Voucher Headaches Again - Media Report

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/...ng/11946847.htm

Seems someone else didnt like the limited availability of using a RTFC. I remember seeing a note in DRS on this a while ago and offered a solution to the company by having them print a form to give to those who are volunteering to read BEFORE they actually volunteer that states the rules and conditions of the voucher INCLUDING that the seats are limited and you have to be flexible to use them. Their response was no thanks. The agents are to advise the customers of all the restrictions and there are forms available in the computer to print out if needed to give to the customer with the info on it. First off, when you have a line of people who are SMF (oversold, no seats) and a line of people wanting to volunteer (with trying to find alternate flights, hotel info, etc) you very often dont have time to sit and chat and explain everything a voucher involves while working the flight. You also dont have time to search the "help" in the computer to find the info to print out explaining how a voucher is used.
Why would it be so hard to have a company form (not a computer printout) that actually addresses the concerns of the many (Im sure) consumers who have contacted C/A about this very issue? I try to take the time to explain capacity controlled when they sign up, but I know many people who dont. It would save a lot of headaches for customers AND make it one less thing for them to be able to b+tch about to the press. It could even be a form in the computer that you could print (like the CSA/WITN/RCPT) that would print the info on it automatically when you put them on the volunteer list. It spits out another boarding pass for them anyway (What a waste) might as well make THAT something productive.

Something along these lines (of course with the crack US legal team involved in the actual wording.)

"You have been added to the list as a volunteer for this flight. Volunteers are not always taken in the order added to the list depending on the alternate flight arrangements offered and cost associated with those arrangements. A determining factor might also be the actual number of volunteers needed for the flight. US Airways limits the number of vouchers (RTFCs) that are offered on its flights for booking and seats might not be available on all flights at all times. Passengers should be flexible on their booking arrangements when using the vouchers. You must call USAirways reservations to book the vouchers and must take them to a USAirways ticketing office to get the vouchers issued. You may transfer the voucher to someone, however you must take the voucher along with your id to get the ticket issued. Flights must be booked no later than 1 year from todays date or the voucher will expire. Tickets, once issued for the voucher, are good for one year from the ticketing date. Once issued, tickets may be changed to other flights for free provided seats are available in the correct booking code and the city or origin/destination do not change. For a fee, you may change the origin/destination of the ticket issued for the voucher. Tickets issued are valid anywhere USAirways flies in the Continental US or Canada. Tickets issued are not valid on Codeshare flights. Vouchers are a negotiable document and must be surrendered for a ticket to be issued. Lost vouchers are not replaceable. Other conditions and limitations may apply.

PS- Yeah, maybe next time they should fly Jetblue.......CAE-PVD? lol

This all makes way too much sense. If Crellin or Paladini didnt think of it, then it won't work. We've been pushing for something like this for years, only be be told it isnt necessary. Just another example of the waste of "talent" in the exec. offices. The people there dont have a clue as to how the real world operates at the airport.

I need PineyBob or one of my FFOCUS colleaues to detail the source... but one of the braintrusts in CCY has said publically that the airline industry is an industry of fine print. I guess this observation looms its ugly head again. Why can't someone write clear and understandable terms and conditions (even though some of the offers over the last year or so have been better)?? :down:

jimcfs said:
I need PineyBob or one of my FFOCUS colleaues to detail the source... but one of the braintrusts in CCY has said publically that the airline industry is an industry of fine print. I guess this observation looms its ugly head again.
[post="278063"][/post]​

That was Baldanza in August, 2002. And repeated on several occasions thereafter.

ClueByFour said:
I used to make it a point to get a voucher instead of the RTFC. I don't even know if agents can do this anymore.
[post="278086"][/post]​

If you volunteer, you get what is offered..if you're denied boarding due to no one giving up their seats, then you have several choices. Cash, voucher, flight credit, etc. We're always told to give the Round Trip Flight Credit and not mention any other options. Best to always make your request known and most agents will work with you on that. But it's true, trying to use an award ticket during the summer, is almost impossible.

