US to drop PIT-LAX/SFO

More jobs lost on the front line,

Will PIT still have a Station Director, Ramp Manager, Customer Service Manager, Admin Manager, and Shift Manager in Charge of Shining Shoes?

The same managerial structure they had with 400+ flights a day.

If I'm reading the O&D data from the DOT correctly, there is like 360 pax/day out to SFO and over 500 to LAX.

If US was unable to make that work, they've got problems.

So does this mean that in October that PIT will be totally subcontracted out like TUS? There's not reason why US can't make money on this route, yet UA can when UA has higher costs than US. This is insane. I didn't even think that there were more flights for US to cut.
AA is handing you a gift. They will discontinue PIT-LGA flights soon so that should help out a lot.
US, you need to build your airline, not cut and runt. There's no competition on this route. No other airline flies PIT-LAX or PIT-SFO nonstop.
So, USAirways really needs to just subcontract out PIT so that we don't here any more negative stories about US cutting service.
Does anyone know how many mainline flights US would need to have before they can subcontract out PIT?

Could this be a sign of a cozier relationship with United? UAL flys to UAL hubs and US to US hubs. Maybe we will see UAL drop some frequency that we will pick up?

NEW FUNCTIONALITY ALLOWS US AND UA SEAMLESS SEAT AVAILABILITY AND SELL CAPABILITY

US Airways and United launched seamless seat availability and sell capabilities today, for both interline and codeshare passengers. An airport or reservations agent at US will see the actual number of seats available (up to nine) on a UA flight, or a US * codeshare flight operated by UA. When a seat segment is sold, it is immediately taken from UA’s inventory improving the accuracy of the sale record in both systems. Agents at UA have similar access to selling US seats, and travel agents will be able to sell either carriers’ codeshare itineraries with greater confidence

For 22 years I have heard every flight is always full when someone is unhappy that a route is cut. Give it a rest. PIT is as important to US Airways as DAY, SYR, IND, or Columbus. Look at them today. At least LAX and SFO are hubs for UAL.

You might be right....then again your probably wrong. Atleast PIT could handle the traffic and weather that CLT, PHL and the rest of the Eastcoast HUBS never could on their best day operating. Seems like the master plan is to continue to shrink and outsource. One thing is for sure - the Clown Posse out WEST "knows what they are doing" Maybe not a bad thing for out PAX connecting in LAX and SFO.....maybe TEMPE finally realizes how INCONVENIENT it is to connect through PHX going westbound? :blink:

More jobs lost on the front line,

Will PIT still have a Station Director, Ramp Manager, Customer Service Manager, Admin Manager, and Shift Manager in Charge of Shining Shoes?

The same managerial structure they had with 400+ flights a day.

I've never posted here before but this topic has my interest. Being with US for many years I have to question the "top" mgt for Pittsburgh. By top mgt I'm referring to the Director (with no flights) and the PSM and RSM. As for the Shift Managers, I feel sorry for them. "Most" of them try so hard to balance the BS they are handed from above and below and seem to actually care about what happens here. As for the Director, if I didn't know him for his Gate agent days (and he would never make the door closure like he expects us) I wouldn't know what he looked like. The ONLY meetings we ever had were the required Town Halls and half the time he didn't show for them. It's obvious he is way out of his league but seems to be a good talker and somehow hangs in there.
Roll over and say Yes maam!

The employees overall are good people. Sometimes they are bitter and feel entitled but do a decent job. The news of the continued flight losses AGAIN comes from the media and no internal annoucement that would be considered humane. Now, I've come to expect that from around here , i.e. our regional only shows when there is "lay-off" announcements and brings along HR that just stands there with a smirk on their face and can't really answer any of our questions.

I have never in my life seen such poor upper mgt. I know we in the workforce are not always easy to manage and I appreciate the ones that try..... but we do deserve to be treated like people and not commodities.

I guess life will go on, but it's so disheartning to see what is happening and how it's handled.

PS. I do respect Mr. Isom who flew through once, he seemed to care but he really needs to understand the people who work for him.

I hope my co-workers can handle what I'm sure is to come. Grab tomorrows press for an update.

Venting completed.

How many more years until I retire??? :)

Here are some interesting quotes:

"It was a tough business decision, but the flights were removed because the routes were underperforming," said Michelle Mohr, spokeswoman for Tempe, Ariz.-based US Airways. The airline has no other changes planned at this time, she said.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_622918.html

Now when have we heard those words before?

Robin Urbanski, spokeswoman for Chicago-based United, said her company was unaware that US Airways was planning to cut those routes.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09120/966584-28.stm

JoAnn Jenny, Allegheny County Airport Authority spokeswoman, said officials were aware that US Airways could drop its flights so they approached United. "Basically we told our story that there's a strong demand for nonstop West Coast flights. It seems like it was a good fit for them."
Hmmm...some inconsistencies here

I don't know much about airlines, but this move seems to make sense assuming, by elmininating these long haul flights they can eliminate pilot/crew bases in PIT. In other words, there is probably a lot of overhead to maintain these destinations, whereas United won't encounted this cost, as their overhead is already covered in in LAX and SFO and by existing United staff (or outsourced workers, whichever) in PIT that handles flights from ORD and IAD (maybe DEN too?)

What aircraft were used on those flights, 757s, 321s, or somethings smaller. 321's would probably have a tough time making that flight on a consistent basis. Assuming the are 757's, US also gains by freeing them up for international flying, or maybe a CLT/PHI-SNA or something equally high yeilding.

The reality is there is really no need to operate both PIT and PHI on their national scale hub/spoke model, and though PIT is a MUCH nicer airport, it just doesn't have the O/D traffic.

I wonder if US has ever considered making Oakland or San Jose (CA) a hub? Though I guess if they are trying to cozy-up to UA, that doesn't make much sense.