Usairways A/c Skids Off Rwy In Pit

<./']>

Apr 29, 2004
Local - WTAE ThePittsburghChannel.com 06-14-2004

Plane Skids Off Pittsburgh Runway

Around 3:20 a.m. a US Airways plane slid off the runway as it taxied to a gate at Pittsburgh International Airport.

A passenger onboard flight 1076 from Charlotte, N.C., told Channel 4 Action News that the plane hit a bird and veered off the runway.

An airport spokesperson said there were 88 passengers on the flight and none of them were injured.

A bird at 3:20am?

Maybe an owl.

I saw the report on WTAE this morning and they also said pilots had a problem with steering the nose wheel.

The same report mentioned an up to 4 hour delay at PIT ticket counter Sunday evening. Sounds like understaffing?

The crew was only on duty for 12+ hours. Looks like they were supposed to go PIT-TPA-CLT-PIT, but ended up doing PIT-PBI-MCO-TPA-CLT. Kind of a round about way. Was the weather bad in Florida last night? Anyway, it took 7 and a half hours to just do that. Then they did the last leg back to PIT. Looks like they were ony 3 and a half hours late. Not bad for a marathon flight.

It was fast flying turkey and it snapped a nose wheel cable and could not steer the nose. Was ok until speed reduced and rudder steering was unavailable then it drifted off runway and was stuck in the mud. It was out of the mud around 7am.

ClueByFour said:
The report also said that a US spokesperson basically said "Part of the cause was pax inability to use kiosks."

WTF?
Another US spokesperson also said part of the cause was that the crew was distracted as there were too many US1s in Coach on the $99.95 special complaining about not getting upgraded.

PSA1979 said:
The crew was only on duty for 12+ hours.
Hello PSA. We are on the same page there. I cannnot think of an industry with a 15, possibly 16 hour duty day with quite as many lives at stake. And I don't care how much rest one has had, there is a reason times like that are called the "back of the clock." My hat is off to the aviation professionals in those aircraft on such long days! What other industry would it be "only" 12 hours (no lack of respect towards the medical community, but its not the same!)

Safety has nothing to do with running an airline. Money does. International crews on reserve have no defined rest periods. How ya like that. The pilots flying you to Europe may not have slept for 18 hours or longer by the time they land in Europe. Safety is only a word that is thrown about to fool uninformed and gullible people.

Actually, I know of many other professions that have 12-16 hour days. The police department for one, they even give them guns! Some departments do 3 -12 hour days or 4- 10 hour days, some even let you work a second shift after an 8 hour day, that would be 16 hours. And I know you said not to mention the medical profession, but interns work 24 hours. Emergency room doctors and nurses sometimes go for 24 hours at a time. They are in the business of saving lives and they are even given knives!
And, on our transoceanic flights you can easily have a 12 hour day 4 days a week. Those days, due to weather can run to 16. So........

[quote name='<' date='./'']>,Jun 14 2004, 01:25 PM]Around 3:20 a.m. a US Airways plane slid off the runway as it taxied to a gate at Pittsburgh International Airport.[/quote]
Did the aircraft skid off the runway or taxiway off a taxiway? Not that it makes any real difference. I'm glad no one was hurt.

PSA1979 said:
Actually, I know of many other professions that have 12-16 hour days. The police department for one, they even give them guns! Some departments do 3 -12 hour days or 4- 10 hour days, some even let you work a second shift after an 8 hour day, that would be 16 hours. And I know you said not to mention the medical profession, but interns work 24 hours. Emergency room doctors and nurses sometimes go for 24 hours at a time. They are in the business of saving lives and they are even given knives!
And, on our transoceanic flights you can easily have a 12 hour day 4 days a week. Those days, due to weather can run to 16. So........
Tought we were on the same page, guess not. A policeman or intern would have to go on quite a "spree," with a lot of reloads (you mentioned guns, not me....) of some kind to take out 126 people with a mistake. As to international, there is some difference in one 7 hour leg vs 5 or 6 short ones. I also do not remember any domestic pilots going to the back for a nap. So..........give me a more comparable example (maybe cruise ship crews, I don't really know...but I doubt it)

PSA1979 said:
Firefighters are often on duty for 24 hour stretches. Sure they have a bunk upstairs, but one call around 1 or 2 AM means no sleep. Think about it the next time you need a Medic or firegither for something.

Latest posts