WestCoastGuy said:
If you volunteer, you get what is offered..if you're denied boarding due to no one giving up their seats, then you have several choices. Cash, voucher, flight credit, etc. We're always told to give the Round Trip Flight Credit and not mention any other options. Best to always make your request known and most agents will work with you on that. But it's true, trying to use an award ticket during the summer, is almost impossible.
[post="278088"][/post]​

I will only volunteer if I get a voucher. NW, by the way, seems to give vouchers by default, at least they did when I volunteered my seat on a MSP-LAX flight.

You can get a $200 voucher in most cases if you ask, but it depends on the agent/supervisor working and if they want to get the vouchers to handwrite since they are locked in a safe somewhere (usually the counter). We tried the old bargain for volunteers a while ago and its a pain. I hear AA making announcements that sound like an auction sometimes. No takers at $200, lets go to $300. Its much easier to just offer an RTFC or a set price ($200 per company) than to auction things off. We can often get the people to volunteer for the vouchers and many people know how to use them and enjoy the benefits of doing this.

In the late-90s and early-00s, it was not unusual, particularly on early flights between business centers to hear the "auction." Savvy travlers know not to take the opening offer and as long as nobody cracks.....

Of course, now there is always some sucker who will take the RTFC :(.

ClueByFour said:
In the late-90s and early-00s, it was not unusual, particularly on early flights between business centers to hear the "auction."
[post="278108"][/post]​

This is about the time we tried the auction thing. I dont know the reason behind the company trying to change the process, but it didnt last too long. The agents hated the idea and when it was first announced we knew it was going to be a problem, especially after talking to some of our counterparts at AA (we share a terminal here and talk about things with each other.) Most of them hate the auction thing. It also took time away from trying to get the flights out when you were begging for volunteers holding out until the very end to get the most they could. I dont blame them for doing it, it was just an inefficient way to try to get volunteers in advance and work the flight, Imo.

US Airways no longer serves Fort Wayne. And as for thier advice to try JetBlue, JetBlue does not serve any of the cities in the article, nor does it serve Fort Wayne. Or really anywhere in the midwest at all, not even Chicago.

Sure, he could use them for a flight from Columbia to Providence - at 5:30 a.m. Their other choice, as Bresnahan puts it, was "a marathon itinerary through a distant hub."

Which distant hub would that be? You can get from CAE to PVD through CLT, PHL, or DCA, all of which are almost *exactly* on the straight line from CAE to PVD.

But just go ahead and fly JetBlue from CAE or PVD or FWA. You won't have to worry about any inconvenient times that way.

I fell kind of guilty giving out these vouchers, esepcially when the pax begins to discuss their dreams of going to PDX / ASE / HNL / SLC during Xmas break while I'm issuing them their RTFCs. Most of the US1/2/3s don't even bother to volunteer anymore (they used to be some of the easiest volunteers to solicit....)

The biggest problem I have with the whole volunteer thing is that the dollars off vouchers are not automated in SABRE. We should be able to use the 'Generate Vouchers' option in the SABRE RFND mask to compensate our volunteers. The truth is, the form on which we issue to dollars off vouchers is not kept at the gates...these Customer Relations Vouchers (CS007s I believe) are kept locked in the station safe at the ticket counter. We simply don't have them at the gate and it can be a real pain in the a$$ to get to these vouchers. ...As much as I'd like to be able to offer dollars off vouchers to pax, I simply can't due to logisitcs or time constraints. Many agents don't even know this option of compensation exists!

...Want to talk about outrageous though, why on earth do we give $400-600 in CASH compensation for Transatlantic VDBCs? Looking at the OS masks completed by PHL for some of the Transatlantic flights it looks like many nights we give out over $10 000 in CASH for denied boardings! OUTRAGEOUS! IMO, inventory (especially last summer) has been asleep at the wheel. I've traveled on AA/UA/NW and they all offer pretty much only the option of VOUCHER *or* UPGRADE (sometimes both) for any overseas VDBC.

ringmaruf said:
Which distant hub would that be? You can get from CAE to PVD through CLT, PHL, or DCA, all of which are almost *exactly* on the straight line from CAE to PVD.

But just go ahead and fly JetBlue from CAE or PVD or FWA. You won't have to worry about any inconvenient times that way.
[post="278185"][/post]​

No hub is distant on US Airways, unless you count the megahub in MHV.

Latest posts