Usairways Unattractive To Unemployed

unit4clt

Senior
Jan 6, 2003
Here is a article for those who think the Company Wont have trouble replacing its workers.

CHARLOTTE OBSERVER nov 18
A job seeker eyes US Airways

Working at struggling carrier is a tough sell, even for unemployed

STAN CHOE
Staff Writer

What would you do?

You're 32 and looking for work, hoping to avoid a second-straight holiday season without a job. You've got 12 years' experience in information technology, but have been laid off three times in four years.

You notice a job ad in the paper, pitching free airplane tickets as a perk. It's US Airways, the airline fighting to survive by slashing its workers' pay and job security.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/10210261.htm

That's why George Bush wants to open the flood gates of immigration. See! You won't take a $5 an hour job? But some illegal alien Mexican national will, and live 3 families to a cheap apartment and go to the hospital to have their babies on Mediaid, or just not pay and have YOU foot the bill indirectly with YOUR insurance. Great for management and shareholders. Bad for the (trying) to work American middle class.

Tell George to pound sand on his immigration policy. I'm sure George loves what Lakefield is doing.

It has nothing to do with George Bush. This industry failed to adapt to the new reality of air travel and wants labor to flip the bill for inept management. Where does it end, When will Mexico start nursing mills, or IT mills to crank out qualified applicants for those industries. What if one day the hospitals decided their cost were to high and decided to hire nurses at $5.00 an hour and slash all nurses pay and benifits by 50%. They say O'well sooooooooory, have to do it to be competive. Would the public stand for that... Probably, if it made their insurance go down, but how could you trust you were safe. When NAFTA opened the floodgates to cheap labor, ALL Industries began to devalue the american worker. And if they havn't yet, THEY WILL. It's America today. :angry:
PS: NAFTA was not a Republican product...

unit4clt said:
When they got to the hotel, they found people grumbling in line over the pay, $7.17 an hour. That's before union dues come out, as well as a $10-per-pay-period fee for uniforms, Ferdinand said.
[post="202146"][/post]​

Who says you have to pay union dues?

CS AGENT said:
This industry failed to adapt to the new reality of air travel and wants labor to flip the bill for inept management.
[post="202254"][/post]​

First let me start by fairy stating that I can not answer my own question, but I would like to hear your anwer to it.

Explain your statement I quoted while answering the following:
What is the correlation between "industry failing to adapt" and "inept management"?
The industry did not casually change over a couple of years, it was pushed on 9-11. How would you, being an industy leader, make it happen without the necessary labor changes.

PITMTC said:
First let me start by fairy stating that I can not answer my own question, but I would like to hear your anwer to it.

Explain your statement I quoted while answering the following:
What is the correlation between "industry failing to adapt" and "inept management"?
The industry did not casually change over a couple of years, it was pushed on 9-11. How would you, being an industy leader, make it happen without the necessary labor changes.
[post="202288"][/post]​
Well for one thing I would not take out my double barreled shotgun and open it up on the very people who can make or break you. This is common sense which is lacking on all fronts when it comes to this management team of which you vainly try to defend.

deano said:
Well for one thing I would not take out my double barreled shotgun and open it up on the very people who can make or break you. This is common sense which is lacking on all fronts when it comes to this management team of which you vainly try to defend.
[post="202295"][/post]​
couldn't have said it better.........
i agree

deano said:
[post="202295"][/post]​

A. What you would not do does not answer what you would and your example is consistant with one I would get from a simple person.
B. Contrary to what you choose to read from my comments, I do not defend this management. I will only do that when they have proved to me that what is transpiring right now is for the good of the company. I can not see that yet.

What you would read from my posts, if you were not looking at things one way always, is: my opinion is that everything that is going on is the workers or unions or managments fault. I own up to my mistakes and can easily admit when I see failure in what I or my group does. I DO NOT blame EVERYTHING on management and I DO NOT blame EVERYTHING on the union workers. What some people clearly fail to understand is that not every management person is responsibly for what is going on or what has happened.
A little open-mindness and acceptance of failure on your part would open your mind up to an honest debate.
As long as the "it's all managements fault" answer to everything continues, we will fail to debate responsibly.

