Vote with thought...not emotions!!

AOG-N-IT

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Over the last few days , I have had a chance to speak to numerous IAM members. These folks were from varying disciplines within the group. I have noted that in almost all cases. The No's were voting from a position of anger...not from clear thinking. Many are distressed..and I might add rightfully so , over issues that have roots going back many years. The current situation is a culmination of many years of "Poor Leadership"...and single-minded goals. (W&G) for example. Many people are angry about the company paying the IAM $1.25M for negotiating fees....This I agree with as well. [:(] I believe Our dues are designed to cover the cost of needed negotiations. This little ordeal spells it out for me..That the IAM is part of the problem. They are not representing us....as much as they are interested in pacification of the issues and collecting continued dues. Some are calling "Dave Siegel" just another slick talker in a suit...Maybe?..Maybe Not? I happen to believe that he is interested in keeping this company aloft...as am I!!. I do not see placing blame at Siegels feet. Be honest about it!!! , He inherited a mess..and he's trying to make something positive out of this for the majority of us. Siegel will not lose either way..understand that!! and take it to heart. He will not miss a car payment..a mortgage payment..or even a trip to the clothing store , for a new suit. Our Bucking Up against his plan...will disrupt some lives..and ruin thousands more. We need to concentrait on getting things of the past corrected...but we need to do this from a position of strength and health involving "Our Airline". Lets let that take place...then attack those whom we pay to negotiate for us. They are obviously out for themselves...not us!! Realize that your anger should be with "Past Leadership" and "Current Representation"...not so much the company itself. We are not the only carrier out there...nor are we the only carrier in need of "Sweeping Reform" to become profitable and to provide futures to multitudes of dependent souls. This is not the USAir of the 80's or the late 90's....this is not even the USAirways of 2001. Those were the profits of falsehoods and inflated stock values.(Merger Mania) We are now reaping the fall-out of those falsehoods. Had those inflated stock prices been real?..had we had actual "Stand Alone" staying power?, We would not be in our present condition. Face it!!..we had serious issues during the best of economic times..and we were not remotely prepared for the slightest downturn in the industry..or the global economy. This in summation is crunch time...Vote to retain jobs..or vote to become the Ghost of Eastern present. The issues with representation and such can be addressed later. We have to insure there is a later[:)] [:(]

----------------
On 8/27/2002 7:20:49 AM

I agree with you. We should all (every employee in the company) take the same pay cuts, give up our pensions, have the same health care costs, get paid for only the hours you work not down time or waiting time, no more paid lunches or dinners, same vacations, sick leave and holidays. And Boom there you have it a profitable airline. Sounds to easy. But that's how to make it profitable. All in favor???[:)]
----------------
Or, how about this...take the groups that won't agree to help with the requested cuts, contract out as many jobs as you can. Then either furlough or fire the rest. Boom, a profitable company. Allin favor?[:0]

I agree with you. We should all (every employee in the company) take the same pay cuts, give up our pensions, have the same health care costs, get paid for only the hours you work not down time or waiting time, no more paid lunches or dinners, same vacations, sick leave and holidays. And Boom there you have it a profitable airline. Sounds to easy. But that's how to make it profitable. All in favor???[:)]

actually all the NO votes that I talk to are pretty lucid. The YES votes seem to be stumbling on their fears which are pushing the thinking into the margins.

It is pretty simple, the ramp was wronged. And like all things that are wrong, you do the right thing and stand up against it.

Sabre...Give the role of "The Victim" a rest!! Everybody feels wronged in one way or another. We will not have a chance to "Right" anything , If we don't have an airline anymore. The airline needs the stabilization funds from the Texas Group and the ATSB loans. Our fighting over issues of feeling wronged , DOES NOT change those issues. without a unified approach..and those funds ,We will not have what we need to to try to dig our way out..or have any hopes of emerging from this situation. We will either be "Liquidated" , "Piece-Parted".. or end up in the hands of Jonathan Orinstien and his Marvin Davis investment group. If you think you have problems now?...You haven't begun to see what real problems are. This idea of putting your trust in the hands of "The Man with the Wooden Gavel" will not bid well for us. This Va. Court was chosen for a reason...and it wasn't just because it's across the street from CCY either. Place Blame on the current leaders all you want...play the role of the victim all you desire..We will all be "Victims" if we don't pull with the other labor groups. The CWA and the IAM are placing us all in "Dire Straights"...Remember where you heard it ..when the company get's its way inspite of your "No Vote"...or worse , We all end up un-employed. I would much rather take my chances with Siegel's idea , than any other possible scenario. Obviously the other groups have shown thier support of this thinking too. Then again..they have never been wronged like you[:(] [:((]

If this is voted down maybe Dave will see he should have given the Mechanics a fairer proposel. Something more in line with the other labor groups. If you do not like what the judge says then appeal.

"Sabre...Give the role of "The Victim" a rest!! Everybody feels wronged in one way or another. We will not have a chance to "Right" anything"

AOG-N-IT
you sound like the victim if the the IAM membership votes down our T/A. Look all members have a single vote. that means only one vote. I myself have one vote, when I vote no on Wednesday I am sayiny with my one no vote I had enough. But I am only one vote and that is my right to vote what I feel. If 51% vote no then we know what our membership feels about our T/A or past lies or false promises of the past. I for one by saying no am not looking for a better deal from some judge, because there will be no better deal. The company has you right were they want you, this is best job you will ever have in your lifetime and you are so lucky to have it. Sorry I have much more confidence in myself, I for one have been kick around the system for 13 years hoping better times were ahead. For myself being kick around from one station closing after another, I am not scared of losing my job or starting over like some people are. Most people that vote no have plans, I give people credit when they vote no they have backup plans in life not just in anger they vote no.

GoodLuck to All.

I also recomend we take the mechanic off the paymover, let the ramp park planes, eliminate utility, and BAM we have a profitable company. Bye the way, the IAM has sold the FSA's down the river to give you mechanics a better deal. So please lets treat ALL employees the same.[:blackeye:]

757fixer...Bravo Sir!! My point is being recieved by at least one other person. A "Yes Vote" gives us a chance to fix the "Stabalization Issues" , first and foremost...The "Union Issues" can be hammered out in the aftermath of an achieved stabalization...The only issue for now , is keeping USAiways in as big of a remaining piece as possible. We can't grow out of this problem from liquidation. The attitude that we can continue to negotiate and negotiate is not practical. Time is running out on getting the needed funding...without it all coming together , It's GAME OVER!!!!!!![:knockout:]

I'm voting yes tomorrow only because I feel your better off with the devil you know,rather than the devil you don't know.(The Judge)I also mailed in my AMFA card this morning and I urge all the mechanics to do the same.The IAM has worn out it's welcome.Buh bye!

AOG nit...take two pills and lossen up.

If your sole purpose is to achieve the END of stablilization money THROUGH any means then what you have done is harm to justice.

I think you are not only way off base but your implications that if somehow the ramp votes down the contract that it will break this airline is not only implausible but nonsensical thought.
This airline's future won't be affected by the ramp whether they vote Yes or NO.

DCAflyer....Please tell me what it's like to have the ability to "TELL THE FUTURE" us mere mortals are amazed with this ability...unless of course, YOU are da judge [;)]

Sometimes you can not delay tomorrows fight anymore. Sometimes you must fight today. Woulda shoulda coulda. Now you can. When will you draw the line in the sand? Sometimes you can not run away any longer.