USA Today 2/27

W:EXCH:INVOL

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
usatoday.com/money/biztravel/2003-02-27-pilots_x.htm
I didn''t see this posted here, but if it is already, my apologies.
If ALPA was looking for sympathy from the general public, IMO this was NOT the way to do it. A while back, I questioned the fact that Mr. Siegel mentioned pilots'' pensions in the ballpark of 115,000/year because I had never really known how much those pensions were worth. Now, along comes this article quoting a 32 year pilot who was expecting 175,000 per year! He states he''ll have trouble putting 3 kids through college on a pension of (best case) 90,000 per year. This, after making (until very recently) 275,000 per year in salary.
I realize this gentleman is very senior and is not representative of the pilots group in general, but if ALPA was looking for a poster-boy, they muffed this one badly.
INVOL

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/1/2003 1:08:29 PM W:EXCH:INVOL wrote:

usatoday.com/money/biztravel/2003-02-27-pilots_x.htm

I didn't see this posted here, but if it is already, my apologies.

If ALPA was looking for sympathy from the general public, IMO this was NOT the way to do it. A while back, I questioned the fact that Mr. Siegel mentioned pilots' pensions in the ballpark of 115,000/year because I had never really known how much those pensions were worth. Now, along comes this article quoting a 32 year pilot who was expecting 175,000 per year! He states he'll have trouble putting 3 kids through college on a pension of (best case) 90,000 per year. This, after making (until very recently) 275,000 per year in salary.

I realize this gentleman is very senior and is not representative of the pilots group in general, but if ALPA was looking for a poster-boy, they muffed this one badly.

INVOL
----------------
[/blockquote]
10.gif']

I also read this artice and felt it was the wrong example to use for sympathy. Those numbers would shock the average worker out of their socks. Some of these guys should put their foot in their mouth before talking to the press. I will have to pay for college someday as well and would roll over with joy if I had his problems with cash flow.