PITMTC said:
A. What you would not do does not answer what you would and your example is consistant with one I would get from a simple person.

[post="202301"][/post]​

A simple person is one who stays trying to convince employees that the SH**T falling on them is harmless and doesn't stink.

A simple person stays when offered better opportunities, "as you boasted" knowing it's over and only the date has yet to be determined.

A simple person comes on these boards knowing full well it's overflowing with disgruntled employees and insulting them with inflammatory remarks delivered with a condescending attitude.

A simple person is well demonstrated in your posts.

Contrary to what you choose to read from my comments, I do not defend this management. I will only do that when they have proved to me that what is transpiring right now is for the good of the company. I can not see that yet.
and so you see the heartlessness of U managements outsourcing to affect both of us now,eh?
heartlessness and lack of reason to do it.....2% of budget and all these jobs out the door on both sides of the fence?
why??
spite?? :down:

deano said:
A simple person is one who stays trying to convince employees that the SH**T falling on them is harmless and doesn't stink.

A simple person stays when offered better opportunities, "as you boasted" knowing it's over and only the date has yet to be determined.

A simple person comes on these boards knowing full well it's overflowing with disgruntled employees and insulting them with inflammatory remarks delivered with a condescending attitude.

A simple person is well demonstrated in your posts.
[post="202305"][/post]​

I never said what is going on is harmless. I know that having to deal with paycuts, benefit premium increases and the mental stress related with the events are difficult on one. They are difficult on me and yes it does "stink".
I did not boast earlier, I simply gave an example that we will find other good jobs irregardless of USAirways on our resumes.
I fully understand what is going on with the company and at times I am angry and lose faith aslo, but I do not blame the workers for every failure or lack in progress. I do not believe I made inflammatory remarks, did I? The attitude maybe ;)
If what I post makes me seem simple to you then simple you are not.

delldude said:
and so you see the heartlessness of U managements outsourcing to affect both of us now,eh?
heartlessness and lack of reason to do it.....2% of budget and all these jobs out the door on both sides of the fence?
why??
spite?? :down:
[post="202306"][/post]​

dell, there is no doubt on my mind that we are "both" going to take hits. What one calls heartless another would call a business decision. If it affects you, you call it heartless, if it does not, you call it business. I happen to call it business even though it is going to affect me. What can I say dude, I accept reality as it seem is going to happen to me.
I can not go on strike, I can not vote on a proposal. I just accept it and stay or not take the chance and leave. I am betting big-time right now.

PITMTC...fair question. One thing that I have noticed in all my years is the faliure of the legacy carriers to adapt to the changing industry. That would be my defination of inept management. Management should have a vision so to speak and with Usairways it seems that we are always a follower and not a leader. The industry from this res agents standpoint began to shift towards the leisure travelers instead of the business travelers way prior to 9/11. The biz traveler has always been the bread and butter and the leisure traveler the gravy. No matter how I look at it the biz traveler has always subsidized the leisure traveler. With the introduction of teleconferancing and the cut back in biz travel the legacy carriers have lost $$$$. That is the reason the so called LCC have succeeded IMO. The leisure traveler was always their bread and butter. We now have biz travelers using the leisure travelers flying habits staying over that saturday night just to get a lower fare or going to a city close to home instead of their home city to get the lower fare . I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the statement "You guys are milking the business traveler". Hate to say it, but there was some truth to that statement. I guess a lot of other industries can also follow the same suite. Lack of vision. There has been a lot of talk about "self help" if the contracts are voided. IMO the biz traveler has already begun their "self help." Not to say one can blame them. Think Bob Dylan said it the best "The Times they are a-changing. ". There ya go, MCORORES's theory on how the industry was changing prior to 9/11 and not one flame thown out there from me on this post LOL.