USAirways Reports April Traffic

PITbull

Veteran
Dec 29, 2002
www.usaviation.com
US AIRWAYS REPORTS APRIL TRAFFIC
ARLINGTON, Va., May 5, 2003 -- US Airways reported its April 2003 passenger traffic today.
Revenue passenger miles for April 2003 decreased 14.1 percent on 13.8 percent less capacity compared to April 2002. The passenger load factor for the month was 74.1 percent, a 0.3 percentage point decrease compared to April 2002.
Year-to-date 2003 revenue passenger miles decreased 14.1 percent on 13.2 percent less capacity compared to the first four months of 2002. The passenger load factor for the period was 69.3 percent, a 0.7 percentage point decrease compared to the same period in 2002.
The three wholly owned subsidiaries of US Airways Group, Inc. -- Allegheny Airlines, Inc., Piedmont Airlines, Inc., and PSA, Inc. -- reported a 23.3 percent decrease in revenue passenger miles for the month of April on 20.3 percent less capacity. The passenger load factor was 53.5 percent, a 2.1 percentage point decrease compared to April 2002.
Year-to-date 2003, Allegheny Airlines, Inc., Piedmont Airlines, Inc., and PSA, Inc., reported a 14.4 percent decrease in revenue passenger miles on 13.3 percent less capacity. The passenger load factor was 49.9 percent, a 0.6 percentage point decrease compared to the first four months of 2002.
System mainline passenger unit revenue for April 2003 is expected to be even, or up 1.0 percent compared to April 2002.
US Airways ended the month by completing 99.5 percent of its scheduled flights.
Certain of the information contained herein should be considered forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, that reflect the company''s current views with respect to current events and financial performance. Such forward looking statements are and will be, as the case may be, subject to many risks, uncertainties and factors relating to the company''s operations and business environment which may cause the actual results of the company to be materially different from any future results, express or implied, by such forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from these forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the following: the ability of the company to operate pursuant to the terms of its financing facilities; the ability of the company to obtain and maintain normal terms with vendors and service providers; the company''s ability to maintain contracts that are critical to its operations; the ability of the company to fund and execute its business plan; the ability of the company to attract, motivate and/or retain key executives and associates; the ability of the company to attract and retain customers; the ability of the company to maintain satisfactory labor relations; demand for transportation in the markets in which the company operates; economic conditions; labor costs; financing costs; aviation fuel costs; security-related costs; competitive pressures on pricing (particularly from lower-cost competitors) and on demand (particularly from low cost carriers and multi-carrier alliances); weather conditions; government legislation and regulation; impact of the Iraqi war; other acts of war or terrorism; the commencement of public trading and market acceptance of the company''s new common stock; and other risks and uncertainties listed from time to time in the company''s reports to the United States Securities and Exchange Commission. Other factors and assumptions not identified above are also involved in the preparation of forward-looking statements, and the failure of such other factors and assumptions to be realized may also cause actual results to differ materially from those discussed. The company assumes no obligation to update such estimates to reflect actual results, changes in assumptions or changes in other factors affecting such estimates other than as required by law.

US AIRWAYS REPORTS APRIL TRAFFIC
ARLINGTON, Va., May 5, 2003 -- US Airways reported its April 2003 passenger traffic today.
Revenue passenger miles for April 2003 decreased 14.1 percent on 13.8 percent less capacity compared to April 2002. The passenger load factor for the month was 74.1 percent, a 0.3 percentage point decrease compared to April 2002.

Just a brief point:
Whenever the company makes a statement about decreased capacity, they should also mention that they have laid off 35% of the work force since 911. Doing so would put things in the proper perspective.

Fine....I agreed to the 5% deferral and I can understand it but, please!.....enough with the fleet reductions! Come September I see plans call for a "modest fleet reduction"....aka 100s or 1000s more furloughs. There is never any good news around here and the morale sucks. Seems they don't care about morale at ALL.

yeah.....system bookings of 118,000 Monday, 93,000 today, and 97,000 for tomorrow.......but there is no war effect.

178.00 fares to the west coast to spur additonal traffic.....but there is no war effect.

282 million dollar first quarter loss, even after additonal furloughs and concessions......but there is no war effect.

Get your head out of your behind......just because the war is over doesn''t mean that the effects will not linger. You agreed to the war clause as a part of your contract....tough it out like the rest of us. When the war effect is over, you will get your snap back and pay back.

