Usairways Demise ?

madders

Senior
Nov 23, 2003
www.bookutravel.com
I've been hearing of Usairways demise from 1988 of course then it was Usair..
Usairways beat those odds and made some money in the early 90's until 1998 when its started coming down and again I heard of their demise..
Seems Usairways like a cat with many lives I do not know.
Yeah its true Usairways had a lot of bad management over the years of course maybe just maybe they came in with could intentions but they could not undo the muck that has fixated itself on Usairways.
I think Usairways has potential to make it but the only two things that stands in its way is trust and respect.
The workers dont trust the management and management don't respect their employees.
Maybe we as employees should demand from the management that we work on these two obstacles of trust and respect because with out them we cannot go forward with the Changes thats needed to make the airline work
And if Usairways should fail to exist everyone is to Blame and all it takes is for us to make the decision to say let "by gones be by gones" lets work for the future..

Whats make Southwest and Jetblue work make they have a lot of trust and respect over there.

madders said:
Moderator note: Deleted entire previous post quote- you may use the fast reply or add reply if you don't want to quote the entire post.
[post="174812"][/post]​

An admirable goal. Never happen as long as Jerry Glass is on nthe property. That's not the the way he works.

madders said:
And if Usairways should fail to exist everyone is to Blame and all it takes is for us to make the decision to say let "by gones be by gones" lets work for the future..
[post="174812"][/post]​

Excuse me? EVERYONE is to blame?

I don't think so. Management is to blame, pure and simple.

The employees at this carrier continue to this day to work virtual miracles given the tools, or lack thereof, which management imposes on them. USAirways survives ONLY because of the mutual loyalty of the employees and the customers. The employees give it their best under dire circumstance in order to keep the customers coming, and our customers come back because the employees have been able to keep the service from going totally down the tubes, no thanks to management.

Jerry Glass is just one person. If it wasnt Jerry Glass it would be someone else. Hes not to be liked when hes out for whats best for the company... Whats hard to understand about that . People, our company is not the enemy, its our competition. Learn it, live it or we die... Its that simple!. Be responsible for you own actions, dont worry about somoen eles. You nor I have control here. Our competition is killing us. We all have been used to relaxed rules and higher pay (than that of LCC) Its hard to have something and have it taken away. Its that or we have nothing . Its Plain and SiImple

A correction - USAir didn't make money in the early 90's. The company lost money consistently from 1989 'till the late 90's when it made, comparitively, a moderate profit for a few years. Overall, history (15 years) shows that the basic business model of the coroporation is fundamentally a losing one.

The Model became Broken from the day USAir purchased PSA and Piedmont. There was no plan then, and there is no plan now. The Employees have worked thru watching the revolving doors of upper Management with empty promises only to be let down by yet another piss poor management decision. I know however bad it has been, when I am at work I have given it my all for 23 years. Can we say that about UM?????
I think NOT ! !

if we could get rid of glass, rader, crellin, and a few other so called mgmt team and replace them with say may be employees then i'd think usair wouldnt be in as bad of shape as they are. i also know that we as the employees are not to blame
but the decisions made by mgmt is the reason.

I think an accurate descrption would be like an old "b" grade horror movie, where US Air is the monster that has been shot full of holes, should have been dead a long time ago, but keeps coming at you with the bloody hammer. :)

madders said:
I've been hearing of Usairways demise from 1988 of course then it was Usair..
Moderator note: Deleted entire previous post quote- you may use the fast reply or add reply if you don't want to quote the entire post.
[post="174812"][/post]​

Pacemaker said:
A correction - USAir didn't make money in the early 90's. The company lost money consistently from 1989 'till the late 90's when it made, comparitively, a moderate profit for a few years. Overall, history (15 years) shows that the basic business model of the coroporation is fundamentally a losing one.
[post="174822"][/post]​

Pleassssssssssssssse don't sit in your chair and tell me this compamy operated on loses for 10 years you didn't just say that ....How in the world could any company operate on year after year of loses you are really missing something.
The money was going somewhere just not the balance sheats.

nycbusdriver said:
Excuse me? EVERYONE is to blame?

I don't think so. Management is to blame, pure and simple.

The employees at this carrier continue to this day to work virtual miracles given the tools, or lack thereof, which management imposes on them. USAirways survives ONLY because of the mutual loyalty of the employees and the customers. The employees give it their best under dire circumstance in order to keep the customers coming, and our customers come back because the employees have been able to keep the service from going totally down the tubes, no thanks to management.
[post="174817"][/post]​

Amen!

Doc,

Whatever. My primary point was that the business model, the franchise, the target market, the route-structure, the hubs, are all fundamentally broken and have been for well over a decade.

Doc said:
Pleassssssssssssssse don't sit in your chair and tell me this compamy operated on loses for 10 years you didn't just say that ....How in the world could any company operate on year after year of loses you are really missing something.
The money was going somewhere just not the balance sheats.
[post="174867"][/post]​

Sure yo can. With sufficient cash flow a company can last for many years without actually showing a profit. As long as there is sufficient cash on hand to pay the most overdue, most pressing bills, a company can continue to operate. Always remember that there is a difference between operating revenue and profit.

You see it in individuals all the time. You have someone who is making $50,000/yr, he/she gets a sweetheart mortgage deal at a time when houses are not selling; so, they buy a lot more house than they can actually afford. Since they are now a homeowner, every credit card company in the nation offers them a no or low interest credit card which our poor sap then maxes out furnishing that house. And, of course, you need a new car to go with the new house, and then you have to go on a really fancy vacation--all of it on credit. And, as long as you make the mininum payments on the credit cards they are more than happy to let you carry those $10,000-$15,000 balances.

Then, one day our poor sap loses his/her job. All of a sudden the lenders ain't so nice when they think there is a chance that they might not get their money back.

This chicken is coming home to roost in a number of airlines--it just arrived a little earlier for US Airways and UAL. Even AA is not out of those woods. We have cut costs; we made a miniscule profit last quarter; but, AA still owes BILLIONS of dollars. Just like the National Debt of the Federal Government, at some point that debt has to be paid.

Pacemaker said:
[post="174822"][/post]​

Oh yes they did in 1993 and 1994 US made a profit and paid profit sharing to each employee to pay back the concessions given in 1992.