USAir Furlough Recall: My Decision

Forgive me if you've read this post on another message board. I wanted to post it here as well since so many of you have helped me to come to my decision. If anyone would care to stay in touch with me, please PM me and I will give you my email address. Regards, Mike

My fellow pilots,

The November bid includes 165 recalls. With a roughly 10% recall rate anticipated, this bid should exhaust the furlough list and generate meaningful hiring for US Airways.

I have been told to expect the "take it or leave it" letter within the next two weeks, and that classdates will be scheduled in September and October.

Over the last several months I have labored over this decision. I have spent countless hours on the internet on this forum and many others. I have spent hours more on the telephone with former co-workers, other furloughees, family and friends deliberating over the decision.

5 years is a long time. Honestly I can barely remember what the job was like at US Airways. Over the last 5 years i've worked for 2 regionals before ending up at a corporate flight department. I've moved twice. Our son was born and may take his first steps any day.

I wonder whether i'm the same man I was years ago. Honestly I doubt it. When I started my first job as a Jetstream 31 first officer with Chautauqua I never imagined that I would spend the next decade working for 3 regionals, 1 lcc, 1 major only to end up flying a 7 passenger corporate jet. The airline pilot lifestyle was all I ever wanted. I remember looking at that Jetstream as though it were the finest airplane in the sky. I was proud of the aircraft, proud of the uniform, and proud of the job. I polished my shoes, wore my hat, and dreamed of the day that I would make the inevitable leap to the cockpit of a Boeing.

When that day came in 1999 and US Airways began hiring 100 pilots each month after my date of hire, I thought I had won the lottery. The job was almost everything I dreamed of. Most of my frustrations were with the association. I honestly felt as though ALPA was damaging my career far more then they were helping it. At every turn they seemed intent upon building new barriers to prevent the company from competing in the airline industry. The contract was amazing, and I appreciated everything it offered, but as I became more involved and attended ALPA meetings I realized that I completely misunderstood ALPA's mission. To me the union's motto should have been "ALPA: Job security is Job #1". But it wasn't. ALPA protected its most senior members at the expense of it's most junior. It robbed from the poor, to give to the rich.

Later, with thousands of pilots on furlough, ALPA would continue to shield it's most senior members by allowing the company to raise pay-caps, by continuing to allow the outsourcing of an armada of regional jets, by failing its most junior members.

The national union leadership could clearly see that a nationwide whipsaw was in effect couldn't they? How could they successfully represent both the US Airways pilots who had lost their jobs and the regional jet pilots who were reaping the benefit?

Over the last 5 years the airline pilot profession has changed. Compensation, lifestyle, work-rules, duty rigs, and retirement have all suffered. Narrowbody jets with as many as 95 passenger seats are flown by outsourced feeders at a fraction of the pay and benefits that such positions should command... and pilots line up for those positions. Pilots spend countless nights away from their families in pursuit of a lifestyle that no longer exists. Except for those rare few who work for FedEx or UPS, the dream is dead.

The profession does not protect experience. If US Airways were to disappear tomorrow its pilots, should they choose to continue in their profession, would start over. Just as the 1800+ furloughees were forced to find employment as commuter first officers, charter pilots, expatriots (yes, they left their COUNTRY to achieve some measure of success in exchange for their sacrifice)... so too would those who found themselves unemployed due to the destruction of the airline. Who is at fault? Managers who lack the ability to control pricing? ALPA who is incapable of putting a premium on experience and creating a national seniority list to prevent pilots from becoming handcuffed to a single operator?

I'm rambling.

So I made an extensive list of pros and cons. I carried the list with me for weeks and added to it whenever a thought came to me. I stared at that list time and time again trying to see a clear answer. Accept the recall, or abandon the dream in favor of my new life.

I emphasize how much time I put into this because I want the young pilots who read this thread to understand how much time and effort had been put into achieving that major airline position -- and that giving it up has been no easy decision.

But that is the decision I made.

I'm going to remain with the corporate flight department where I am currently employed. It is by no means perfect, but it offers me a lifestyle that could only be enjoyed by the most senior airline pilots. As I write this I sit in a hotel on one of the very rare overnights we are scheduled for. My son's photograph is the wallpaper on my laptop and I can't help but wonder what he is doing right now. Every day he does something that he has never done before and watching him discover the world is just amazing to me. I miss my wife and son after less than 24 hours away. How could I even consider commuting to sit in a Philadelphia crash-pad for days at a time missing out on all of that?

Make no mistake. This has not been easy. I've wanted to be an airline pilot for as long as I can remember. I was that kid -- the one who had no other hobbies, no other interests. I was singularly focused on that airline career.

