Usairways Hiring More Part Time Customer Service

Phoenix

Veteran
Apr 16, 2003
Visit site
Wow. I can't believe anyone could work as a part time customer service rep to airline customers and have a smile on their face while making just $8.86 an hour! We are the new LCC (Lynching, and Caining Company).

McDonald's doesn't require you to smile at customers, there is no extensive background check, and you can eat a meal for free! And if you can smile, Starbuck's has great benefits for part time employees, without the month long training program.

Job Description

US AIRWAYS

Customer Service Agents

Requirements
 You must be customer service oriented and able to interact with customers and fellow employees in a professional manner.
 You must be able to lift up to 70lbs.
 You must be comfortable using a computer and keyboard.
 You will be required to pass a background, drug and fingerprint screening.

Hours
 The hours of this position will vary.
 This position will be part time.
 Part time typically means four (4) hour shifts, however there are locations where part-time shifts could be slightly longer (4.5 to 5 hours).
 Your shifts will be rebid on average every three (3) months.
 The shifts could start anytime from 5AM to 1AM.
 Due to the changes with the position hours and shifts, there is little flexibility to meet outside schedule constraints

Salary
 $8.86 per hour
 You will be paid for training.

Training
 You will be required to attend four (4) weeks of training either in Pittsburgh, PA or Charlotte, NC.
 You will leave for training on Sundays and return home on Friday evenings. Class is conducted on a Monday through Friday schedule.
 Air transportation will be provided to and from the training location.
 You will stay in a hotel at the Company’s expense
 You will be given a per diem of $23.00 per day while in training to cover the cost of meals. You will be responsible for purchasing your own meals while away at training and will be reimbursed at the rate of $23.00 per day for each day of training. Per diem reimbursement is paid in one lump sum at the end of training.
 You will be required to pass tests during the training. If you do not successfully complete training, you will not be offered a position.
 Actual job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of training and the needs of the company.
 Dress code for training is business casual.

Uniforms
You will be responsible for purchasing the initial basic uniform pieces.

How are they able to do this with all the agents who are still furloughed? They have to offer them a "recall" first.

What does CWA have to say about this. This to me is a major dispute.

They have been hiring in a few different cities for "MidAtlantic" agents. These agents don't work for either of the Express carriers, they are new hires to US Airways in the MDA division, and only handle E170 flights.

They advertise these positions as regular US Airways. MidAtlantic is not an airline, it does not exist, and therefore they dont have to include the name when hiring. There are a few customer service/ramp positions in PHL on usairways.com that don't specify that they are MDA.

Pitbull..
Not many FT workers have accepted the PT positions and many PT's on furlough won't come back, thus the new hires.

Mid Atlantic does not exist? I guess we can stop the DOT advisement...US Airways operated by Mid Atlantic. It's just a figment of our imagination.

A few months ago LGA advertised eight new part time CSA positions. Over 400 hundred people showed up for the interview -- for a $8 per hour job in a high cost of living city. I was at the airport when the interviews happened and saw many of the applicants.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Just because someone interviews does not mean they will get the job.

They have to pass:
Background Check
Drug Test
Stress Test.

Like I said in Charlotte they hired 40 part-time fleet service agents and only 10 made the cut. 75% washed out.

As I have said before, the last time they hired for Res., the majority of applicants din't even make it through the interviews and the many of the ones that did didn't pass the drug test and then many of those didn't make it through training for one reason or another.

Then again, if management has to do mass hiring, they will see the type of people that will be applying for these low paying jobs and I'm sure the qualifications will become more lax so as to fill the positions. They will get exactly what they pay for.

bobcat said:
Mid Atlantic does not exist? I guess we can stop the DOT advisement...US Airways operated by Mid Atlantic. It's just a figment of our imagination.
[post="189631"][/post]​

Exactly. There is no actual airline called MidAtlantic Airways. Ask the FAA... where's the certificate?

There is no advisement to the DOT. It's US Airways Express: MidAtlantic Airways Operated by US Airways. That's even on the side of the plane.

