Voting NO could mean NO COBRA INSURANCE

flyonthewall

Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
ALL of the employees should be aware that if we go out of business the employees will have No medical, life, WC or LTD, No furlough severance for those ON or about to go on furlough and NO COBRA.
For the families who have pre-existing conditions, you won''t qualify for any individual health insurance plan. Even some group health plans still have a 12-24 month waiting period before certain pre-existing conditions are covered.
What events are not considered Triggering Events?
If an employer terminates a group health plan or amends it to reduce coverage, neither the termination nor the amendment is a qualifying event. The following events are not considered triggering events to qualify for COBRA:
Termination of Employment After Insurer Cancels Group Health Plan.
Read the rules:
http://www.cobrainsurance.net
Discuss the medical issues that families can''t do without having medical benefits.
Have had ongoing or recent health problems.
Are taking expensive medications.
Do you qualify for private insurance.
Are you pregnant or planning.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/21/2002 8:00:59 PM mlt wrote:

In the event U folds and our employees no longer have health insurance, the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA) kicks in. U would be required to issue each employee a 'certificate of credible coverage'within 60 days of plan termination. These certificates enable each of us to present to a new employer's health plan or to the plan which we elect to purchase individual coverage. These certificates prove how long an individual has had continuing coverage and lessens the pre-existing condition clause. For those employees who have had continuous coverage for years, the pre-existing condition should be non-existent. Additionally, pregnancy and new-borns are not permitted to be classified as pre-existing conditions.
----------------
[/blockquote]
That doesn't even make sense. How can a corporation which doesn't exist issue anything? If U folds, the assets will disappear quiclky and the corporation folds. The only benefits I know that employees would absolutely qualify for are those offered by your state and locality in the way of unemployment benefits. Group insurance plans, even COBRA, are very expensive, running over $350/individual, or $850/family per month. And that's if you qualify for COBRA. If U goes under, that's doubtful. Companies go under everyday. This is NOT new territory.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/21/2002 8:00:59 PM mlt wrote:

In the event U folds and our employees no longer have health insurance, the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA) kicks in. U would be required to issue each employee a 'certificate of credible coverage'within 60 days of plan termination. These certificates enable each of us to present to a new employer's health plan or to the plan which we elect to purchase individual coverage. These certificates prove how long an individual has had continuing coverage and lessens the pre-existing condition clause. For those employees who have had continuous coverage for years, the pre-existing condition should be non-existent. Additionally, pregnancy and new-borns are not permitted to be classified as pre-existing conditions.
----------------
[/blockquote]
That doesn't even make sense. How can a corporation which doesn't exist issue anything? If U folds, the assets will disappear quiclky and the corporation folds. The only benefits I know that employees would absolutely qualify for are those offered by your state and locality in the way of unemployment benefits. Group insurance plans, even COBRA, are very expensive, running over $350/individual, or $850/family per month. And that's if you qualify for COBRA. If U goes under, that's doubtful. Companies go under everyday. This is NOT new territory.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/21/2002 8:57:37 PM cavalier wrote:

Discuss the medical issues that families can't do without having medical benefits.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can qualify as a medical insurance expert given the family health issues I have been dealing with for over 2o years now. A no vote being the demise of U, does not mean it would be the demise of unhealthy people insured under U. There are many other options available. Just to name a few; social security disability, SSI, state health insurance. These programs take care of hospital stays, medications, durable medical equipment and more. We don't live in the 17th century social structure, so that argument doesn't hold water.

----------------
[/blockquote]
Getting health care at the free clinic and food at the homeless shelter is NOT most people's idea of "option's available". Check those other things out. I have. Healthcare is VERY expensive, no matter where you get it. Many will qualify for VA benefits, but don't expect them to cover your spouse or children. Some other programs, like the ones offered by states and other agencies are VERY limited, have huge copays, as well as huge monthly fees. Also, you have to be just about indigent to qualify. The options for employees if this thing goes under are GRIM indeed! Of course, you can walk in to the emergency room from the bridge you're living under, and they can't refuse to treat you in an emergency. That's not my idea of an "option" either. Don't believe me, ask any state welfare worker what percentage of unemployed people have ANY health insurance. I haven't checked lately, but It's a very low percentage.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/21/2002 8:57:37 PM cavalier wrote:

Discuss the medical issues that families can't do without having medical benefits.

I can qualify as a medical insurance expert given the family health issues I have been dealing with for over 2o years now. A no vote being the demise of U, does not mean it would be the demise of unhealthy people insured under U. There are many other options available. Just to name a few; social security disability, SSI, state health insurance. These programs take care of hospital stays, medications, durable medical equipment and more. We don't live in the 17th century social structure, so that argument doesn't hold water.