So thank you everyone for all of the advice, the insider information, the emails and PMs, the phone calls, and the friendship you have provided to help me make this choice. I wish all of the US Airways pilots -- east and west -- the very best. There is something about that airline. Something more than airplanes, tugs, and people. It will survive and prosper in spite of itself. East and West pilots need to come together and take back ALPA.

No more meetings at high priced resorts. Hold your meetings where pilots can attend -- airport hotels at the domiciles. Spend your membership dollars as if they were your own. No more meals at 4 star restaurants. Protect your junior pilots. They are the foundation upon which the profession is being built. Defend their jobs as if they were your own...failure to do so will cause more and more pilots to "look out for #1"... The result of that practice is apparent. G0-Jets, SkyBus, Virgin America...

Good luck to all, and thank you. The experience I gained flying by your sides has made me the pilot that I am today. I will not forget the lessons learned.

All my best,
FurloughedAgain
Furloughed March 02

FurloughedAgain,
Great advice for anyone considering this job. We are not compensated any longer for being away from home on nights, holidays, and weekends, missing everything that is most important - our children growing up.
I envy you for having the choice, and I applaud your decision - I think you made the right choice.
Good luck in your bright future.

Pylit

I think you made a wise decision. I too am getting ready to end my career at USAirways as well. After accepting a recall as a FA, I realized that it wasn't what it used to be. My last day is on my anniversary date next year. I have promised I will stick it out here until then. For me, having a family means being there for my family. Good Luck in the corporate flight department.

I'm going to remain with the corporate flight department where I am currently employed. It is by no means perfect, but it offers me a lifestyle that could only be enjoyed by the most senior airline pilots. As I write this I sit in a hotel on one of the very rare overnights[/b]...

That just about says it all right there. The boyhood dreams which pushed us into this profession no longer carries the water. What does carry the water is the realization that every night you're away from home, that's one night that the kids won't have their dad and that lost time can never be gotten back. It was ok for our dads because of the money they made and the work rules back then. But times are so different and if the new profession doesn't kill you physically, it will certainly strip you of the most cherished things in life -family and tranquility.

Narrowbody jets with as many as 95 passenger seats are flown by outsourced feeders at a fraction of the pay and benefits that such positions should command... and pilots line up for those positions.
That's the real source of the problem.

The following is from the AA forum, http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37029 but the ideas are similar and many apply to the situation at US. (Notice how Virgin America's business philosophy echoes that of Heb Kellerher):
Dear Mr. Arpey:

On July 1st I retired from American Airlines - 9 years early. Since the
PUP/PSP payouts began 15 months ago, I have felt demoralized, angry and
betrayed. I am fully aware that neither you nor the other senior
managers understand this widespread reality. Perhaps by now the
destructive force of this "plan" has started to sink in to you. I truly
hope so, or American is truly doomed. The PUP has marked the turning
point at American. This was a grotesque error on management’s part; one
that management will never admit; one that the workers will never
forget. As exhibited by AA’s plunging numbers in reliability and
customer satisfaction, the current management game plan cannot recover
this jet. I leave saddened by what could have been at American.

I am by nature a very positive person. The failure of your leadership
has made it clear to me that I cannot work for such a "team" any longer;
for a company that devalues and denigrates its employees while enriching
a few executives. I was offered a job with Virgin America, and after
much consideration, I accepted their offer. I will be working for a
fraction of the pay, but I will be working in an environment of
cooperative spirit and teamwork. I have thus far seen strong and genuine
LEADERSHIP at Virgin, and I could not resist the offer to work for a
company that lists its priorities as:

1. Employees First
2. Customers second
3. Stockholders third

Happy Employees = Happy Customers = Happy Stockholders. What a novel
concept!

Conversely, I see an American Airlines that is nearly totally devoid of
any substantive Leadership, with perhaps two notable exceptions at the
Base Chief Pilot Level.

I remember the wonderful employees of this company that stood up to the
plate, swallowed the tough pill, and put their hearts into turning this
company around. And I am deeply saddened to see the wholesale loss of
heart in these same employees as a direct action of Management’s
Me-First compensation plan.

Mr. Arpey, I have cast my No Confidence Vote with my feet. It is my
intent to finish my flying career surrounded by highly motivated
individuals, ready to sacrifice for the team because they know the Team
cares equally for them. I thought this is what we were going to have at
American Airlines when you took the reins, and I am sadly disappointed
to realize that it is not so.

I lack any confidence in your ability to turn this ship around, let
alone restart its stalled engines. You have a system currently in place
which shields you from both the reality and truth of the daily
operation. For the record: it is hanging by a thread. It is a house of
beauty from afar, whose foundation has been eaten by termites. You have
a "looks good on paper" system that defies reality (no spare tires for a
737 in DFW? A flight cancelled for no spare wing tip light bulbs? Actual
events in the past six months).

