of furloughees with low seniority (i.e. lower payrates) AND bringing in people from US Airways would probably make for very ugly relations with the unions.

What else would they buy?

DFWCC said:
There is an article in the Dallas Morn News today, about the possibility of the USAir sale of its LGA-BOS-WAS shuttle. AA not commenting.
Good.... Bad..... What do you think?....
Hey, thats a great idea!! Buy US shuttle with the employees and then they can BOHICA like the TWA people did.

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
(IMHO) there's only 2 scenarios that would prompt AA to move on the US shuttle.

1. To keep it away from JET BLUE
2. To keep it away from SOUTHWEST

NH/BB's
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds a little like the "dog in the manger"

ANY purchase of USAIRWAYS assets can only be positive. Slots at LGA and DCA come up for sale very infrequently, only when the seller is broke and needs cash. If AA bought Usair assets they could:

(1) expand service to Florida

(2) Move operations out of the main LGA terminal to the newer USair terminal

(3) 737-800 for shuttles

(4) expand service to existing destinations and/or serve new ones.

It all depends how much US wants for its sacred slots?

JFK777 said:
ANY purchase of USAIRWAYS assets can only be positive. Slots at LGA and DCA come up for sale very infrequently, only when the seller is broke and needs cash. If AA bought Usair assets they could:

(1) expand service to Florida

(2) Move operations out of the main LGA terminal to the newer USair terminal

(3) 737-800 for shuttles

(4) expand service to existing destinations and/or serve new ones.

It all depends how much US wants for its sacred slots?
I don't think AMR would buy anything other than the landing slots. Lord knows, we don't need anymore hardware. Besides, according to what some of the US Airways posters have written elsewhere on this board, most of their 737s are 300s or 400s--not an a/c that AMR wants. Also, according to another thread on this board, any sale of 15% or more of a/c requires that US Airways assure that the purchaser hire the US Air pilots and flight attendants in an equal percentage AND integrate them into the purchasers seniority list according to AFA standard--which is original date of hire. Surely, AMR would not be dumb enough to involve themselves in such a deal with the TWA suit(s) still undecided.

If US Airways goes through with this--now doubtful according to some news articles--there should be a major bidding war for the LGA and DCA landing slots. AMR is not the only company that would like to have those.

I'm only talking about terminal space at LGA and Slots at DCA and LGA. 733 & 734 can stay at US, their days are numbered anyways.