----------------
[/blockquote]
Getting health care at the free clinic and food at the homeless shelter is NOT most people's idea of "option's available". Check those other things out. I have. Healthcare is VERY expensive, no matter where you get it. Many will qualify for VA benefits, but don't expect them to cover your spouse or children. Some other programs, like the ones offered by states and other agencies are VERY limited, have huge copays, as well as huge monthly fees. Also, you have to be just about indigent to qualify. The options for employees if this thing goes under are GRIM indeed! Of course, you can walk in to the emergency room from the bridge you're living under, and they can't refuse to treat you in an emergency. That's not my idea of an "option" either. Don't believe me, ask any state welfare worker what percentage of unemployed people have ANY health insurance. I haven't checked lately, but It's a very low percentage.

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) protects health insurance coverage for workers and their families when they change or lose their jobs.

1. Help you maintain continuous health coverage for yourself and your dependents when you change jobs.

2. Help you buy health insurance coverage on your own if you lose coverage under an employer's group health plan and have no other health coverage available.

HIPAA MAY lower your chance of losing existing coverage, ease your ability to switch health plans and/or help you buy coverage on your own if you lose your employer's plan and have no other coverage available.

Although HIPAA helps protect you and your family in many ways, you should understand what it does NOT do.

HIPAA does NOT require employers to offer or pay for health coverage for employees or family coverage for their spouses and dependents.

HIPAA does NOT guarantee health coverage for all workers.

HIPAA does NOT permit people to keep the same health
coverage they had in their old job when they move to a new job.

HIPAA does NOT eliminate all use of pre-existing condition exclusions.

Case 1: If you were covered by your old employer's plan for 4 months and your new employer's plan has a 12-month pre-existing condition exclusion, your new employer's plan cannot exclude coverage for you for any pre-existing condition for more than 8 months.

Remember, Effective 01/01/2003, all employees are covered under Blue Cross Blue Shield. This will be a new insurance for all employees.

In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the company liquidates its assets to pay its creditors and ceases to exist. Therefore, it is highly likely your pension and health plans will be terminated.

Certificate of creditable coverage (available upon request even if you still have health coverage and provided automatically when your health coverage ceases)—A certificate of creditable coverage is a statement of your past health care coverage with your employer.

http://cms.hhs.gov/hipaa/hipaa1/default.asp

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) protects health insurance coverage for workers and their families when they change or lose their jobs.

1. Help you maintain continuous health coverage for yourself and your dependents when you change jobs.

2. Help you buy health insurance coverage on your own if you lose coverage under an employer's group health plan and have no other health coverage available.

HIPAA MAY lower your chance of losing existing coverage, ease your ability to switch health plans and/or help you buy coverage on your own if you lose your employer's plan and have no other coverage available.

Although HIPAA helps protect you and your family in many ways, you should understand what it does NOT do.

HIPAA does NOT require employers to offer or pay for health coverage for employees or family coverage for their spouses and dependents.

HIPAA does NOT guarantee health coverage for all workers.

HIPAA does NOT permit people to keep the same health
coverage they had in their old job when they move to a new job.

HIPAA does NOT eliminate all use of pre-existing condition exclusions.

Case 1: If you were covered by your old employer's plan for 4 months and your new employer's plan has a 12-month pre-existing condition exclusion, your new employer's plan cannot exclude coverage for you for any pre-existing condition for more than 8 months.

Remember, Effective 01/01/2003, all employees are covered under Blue Cross Blue Shield. This will be a new insurance for all employees.

In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the company liquidates its assets to pay its creditors and ceases to exist. Therefore, it is highly likely your pension and health plans will be terminated.

Certificate of creditable coverage (available upon request even if you still have health coverage and provided automatically when your health coverage ceases)—A certificate of creditable coverage is a statement of your past health care coverage with your employer.

http://cms.hhs.gov/hipaa/hipaa1/default.asp

In the event U folds (airplanes not flying) there will continue to be work performed in offices to wrap-up the loose ends (employee files, etc). I stated they are required to issue certificates for us to take to our new employers or new individually purchased plan. COBRA does not exist if the plan terminates. However, HIPAA (federal law) requires the previous employer to furnish each employee with these certificates. Feel free to double-check.

In the event U folds (airplanes not flying) there will continue to be work performed in offices to wrap-up the loose ends (employee files, etc). I stated they are required to issue certificates for us to take to our new employers or new individually purchased plan. COBRA does not exist if the plan terminates. However, HIPAA (federal law) requires the previous employer to furnish each employee with these certificates. Feel free to double-check.

According to your faith, be it unto you

According to your faith, be it unto you