Mark,

That was the quarter ending March 31, 2003. War started March 21. In fact, the company did not report the $206 million dollars give to them from the taxpayers from the "war event" bail out bill that passed in April. Why? ANSWER: BECAUSE THIS IS THE QUARTER REPORT ENDING MARCH 31. We had bad weather on the East Coast in February HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WAR. Factor that in to the equation, take those losses out and what do you have genius? Every single year the first quarter is slow and revenues are down. That's our history....pal. "Fresh Start" accounting adjustments? And included in these losses were probably mega attorney and court fees?
Take your head out of "management's" behind.....

WE AS LABOR DID NOT SIGN ON TO BUY RJS. That was given in our previous concession (ALL TWO OF THEM $1.6 Billion worth per year and that EXCLUDES the 5%). There will be no profit, if you know anything abut accounting practices...U IS BUYING PLANES!

I didn't agree to any of that winter agreement for your FYI.

Please don't pat yourself on the back....my contractual senority saved my job, otherwise, I would have been part of the 18000 that have lost theirs. Where do you fit in that equation Sir?

We have missing employees to the sound of approx. 18,000 folks. They were not saved, and there is not ONE day that goes by that I forget this.

Mark,
The only way the majority of those 18,000 employees will return will be as mainline express employees.ClE and MKE were the first to go but there will be many more to follow. With authorization for 465 RJ''s there will be very few mainline stations left and a lot of stations where mainline flies won''t have our people working them. ie.Carribean destinations.

Yes the results were for the quarter ending March 31st. Yes War started March 21st. But the effects of the "troop build up" in the region and the threat of war had an impact on first quarter results. Why do you think we came up with the marketing idea of allowing customers to change their travel in the event of war? Bookings were down on the premise that we would be going to war. That had an effect on March bookings.

The company did not report 206 million dollars from the government, because we havent'' received any money yet. There is no guarantee that we will even get that amount or a percentage of it and we may get that as tax relief versus an actual cash payment. And a big note here....this is a reimbursement for money paid out by the company for security related items. This isn''t a hand out. This isn''t some grant. We had to borrow this money from our DIP finances to pay to reinforce cockpit doors and the other security measure dictate by the TSA and office of homeland security.

And where is it that you see all of our concession money going to buy RJ''s? Have we secretly placed an order that no one here knows about? YOUR concessions went to save YOUR JOB! Without them, none of us would be here to argue these points at all.

May is usually a slow month anyway. Spring Break is over and the kids arent out of school yet, thats why I usually try to bid a week of vacation in May. Of course, the one day I''m trying to nonrev everything is full. Guess I''ll just get to see America to get to PHL!
Lets keep em full (just one seat is all I ask).

Where do I fit in? I am a part of the solution. I come to work everyday, giving it 110% to try and turn things around to get some of these 18K employees back. I have never lost sight of the fact that so many people suffer much greater losses then I do. That is why you will never hear me complain about the additional 5%, I know I am very fortunate.

So, how do you figure that our concessions are going to pay for this phantom RJ order that hasn''t been placed yet? Where is this 206 million that we supposedly got a check for? With bookings under 100K today and tomorrow, where is the No War Effect?

I do understand that Mike....I really do. CLE, MKE, SDF, DAY, AVP, BTV, BHM are all mainline express stations. ABE will be going Mainline Express with the June schedule. I am sure that this is just the start of the list of cities. But that does not stop me from coming to work and doing the best that I can in hopes of returning some of these people to work at some point and time.

how come in most markets its a bear to non-rev any most place?planes seem to be full and we get screwed of our 5%.......we signed off on that and expect it to go the distance!

Mark,
Actually,just CLE and MKE are mainline express.The other cities were closed or announced before this concession package was ratified and those folks were not given this option.

Mark said, 178.00 fares to the west coast to spur additonal traffic.....but there is no war effect.

These fares are a direct response to HP. Nothing to do with war effect. I agree with most here that we have given mgmt the tools to go forward. Other than hiring an excellent legal team to reorganize (I know, I know-no small feat), this upper mgmt has yet to think outside the box. You want to spur traffic? Come up with something that sets us apart from the rest. It''s a dead horse, but simplify the fares! You''ve read the clamoring here and elsewhere for it. Do it. Don''t just knee-jerk with money-losing (your words) fares to the west. Set us apart. Just do SOMETHING!

INVOL