USAirways flight attendants lose boarding by seniority greviance

usfliboi

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
OurAmerican Communications - September 11, 2014

It is with great disappointment that we inform you that Arbitrator Joshua Javits formally denied our pass travel grievance that was filed to challenge the companys unilateral change in determining boarding priority from a seniority based system to a system determined by time of check- in (First Come/First Serve). The ruling by Arbitrator Javits concluded that while Section 20.B of our CBA provides how the term seniority should be defined for passes, the language does not require the company to use a seniority-based boarding priority for Flight Attendants travel benefits. In his Award, Arbitrator Javits relied heavily on Section 20.E of the CBA which states that "Seniority shall govern all Flight Attendants in case of furlough, recall, vacation preferences, bidding rights and filling of vacancies." Because the parties did not include travel passes in this provision during the negotiation for the contract, Arbitrator Javits concluded that the Company was not mandated to use seniority for determining Flight Attendants travel benefits. Of course, we vehemently disagree with Arbitrator Javits' conclusion in light of decades of practice regarding a seniority based boarding priority, as well as the existence of numerous provisions of the 2013 CBA that are governed by seniority and do not fall within the categories listed in Section 20.E.

Arbitrator Javits also concluded that while the parties had a long history of using a seniority based system for Flight Attendants travel benefits, the Company had been very careful in preserving its right to change its travel benefits policy if required in the future. Per Arbitrator Javits, the addition of the substantially reduced language to Section 26G.1 was the companys way of preserving its right to make changes to its travel pass policy, which the company succeeded in obtaining during the negotiations for the 2013 CBA.

Mr. Javits recognized that the new travel policy would have some adverse impact to flight attendants because of our lack of access to a computer at all times compared to other employee groups. However, he opined that the number of flight attendants affected is likely to be very small and this restriction would also be applicable to the pilot group. As such, Arbitrator Javits ruled that while there may have been a reduction in overall travel benefits for Flight Attendants, this was not a substantial reduction in benefits. Arbitrator Javits also noted that the company's new travel policy provides some level of increased benefits to all flight attendants, including the addition of more daily flights and access to many more destinations, both domestically and internationally.

Needless to say, we are very disappointed in Arbitrator Javits ruling and we are just as frustrated as you are about the broad changes in the travel policy. For decades we have relied on a seniority based boarding priority to get to work and make our living in order to support ourselves and our families. As you know, the addition of more daily flights and the access to more destinations are irrelevant if we cannot make it to work. If you encounter any problems in commuting to work as a result of the new travel policy and you receive a "stuck commute" under the Dependability program, please let your base representatives know so that a grievance can be filed on your behalf.

As a side note, the initial draft Award was sent to the parties approximately six weeks after the hearing. This is a common practice in the arbitration process. Typically, the System Board Members will then have a confidential Executive Session to discuss the particulars of the Award and may ask questions and request further clarification from the arbitrator before the final Award is written and signed. In this instance, the company leaked the results of the Arbitration Award before the ink was dry on the preliminary draft. Perhaps they could not contain their glee. To say that this was highly irregular and improper is an understatement and their action shows a complete and flagrant disregard for both the spirit and the letter of the grievance process. Let us hope that this does not represent the attitude of The New American toward its frontline employees future concerns and rights under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

In Solidarity,

Glenda J. Talley
CEC Grievance Chairperson

E-mail Us

APFA PHX Website

APFA LUS Website

Contact Us

LUS DCA 724-544-6979
LUS PHX 480-966-1231
LUS PHL 215-492-0840
LUS CLT 704-527-0325

APFA Weekly Hotline Sign-Up

APFA National Website

© Association of Flight Attendants-CWA at US Airways | www.afausa.org | Click here to unsubscribe

Reactions: 1 person
AAL AF Posters/Readers my bet is this issue will be moved forward in JCBN with ALL Groups NC's. We will then see where this NR Boarding issue ranks in importance to the Rank/File ? IMO NR Boarding should be by Seniority . 

psa8979 said:
AAL AF Posters/Readers my bet is this issue will be moved forward in JCBN with ALL Groups NC's. We will then see where this NR Boarding issue ranks in importance to the Rank/File ? IMO NR Boarding should be by Seniority . 
Not only will it not be of importance in the JCBN, it won't if be a negotiated item IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
psa8979 said:
Just about everyone at AA likes the current system, so I don't think it will be an issue at all.

Reactions: 4 people
AANOTOK said:
Not only will it not be of importance in the JCBN, it won't if be a negotiated item IMO.
Bingo!  All the wailing, gnashing of teeth, and donning sackcloth and ashes is of no use.  Non-Rev travel has never been a negotiated item in the CBA at American to the best of my knowledge,and I doubt seriously that the company would allow its hands to be tied by letting this issue become negotiated in the future.  And, I think the PMUS f/as will have a hard time convincing an arbitrator that the change makes their getting to work impossible when the PMAA f/as (who are a much larger group) also commute, have been using a FCFS system forever, and have managed to make it to work for years.

