W: "not 25% of our airlines, but you can have our ports"

Aug 20, 2002
Valhalla
www.usaviation.com
White House: Ports deal was vetted by intelligence agencies

Updated 3:42 p.m. ET, Wed Feb 22, 2006

A review by U.S. intelligence agencies found no security concerns with DP World's $6.8 billion deal to operate U.S. marine terminals, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said on Wednesday.

McClellan, defending President Bush's promise to veto legislation blocking the sale, said, "The counterterrorism experts looked at it. The intelligence community did assessments to make sure that there was no national security threat."

[The JoC Pulse online poll found that only 46 percent of readers who voted think the U.S. should approve the sale, while 53 percent believe it should not.]

"After careful review by our government, I believe the transaction ought to go forward," Bush said, referring to a study that began in October and ended without objections from the administration on Jan. 16.

"I want those who are questioning it to step up and explain why all of a sudden a Middle Eastern company is held to a different standard than a British company. I am trying to conduct foreign policy now by saying to the people of the world, 'We'll treat you fairly.'''

Opponents in Congress claim they have enough votes to override a veto, which Bush has yet to use in his six years in office.

How would foreign ownership affect you?

Why would the US want to let our ports be controlled or managed by the governement of a Arab country? I should think there's National Security Issues here. I mean, if listening into my phone calls without a warrant is necessary to National Security, why in the world would we turn over the ports?

I'll admit I'm just a simple country girl from Pasadena and may not know the ways of the world, but something just stinks here.

Let's advance my paranoia a bit futher here. What if some dumb American kid makes a silly comic book that offends Islam, would UAE shut down those ports in protest?

Something is just not right here. Is Halliburton in any way involved?

Why not just turn the TSA over to the Saudi's? Oh yeah, many Arabs find the bottoms of feet to be an offense. At least we could keep our darn shoes on!

Dea

Why would the US want to let our ports be controlled or managed by the governement of a Arab country? I should think there's National Security Issues here. I mean, if listening into my phone calls without a warrant is necessary to National Security, why in the world would we turn over the ports?

I'll admit I'm just a simple country girl from Pasadena and may not know the ways of the world, but something just stinks here.

Let's advance my paranoia a bit futher here. What if some dumb American kid makes a silly comic book that offends Islam, would UAE shut down those ports in protest?

Something is just not right here. Is Halliburton in any way involved?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Come on now. There,s no real war on terrorism. Not when there's OIL involved. They can put a rover on Mars, but can't find a guy running around in a 13th century robe. Why can't we find Bin Laden? There would be no War on Terrorism to harp about anymore, would there? Nothing to try to brainwash us all or instill fear. Whenever there's money or oil to be had, terrorism is no big deal. They miraculously start loving those Muslim and Islamic Middle Easterners real quick!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hey, I didn't do it!---------------------------
Why not just turn the TSA over to the Saudi's? Oh yeah, many Arabs find the bottoms of feet to be an offense. At least we could keep our darn shoes on!

Dea