USair denies AA pilots jumpseat...

And now Ted Reed just might find himself persona non-grata on his next US Airways flight.   :D

We are good enough to fix the junk they fly but not good enough to sit next to them while they use it. No sympathy here.

Reactions: 9 people
Good ol Ted Reed.....

Ted Reed covers the transportation industry. He previously covered the airline industry for 20 years for publications including The Charlotte Observer, Miami Herald and Sacramento Bee. He also worked for US Airways, writing internal publications and speeches for the company's executives.

"CHARLOTTE (TheStreet) -- No pilot group has paid a higher price, since the Sept. 11 attacks triggered a round of airline industry restructuring, than the ones at US Airways."

Talk to AA and United about paying a higher price..

Reactions: 1 person
While I have no skin in the game, mergers ain't beanbag. From the Mistaken Identity Dept:  The other day deplaning from my commute, I casually mentioned to the AA CPT at the door that I had been chatting with some ol' TWA FA friends in back. He lit into me on some seniority issue.  I guess I'm collateral damage since I'm too old to be a pilot, but young enuff to be an FA.  ;-)

I read all the articles regarding this subject and it appears the AA and US pilots are in for a very long haul for their seniority integration. 

I will say this though.  I congratulate the US pilot for refusing the AA pilot the seat.  After all the US pilots have gone thru tremendous heartbreaks over that past mergers, while the AA pilots have tried to stick it to the man, over and over again, from their past mergers.  This very well could be a very good tool to use to get both sides closer together and come to a final contract...

swamt said:
I will say this though.  I congratulate the US pilot for refusing the AA pilot the seat.  After all the US pilots have gone thru tremendous heartbreaks over that past mergers, while the AA pilots have tried to stick it to the man, over and over again, from their past mergers.  This very well could be a very good tool to use to get both sides closer together and come to a final contract...

That's a pretty vindictive, short sided, and unprofessional perspective.

Politics and personal opinions should never interfere with a jumpseat. This is how we get home to see our families-- not a means to an end. That's a very selfish and self-serving attitude.

Reactions: 15 people
swamt said:
I read all the articles regarding this subject and it appears the AA and US pilots are in for a very long haul for their seniority integration. 

This unprofessionalism is bound to happens when seniority is involved.
So that US pilot who just wants to get home or wherever he/she needs to be....guess what..."NO JUMPSEAT FOR YOU!!!!"
At the end of the day the AA pilots union will survive, so they best try to get along....
The same holds true for all workgroups...

AdAstraPerAspera said:

That's a pretty vindictive, short sided, and unprofessional perspective.

Politics and personal opinions should never interfere with a jumpseat. This is how we get home to see our families-- not a means to an end. That's a very selfish and self-serving attitude.
Your right politics should never interfere with jump seat privileges.
Just like the AA flight department denying the AMT's jump seat privileges and blame TSA,FAA,AA? We were also denied Cabin jump seat privileges as well. Care to guess who said No? TSA,FAA,AA? NOT.

Reactions: 2 people
1AA said:
Your right politics should never interfere with jump seat privileges.
Just like the AA flight department denying the AMT's jump seat privileges and blame TSA,FAA,AA? We were also denied Cabin jump seat privileges as well. Care to guess who said No? TSA,FAA,AA? NOT.
Relations between countries are based on reciprocity. I'd venture to say a good rule of thumb is that one may nest on another's home turf--- as long as the occupational native gets first debs. I'd also put some kind of parameter on body mass. Cabin jump real estate doesn't take kindly to the portly.

RJcasualty said:
Relations between countries are based on reciprocity. I'd venture to say a good rule of thumb is that one may nest on another's home turf--- as long as the occupational native gets first debs. I'd also put some kind of parameter on body mass. Cabin jump real estate doesn't take kindly to the portly.
I got F/D jump seat with Euro carriers in two situations. No politics involved. We never asked to bump other pilots. We even suggested a pecking order after pilots. Still denied. Life goes on.............

As an east pilot I can tell you that when we heard about this we were all pissed off.  The idiot capt. that did this does not represent the east group.  Garbage like this has no place out on the line.  

I told the guy I was flying with when we heard about this that I bet the west is going to milk this for all its worth and within a day you will see it splattered all over every web board,  looks like somebody decided to pass it on to Ted reed also.

I don't know which is worse, the idiot that denied the jumpseat or the degenerates that are posting it everywhere they can.

This capt. is known to the line guys,  if you have not heard the name yet all you need to do is pass through one of the crew rooms and you will probably hear it.  I am not going to post the name since it should be dealt with internally to make sure it does not happen again.    Word is that in addition to the union and line pilots all over him about it that the company has taken a very dim view of the subject as well,  but I have no direct knowledge of that.

To the three guys that were denied the seat I apologize for the actions of that particular individual.  You are all welcome on our jumpseat anytime.

Reactions: 6 people
Well, PMUS f/as are quick to point out that "our contract specifies boarding by seniority."  Well, at PMAA, our (APFA) contract specifies that APFA controls who sits on the jumpseats.  To facilitate f/as commuting to/from work, only AA and (pre-merger) AE f/as may occupy a cabin jumpseat.