US-UA Apply For Temp. Reallocation Of Brazil Freq.

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
United Air Lines, Inc. and US Airways, Inc.

OST-2010- Temporary US-Brazil Frequency Allocation
OST-2009-0003 - US Airways - Exemption Amendment - US-Brazil

July 15, 2010

Joint Application for Temporary US-Brazil Frequency Reallocation and Amendment of an Exemption

By this application, the Joint Applicants request the Department to temporarily reallocate seven frequencies held by United to US Airways to pennit US Airways to offer daily nonstop Charlotte-Sao Paulo service. US Airways also applies to amend its U.S.-Brazil exemption previously issued in Order 2009-4-6 by naming Sao Paulo (GRU) as an additional Brazilian cotenninal point. US Airways will provide daily nonstop service between Charlotte and Sao Paulo with B-767 aircraft having a seating capacity of 204 passengers in two classes. US Airways is prepared to commence service as soon as possible after all necessary government approvals have been obtained.

Flights to Rome, Rio De Janeiro, Frankfurt, Munich, London, Paris, and perhaps Sao Paulo now! Charlotte is really lucky to have these flights.

US is now up to 612 daily flights already and Terminal E is still to be expanded and the new International terminal has yet to be complete - Not to mention Concourse E will also have some A330 gates.

I wonder how large the Charlotte operation will grow over the years.

With the new runway, facilities expansion, and local economy, CLT is positioning itself to become the second ATL. My crystal ball says PHL will become mostly international to Europe and Middle East with feeder to support that operation; much like JFK is to DL and AA. CLT will become the hub to the world, so to speak; much like ATL is for DL. Just a hunch.

With the new runway, facilities expansion, and local economy, CLT is positioning itself to become the second ATL. My crystal ball says PHL will become mostly international to Europe and Middle East with feeder to support that operation; much like JFK is to DL and AA. CLT will become the hub to the world, so to speak; much like ATL is for DL. Just a hunch.
I am gonna have to agree. Al the flying time is being transferred to CLT which is forcing me to follow the time and transfer to CLT effective Sep/10. Something is going on in CLT and it might be good .

While I think that any expansion in CLT is great, I don't see any of it coming at the expense of PHL. The International flying out of PHL is going full-blast, and most of the other flying is as well. It has been mentioned many times about the large amount of O&D traffic that PHL enjoys, and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
I remember when the CLT hub operation was born at PI with Bill Howard being one of the key players in getting it up an running. At the time EA still had a decent size operation there, and he knew it's value since he came to PI from EA. I can still see all of those 737's lined up on the ramp with no jetways at the old terminal back in the ealry 80's.....Those were the days, we were making a profit on a regular basis, expanding all over the place, opening NEW stations that were actually staffed with real Mainline employees...........

While I think that any expansion in CLT is great, I don't see any of it coming at the expense of PHL.

I believe you're right. It won't be at the expense of PHL. It will be in addition to PHL. It's highly doubtful transatlantic flying will be transfered to CLT from PHL; way too much of a money maker in PHL.

While I think that any expansion in CLT is great, I don't see any of it coming at the expense of PHL. The International flying out of PHL is going full-blast, and most of the other flying is as well. It has been mentioned many times about the large amount of O&D traffic that PHL enjoys, and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
I remember when the CLT hub operation was born at PI with Bill Howard being one of the key players in getting it up an running. At the time EA still had a decent size operation there, and he knew it's value since he came to PI from EA. I can still see all of those 737's lined up on the ramp with no jetways at the old terminal back in the ealry 80's.....Those were the days, we were making a profit on a regular basis, expanding all over the place, opening NEW stations that were actually staffed with real Mainline employees...........
Yes CLT can never compare to the O&D PHL and always will. Hoping AA sees the potential for CLT and buys up US.

Reactions: 1 person
US has never been the size that DL is. And, likely never will. The operation at ATL is primarily connecting, and the airport is much larger overall. You can dream and hope for CLT to become another ATL, but that's just not going to happen.