Airlines are required to advise passengers of the actual airline operating thier flights, res agents will say "thats US Airways Express operated by XYZ Airlines", the web site will tell you which carrier it is if you click on the flight number, and the boarding passes say US EXP- MESA or US EXP-PSA etc. Since MDA is only a division of the airline, none of the above is reguired. The website and boarding passes say US Airways, and the flights are "mainline"- not Express- flight numbers. No need to advise the customers, because the flight is operated by US Airways.

The MidAtlantic name is simply an in-house confusion tactic. MDA was to be a seperate wholly-owned at one point but that did not happen and it became part of mainline. Put the Express title on it, and you can "Mainline Express" a station, and convince crews they are on a "regional jet" and should be paid accordingly. Call it "MidAtlantic" and uninformed employees will view it as another airline, and not as thier own in-house competition and/or future. Giving it a vague identity as an "airline" as opposed to US Airways Inc- E170/175 Division (as the FAA refers to it) kills any ownership, entitlement, and most importantly solidarity that people will have. It creates an "us against them" or "another Express carrier" situation instead of an "Oh my God look at this horrible contract they want us to operate ONE HUNDRED seaters under!" situation. It's been effective so far.

USA320Pilot said:
A few months ago LGA advertised eight new part time CSA positions. Over 400 hundred people showed up for the interview -- for a $8 per hour job in a high cost of living city. I was at the airport when the interviews happened and saw many of the applicants.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="189636"][/post]​

That does not indicate how many actually took a P/T job for that rate. I know that they had the same type of response when our station went to Express. Tons of people showed up for the ad, which only stated that they were Jobs at US Airways.
Once the people heard the starting rate, 1/2 of them got up and walked out. Then they were told that most of the jobs were only P/T, and more left. When all was said and done, there were not enough to fill the openings. Some were rejected due to background check problems, and drug testing issues as well. Maybe there should be a Job fair for Pilots starting at $20 an hour to fly your 320.

I dont know why the big push for part timers other than the fact that they dont want anyone to stay here for very long anymore. We have heard that we would be getting CARS or calling back more part time agents in the near future (fingers crossed we're still here) instead of upgrading some of the full time agents that have been downgraded. I wonder why they are wanting to hire MORE agents (with benefits) instead of giving us 4 more hours a day and being done with it? Those of us who were downgraded are getting full time benefits already so it wouldnt be adding any more benefits cost to the bottom line to upgrade us again instead of bringing more people into the mix or at least giving those of us here more hours spread over the entire group if needed (5 or 5 1/2 hours instead of 4). I just dont get this company sometimes. Well, actually most of the time. :p

tadjr said:
I dont know why the big push for part timers other than the fact that they dont want anyone to stay here for very long anymore. We have heard that we would be getting CARS or calling back more part time agents in the near future (fingers crossed we're still here) instead of upgrading some of the full time agents that have been downgraded. I wonder why they are wanting to hire MORE agents (with benefits) instead of giving us 4 more hours a day and being done with it? Those of us who were downgraded are getting full time benefits already so it wouldnt be adding any more benefits cost to the bottom line to upgrade us again instead of bringing more people into the mix or at least giving those of us here more hours spread over the entire group if needed (5 or 5 1/2 hours instead of 4). I just dont get this company sometimes. Well, actually most of the time. :p
[post="189734"][/post]​

I think American executives' long range plan is to have a good percentage of workers as "while actually employed" workers . . . . . meaning no set schedule and if they don't need you, you're sent home. Probably no pay for reporting as ordered, then being sent home if there's not enough work. Maybe split shifts. Of course, no benefits at all. Of course, also, the execs get 30 years retirement credit for 2 years work, or maybe just $4.5 million severance (above the table, plus house loan forgiven, etc, etc). If you're interested, ask Dave Siegel how it worked out for him. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Food store chain in Dallas area is cutting full time folks also. It appears almost all employees will be part time with the exception of Mgrs. :(

Albertsons Inc. said Friday that it has converted a majority of its 10,000 Dallas-Fort Worth store employees to part-time status as it cuts costs in a market where it had been No. 1 until 2003.

Link to Full story: (requires easy sign-up)

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/bus/storie...sons.1bb52.html