In the Fleet Service Agreement at LUS, Article 7A. it states,

"Date of hire seniority is defined as continuous USairways service in any department and shall be applied to: vacation accrual, boarding for on-line space available non-revenue travel and service awards. Adjustments to Date of Hire seniority based on past seniority policies shall remain in place.After the effective date of this agreement there will be no adjustments to Date of Hire seniority"

Clear as day in the Fleet Service CBA. Non-Rev travel will be boarded by DOH.

Seniority is all we have left anymore.

Gentlemen, please try to remember there is your current contract which may have that phrase in it.  Then there is the JCBA with your contemporaries at PMAA that is currently being negotiated.  As with the pilots, the f/as, and mechanics and other represented groups, the PMAA side of the house is much larger than the PMUS side of the house.  The chances that phrase about non-rev boarding survives in the JCBA are slim to none.  Even if your representatives got it into the JCBA language, there is no chance that management will sign on even to a Tentative Agreement that contains that language.

Reactions: 3 people
What JCBA's are currently being negotiated now? I know Fleet Service is not in JCBA talks yet. I understand that PMAA has a larger group of employees than PMUS, but what difference does that make? We should be in this together, not against each other. IMO, D.O.H. boarding is better than First come First serve. Seniority is all we have left in this business, and to take that little bit away seems, to me, shameful. I mean, what’s next, going to a First come First serve way to bid vacations? Shifts and days off? I know that is an extreme example, but that also is in our CBA and can be negotiated out, same as the boarding priority language. I don't pretend to know what will or will not be in any tentative agreement, that language may or may not survive, only time will tell, but until then, it is, and should be abided by.

pjirish317 said:
What JCBA's are currently being negotiated now? I know Fleet Service is not in JCBA talks yet. I understand that PMAA has a larger group of employees than PMUS, but what difference does that make? We should be in this together, not against each other. IMO, D.O.H. boarding is better than First come First serve.

The JCBA, when it is negotiated, will express the desires and preferences of the majority of the affected employees.  The majority of the covered employees have been boarding by FCFS for a long time, and see nothing wrong with it.  (Well there may be a few on the PMAA side that think that not quitting and not dying deserves special treatment, but not enough to make a difference.)  You may think that DOH is better.  The majority do not.

Besides, as I said before, you will never see even a tentative contract offered for a ratification vote that contains any restrictions on the company's ability to change, modify, or terminate a granted benefit.  The company would have to agree to it before it could be called a TA, and I am fairly certain that the company is not going to do that.

P.S.  Why isn't your union in JCBA talks yet?  The pilots are.  The f/as are.  It is a requirement for the merger to be complete.  Why do you think that US East and US West are still operated pretty much as separate airlines?  Because the pilots never agreed to a JCBA.  I don't think such a situation is going to be allowed to continue in this merger.  Refusing to negotiate in good faith might get a group in a "no union at all" position.

pjirish317 said:

"Date of hire seniority is defined as continuous USairways service in any department and shall be applied to: vacation accrual, boarding for on-line space available non-revenue travel and service awards. Adjustments to Date of Hire seniority based on past seniority policies shall remain in place.After the effective date of this agreement there will be no adjustments to Date of Hire seniority"

That issue I'm sure right now is in the process of being grieved through the IAM procedures and will more than likely also be decided in arbitration.

pjirish317 said:

So pmUS fleet service will win their grievance.    So what?   I doubt you'll get specific performance (Parker probably won't have to provide fleet service with DOH while everyone else is FCFS), so money is the only way to compensate for the "harm" caused by Parker's unilateral change.  

Can you quantify that harm?    Some individuals in your workgroup (the long-timers) will lose their boarding preference but others in your workgroup (those hired more recently) will gain big - as they now have an equal shot at NRSA seats.

pjirish317 said:
What JCBA's are currently being negotiated now? I know Fleet Service is not in JCBA talks yet. I understand that PMAA has a larger group of employees than PMUS, but what difference does that make? We should be in this together, not against each other. IMO, D.O.H. boarding is better than First come First serve. Seniority is all we have left in this business, and to take that little bit away seems, to me, shameful. I mean, what’s next, going to a First come First serve way to bid vacations? Shifts and days off? I know that is an extreme example, but that also is in our CBA and can be negotiated out, same as the boarding priority language. I don't pretend to know what will or will not be in any tentative agreement, that language may or may not survive, only time will tell, but until then, it is, and should be abided by.
PJ of course this is a personal opinion but I don't agree with seniority boarding. When it comes to travel people are affected monetarily paying for things like Hotels and Car rentals for vacations. If someone cannot be bothered to stand in line as early as possible to make sure they get on a flight, why should they be rewarded because they have a lower employment number than someone else? And I'm a huge advocate for the seniority system but not when it comes to being off the clock.

And besides what some of you have to realize is that by percentage us on the AA side have some very serious seniority over you guys. I really don't think you would want to add our seniority to that mix if you were trying to get on a flight.

Not a flame, a serious question. What is it about FCFS that people like? I've never used it.

One issue I have as a crew member is that often we are in the air, thus unable to check-in 24 hours in advance.

Reactions: 2 people