If indeed, the 3 previously delayed 332s have now been rescheduled for later this year, it should provide a wealth of Winter opportunities for long haul. They could even put a pair on the CLT-GIG route - for at least the high season (December - March) and switch them to GRU for the rest of the year. That is, if the routes, via CLT can generate the necessary supporting Economy revenue and premium traffic. It would be doubly exciting if the 3 additions are 332HGWs, which should easily be capable of PHL-NRT and/or PHX-FRA. With the 10 total units, it will be interesting to see if they finally upgrade ATH next season.

Reactions: 2 people
US has never been the size that DL is. And, likely never will. The operation at ATL is primarily connecting, and the airport is much larger overall. You can dream and hope for CLT to become another ATL, but that's just not going to happen.
Although ATL is "primarily" connecting, the Domestic O&D is 3 x larger than CLT.

If indeed, the 3 previously delayed 332s have now been rescheduled for later this year, it should provide a wealth of Winter opportunities for long haul.

Is this just speculation on your part, or has this been announced?

I don't believe it is meant that Phl is becoming a smaller hub, but one day it will just international flights to europe middle east and asia, mainline to major destinations, and express flights to many local destinations (ala) delta at Jfk. Really how many medium size destinations have 2 or more mainline flights from phl now. Alb lost mainline, yyz gone, roc gone, mht down to 1x, buf down to 1x ind down to 1.5, dtw down to 1, syr down to one. Clt on the other hand is continuing growing mainline as well as international and ex clt has gained back mainline to iad, cle, pwm, mem, as well as gaining flights to yow, yul, eyw, btr, gpt, aus, sat ( now some mainline), vps etc..... its not that phl won't be a hub anymore it just won't be a very domestic power and ( and it is already shrinking now.)

Although ATL is "primarily" connecting, the Domestic O&D is 3 x larger than CLT.

They also have AirTran with nearly 200 daily flights, Frontier/Midwest, Air France, British Airways, Spirit, Alaska airlines, KLM, and Korean Air.

So, while O&D is 3X larger at ATL, Delta has a lot more competition and Airtran probably stimulates markets such as Biloxi, Sarasota, Richmond, Harrisburgh, Allentown, Buffalo, etc. etc. At Charlotte, US Airways has all these markets to itself.

Of course Charlotte wont have as many flights as Atlanta because Atlanta can support 2 hub carriers and more airlines. But can US Airways have a hub operation close to the size of Delta's Atlanta hub?

I mean. Look at Delta's Atlanta - Asia operation. What flights does Delta have at Asia from Atlanta? Just Tokyo I believe which is a hub for Delta....

that to me says that most of Delta's international flights are Connecting passengers and that all the international routes where Delta has significant O&D, CLT already has flights to already (Rome, Paris, London, Frankfurt, Munich) ...

Speaking of Tokyo...hopefully we can negotiate some NRT or even HND slots with Star partner, NH. Hopefully we'll finally have an Asia route in 2011.

If it is indeed true that they are accelerating delivery of 2 more 332s, this could be a good indication.

Reactions: 1 person
United Air Lines, Inc. and US Airways, Inc.

OST-2010- Temporary US-Brazil Frequency Allocation
OST-2009-0003 - US Airways - Exemption Amendment - US-Brazil

July 15, 2010

Joint Application for Temporary US-Brazil Frequency Reallocation and Amendment of an Exemption

By this application, the Joint Applicants request the Department to temporarily reallocate seven frequencies held by United to US Airways to pennit US Airways to offer daily nonstop Charlotte-Sao Paulo service. US Airways also applies to amend its U.S.-Brazil exemption previously issued in Order 2009-4-6 by naming Sao Paulo (GRU) as an additional Brazilian cotenninal point. US Airways will provide daily nonstop service between Charlotte and Sao Paulo with B-767 aircraft having a seating capacity of 204 passengers in two classes. US Airways is prepared to commence service as soon as possible after all necessary government approvals have been obtained.
What does UA get out of this? I can't believe they are doing this out of the goodness of their heart.