You rely on statistics that are generated by a system designed for CYA,
not system improvement. Here’s a reality check: Our dismal customer
satisfaction and on-time performance statistics are not due to weather.
It’s due to the storm of employee morale and foolish strategic decisions
which have led to poor reliability. Your employees used to give above
and beyond to make the system work, regardless of the “weatherâ€. And now
they just don’t care anymore.

AA’s delay system has always been an exercise in finger-pointing and
blame assignment. Complete reliance upon statistics themselves is a
mistake, because, first, they give you the false impression that the
workers are even participating in the system; and secondly do not
provide you with even a partial picture or reason why. My retirement is
one example: One more number added to a list of retirements. Do you
notice it is 9 years early? That it is a fairly senior guy with a
reputation for going the extra mile? Do you wonder why? Or do you just
tell Planning, we need another new body? My point exactly.

In discussing my plans to leave American with several people in
Management, I came away shaking my head: The “leaders†of this company
are delusional. “We might suck, but United sucks even more.†“AA won’t
be losing business customers to Virgin. We have contracts with them.
They HAVE to fly AA.†Now there’s a business plan with promise….

Or my favorite: “You’re pissed off. Why? Because you’re the highest paid
in the industry and will retire a multi-millionaire?†That statement
pretty much said it all. And if you are relying on inputs from these
people, sir, you are deluded as well.

IF any of the other senior leadership were to leave your offices and
get out on the factory floor; and IF any of you would be open to
listening, you might start to realize how fragile the system is. The
workforce is enraged, and you cannot understand why. So you stop right
there. And yet the workforce is still enraged. There is a steaming
locomotive headed your way for a catastrophic collision, and you just
shrug your shoulders.

Sir, you have 80,000 employees starving for leadership. You have an even
smaller group of employees (namely the agents, rampers, and flight
crews) that are the only thing holding this operation together. We have
finished in the basement all year long on all the ratings you value for
our laughable AIP bonus, and yet you pin it on "weather events" instead
of recognizing that your workforce no longer cares.

You can discount me as one of the malcontents if you wish. Or if you are
wise you would step back and be concerned that you have lost someone
like me who would've carried the flag up Mt Suribachi just a few months
ago, but is walking away now. It's not just me. I cannot tell you how
many phone calls and handshakes I've received from employees telling me
they wish they could do the same. I won't tell you how many other pilots
I know who are actively seeking other opportunities to escape the
toxicity of this company. The bottom line is that you have taken the
tremendous wave of positive energy this workforce once had to create a
New American Airlines, and you have sucked all the energy out of it.

In its place you have created a self-destructive force of discontent and
apathy that WILL lead to a strike on this property and perhaps the
ultimate demise of this company. You have failed. Miserably.

I said before that I am a positive person, and so I still hold out a ray
of hope; and that is why, perhaps foolishly, I write this final letter:
on the miniscule chance that you might actually listen.

Can this all be saved? It is such a long shot. The “Turnaround Planâ€
would have to start with an acknowledgement of your failures, and an
apology for the empty slogans and promises. You might want to start with
an end to the PUP, and a similar distribution / reparation to your
employees for good measure.

An AApology from the Senior Leadership for this grievous error; an olive
branch to the workers to bring them back into the process; and nothing
short of returning the pay and working rules that were sacrificed to
save the company from bankruptcy in the first place. Not through
contract negotiations, sir. But as reparation for the tremendous damage
the PUP has done. Quite frankly, there is nothing else that will stop
the freight train.

I know. You think you gave us so much with stock options and the AIP. I
think I recall you describing it as a "$1 billion payout to the
employees". We can go back and forth on this one forever, but suffice it
to say that most of us gave up the equivalent of a full year's salary by
now to receive at the VERY best, 25% of a year's salary in these
programs. Your "team" on the other hand gave up what? To receive many
times your annual salary in payouts, not once, but twice and thrice to
come. Mr. Arpey, your message is not playing to the peasants.

By now you should realize you have lost all credibility with your
workforce. By now you should realize that you have destroyed the
fledgling cooperative spirit at AA. And if you don't, God help American
Airlines. If you ever want to talk about what needs to be done to turn
this ship around, I am always available! As are the other 80,000
employees of your company. Start listening.

I leave with my best wishes and hopes for this company. There are so
many people here who deserve its success. At Virgin America it is quite
clear that they understand that a motivated workforce is the key to
success. And you cannot motivate by beating and robbing your employees.
I sincerely hope that one day American Airlines will “get it†and start
to reap the benefits of an empowered, motivated workforce. It would be a
grand victory for everyone in the company, top to bottom. It starts with
LEADERSHIP. Inspired leadership, not Management. My first employer, The
Air Force, taught that leadership put people first. Interestingly, they
taught that the troops should always eat first. Conversely, at AMR,
management is always the first to the table and the last to leave. I
think this explains better than anything the loss of morale at American,
and the subsequent plummeting numbers you see for customer satisfaction.

