USAIR 427

robbedagain

Veteran
Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
My prayers and thoughts are with the families of FLight 427 hard to imagine its been 15 yrs since that accident. May the victims all rest in peace

I remember that awful day all too well. I had just gotten in my car to run some errands, and the newscaster read the first, sketchy, bulletin. "Oh, God, not again" I thought, made a U-turn to go home and watch the news. I remember the terrible feeling as the magnitude of the crash became apparent. I remember the media hysteria and tasteless jokes by DJs and late night comics.

I knew some of the people in ORD who had worked that day, I cried with them on the phone in the days and weeks to come.

I remember the wild rumors about the cause. I remember the hard feelings from people at US (including me) against Boeing as they tried to blame the crew.

Has it really been fifteen years?

Let's keep them all in our thoughts.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19940908-0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAir_427

I remember the wild rumors about the cause. I remember the hard feelings from people at US (including me) against Boeing as they tried to blame the crew.
IIRC Boeing publicly blamed the pilots, meanwhile behind the scenes they were replacing and modifying the rudder servos on every 737 in the world. You don't spend all that money if it's someone elses fault.

RIP

Dorf

IIRC Boeing publicly blamed the pilots, meanwhile behind the scenes they were replacing and modifying the rudder servos on every 737 in the world. You don't spend all that money if it's someone elses fault.

RIP

Dorf
They did not replace or modify the rudder assembly and the PCU which was the cause of the fault the PCU and the valve could jam and or reverse and the pilots wouldnt know it, Dave Supplee, A US Airways Mechanic and Flight Safety Head for the IAM was on the NTSB investigation team and explained it during the hearings and if you read the book about 427 would would see that Boeing and Parker Hannifer ran the tests and tried to clear themselves but the investigation proved otherwise.

The Yaw Damper mods were done before the final report and no secret repairs were done.

Wasn't there a lot of debate over the lack of memorial for the crash site outside of a plaque on a rock?

There was a garden memorial next to the southbound lane of Rt. 60, just before the Aliquippa exit. I don’t get out that way much, but the few times I have it looks like this these days.

ahs82hd83hd8.jpg

This thread has been up for over 24 hours, and only five follow on comments. Are people's memories really so short? Doesn't anyone else have a memory to share of that awful day?

Thanks, robbed, for starting the topic!

This thread has been up for over 24 hours, and only five follow on comments. Are people's memories really so short? Doesn't anyone else have a memory to share of that awful day?

Thanks, robbed, for starting the topic!

Don't be so quick to judge. Everyone grieves in their own way, and asking everybody to wear their emotions on their shirtsleeves just to satisfy a need for verbiage is misplaced.

It is hard to believe that its been 15 years.
I was working that night in JAX ops. I got a call from our manager who just happen to be in PIT for a meeting. He told me what had happened.
From my understanding the crew and the a/c RON in JAX the night before.
My prayers go out to the families.

I was flying the wet lease out of BWI that fateful night. I think it was around 7 that evening and an agent came on and said to us: "We lost another one." Startled, she told us that another one of our planes went down in Pittsburgh. In shock, but not yet knowing the severity of the crash we took off for London. The irony for me is that when 1016 went down in CLT I was flying over NYC when I heard about that crash. We were flying over NYC when we found out how deadly 427 was, and for 6+40 hours we all worked that flight with heavy hearts.

When we arrived at LGW the staff at BA was awesome. The station manager and other personnel met our flight and offered everything from counseling to food to help us cope with this great loss. I am still moved by how they collectively descended on us and co-owned that tragedy with us. I never left my room that day, as I was glued to the television watching Sky News and the BBC. It was a tough trip. I can't believe it's been 15 years myself. R.I.P. brothers and sisters of 427.

I did not wear the USAir uniform then, but I also give my sympathies to all the families and especially my airline family now, USAIR. I don't care who you fly for or what uniform you wear - an airline loss is an airline loss for every employee at every airline. It affects us just as well - maybe not to the extent that we did not know the crew, but anytime there is a loss of life we feel it as sure as if we were working at that airline. My condolences to all of you.