USAirways #3 in BTN Survey

They asked these managers "Which airline kissed your butt the most?" US decided to pucker up a little more this last year.

Essentially that's an accurate although cynical analysis.

The bottom line is that corporate/business travel is a higher yield business than the leisure travel business this WN's dismal rating. Where it gets tricky is just how much does one "Give Away" in order to spur the high yield business traveler. Truth is airlines dicker with that equation all the time as aviation is a dynamic not static market.

Think about it, short of pay toilets US had no more fees to add so where you you go for more yield? BINGO! Business travelers. US also has some tools with which to attract business travelers like Star Alliance and a pretty good FF Program.

Reactions: 1 person
Amazing - US is trying to win more business travelers - since we have been attacking them for going after ma and pa kettle - they do that - and we now twist the progress into something negative.

Reactions: 2 people
Amazing - US is trying to win more business travelers - since we have been attacking them for going after ma and pa kettle - they do that - and we now twist the progress into something negative.

I wasn't trying to be negative. Sorry you feel that way. I think if you want to critical you can criticize US for going to far in going for the leisure market. But the truth is that all airlines struggle for the right "Mix" of business & leisure travelers. To much of one and the airline exposes itself to a downturn in yields.

US, to its credit has admitted without formally saying so that they didn't have the right "Mix" and that's good for the airline and anyone who chooses to travel and that's not negative.

Last to third is significant improvement. The fact that US Airways is doing more to attract business travelers I think really disappoints some people here because it's one less thing they can hold against the company. Good news is such a drag...

Reactions: 4 people
Last to third is significant improvement. The fact that US Airways is doing more to attract business travelers I think really disappoints some people here because it's one less thing they can hold against the company. Good news is such a drag...

Eggggggg...zactly!!!

Speaking of which, where is Art?

:)
He's at ISP. Can't you read?

Oh I get it. Well I'm shocked and very insulted at your vast crassness. :angry: Did you know that he runs a non-profit organization that helps mentally disturbed persons resolve conflicts with airlines they fly on? For shame.

Essentially that's an accurate although cynical analysis.

The bottom line is that corporate/business travel is a higher yield business than the leisure travel business this WN's dismal rating.

If you are implying here that business travelers don't fly Southwest, you would be wrong except for International travelers. From the article...

"Southwest Airlines, rated along with merger partner AirTran Airways, finished last. Respondents saw little flexibility from the carrier in structuring preferred airline agreements and reported difficulty in booking some of its airfares through preferred channels."
I.E., "Southwest wouldn't discount their fares even further to make me look good with my boss." Whenever I commuted on Southwest (DAL-STL, and reverse), I was amazed at the number of guys in expensive suits with their laptops and rollerboards in those "cattle car lines" (to use the term the rest of us use for their boarding process).

If you are implying here that business travelers don't fly Southwest, you would be wrong except for International travelers. From the article...

"Southwest Airlines, rated along with merger partner AirTran Airways, finished last. Respondents saw little flexibility from the carrier in structuring preferred airline agreements and reported difficulty in booking some of its airfares through preferred channels."
I.E., "Southwest wouldn't discount their fares even further to make me look good with my boss." Whenever I commuted on Southwest (DAL-STL, and reverse), I was amazed at the number of guys in expensive suits with their laptops and rollerboards in those "cattle car lines" (to use the term the rest of us use for their boarding process).

Oh not in the least. Check out OKC- to Love Field during the week. Filthy with business folk.

The BTN thing dealt with Travel Managers and WN doesn't do well with those people for reasons that are well known. However if you're business person who books their own travel it's different. WN has IMO done a very nice job of attracting more business travelers in spite of the impediments mentioned.

Eggggggg...zactly!!!
"Though corporations for years have lived with an increasingly unbundled airfare product, many buyers remain dissatisfied with ancillary fees, particularly with regard to a lack of thorough reporting and negotiating opportunities,"
"This is what we want you to do. Take it or leave it.' It's very collaborative."