You have seen hints of this great workforce potential in the years
leading up to the first PUP. Your Management team may have accomplished
great financial feats, but you must certainly also know that it was your
inspired and dedicated employees that pulled off the real miracle.

Sincerely,

xxx xxxxx
Captain, SFO
RETIRED

Furloughedagain,

While I respect your decision to not return, I thought the group should know that I was in a similar situation (minus the corporate flying job), and decided to return. For the very same reasons you explained, I know I am not returning to the same lifestyle. However, I have decided to look at it from a long-term investment perspective. My sacrifices for the foreseeable future may be turned into an investment for my family down the road. Despite all the negatives, I can't help but keep the rose-colored glasses on and be optimistic about the future of commercial aviation.

With the above being said, if I had a corporate pilot job, I'd keep it too, but taking this recall is the only way I see myself getting back into commercial aviation. Who knows, as the pilot shortage continues, this may be a stepping stone to another airline.

Just another perspective....

Furloughedagain -

Thank you for the spot-on and heartfelt post. When I started to read it and realized you were now flying corporate, I quietly prayed that you would be making the right decision and staying with your corporate job.

I totally understand your dream of becoming an airline pilot. It WAS a career worthy of those dreams, but no longer. Many factors convereged over the years to make this "perfect storm" of career destruction begin on 9/11. I have always contended that ALPA began its descent into irrelevancy when the Degregulation Act of 1978 went into effect and they did nothing to change the way they did business. What we see now was inevitable and would have likely occurred even without the attacks on 9/11. The destruction of the airline piloting profession just would have happened 5 or 10 years later. As you point out, ALPA failed to begin compiling a national seniority list and thus their clout diminished every ensuing minute. Another tactic which ALPA avoided to their detriment was the institution of a national contract, or at least a framework thereof with minimum criteria in order to get the national president to sign off on a contract.

Airline crews have always had some really serious lifestyle deficiencies which are intrinsic in the type of work we do. Many nights away from homes, families and communities was the worst of it. The endless waits for hotel vans, the security screening smoke-and-mirrors shows, etc. are just a few. We all happily endured those drudgeries because the balance of the upside far outweighed them. We had above average pay, benefits, pensions and time off from work. Layovers were often at 4-star hotels in cities where there was enough time to feel like it was a mini-vacation. In fact, often we had spouses join us on those layovers making it seem even more of a holiday.

Now, the downside factors of the career have increased in scope and intensity, while the counterbalancing pluses are gone. As you point out, unless you work for UPS or FedEx, the dream career is nonexistent.

I hope you get to see your baby's first steps soon. Best of luck!

Thanks for sharing your decision. These kinds of decisions are not easy, but you sound as though you have thoroughly analyzed what is important to you.

But I do have to take issue with 2 points in the OP and some of the replies.

The first is blaming ALPA for all of these problems, as though ALPA is some immorphous third party. Those decisions that you decry were voted in by your fellow pilots or adopted by the representatives voted in by your fellow pilots. It wasn't ALPA -- is was your coworkers (and pilots at other airlines).

The second is the pilot compensation/lifestyle complaints. Certainly, the pilot lifestyle can be hard. I spend 6-10 nights away per month and have a smaller taste for what pilots face. But to compare with the "golden days" of the 90s is very unrealistic. Anyone watching the industry then could have foreseen that the days of $200k+ salaries and fat pensions were not going to last. 9/11 made it happen faster, but it still would have happened. The fact of the matter is that the unions were able to temporarily raise compensation far above market rates for a period of time -- but cannot keep that going forever. People like being pilots. Lots of people want to be pilots and are willing to work for good, but not superb wages. The market eventually corrected itself. And that was highly foreseeable.

good decision ---#1 what with the MEC's chokehold on the pilotgroup---# 2 economy might go south soon----# 3 airlines/TSA make the folks with money fly NetJets/corporate style travel----maybe in 10 yrs or so the career might turn around who knows----------good luck and don't look back--!! Two

Good luck fellow aviator. Being at USAirways over 20 years myself I know your pain. I have to take exception with you on one point. Don't lump in Virgin America with the likes of GO-JET or Skybus. Virgin America is a class operation which has thrown a career lifeline to quite a few USAirways pilots who have chosen to resign and come on board.

Happy Landings

PedroPat

I have to take exception with you on one point. Don't lump in Virgin America with the likes of GO-JET or Skybus. Virgin America is a class operation which has thrown a career lifeline to quite a few USAirways pilots who have chosen to resign and come on board.
Happy Landings

PedroPat

Several AWA pilots have made the jump to VA or are about to. There's a good reason why the airline execs wanted to keep Branson out of America and it's simply because he's so da#n good at running a business.