Wants to pay his dues, does not want to join

PHX-F/A

Veteran
Aug 14, 2005
Visit site
In this weeks aboutUS, in the question and answers was the following question/answer. I'm baffled at the thought process of willing to pay, but refusal to join.

Comments?

Q. I’m a customer service agent and I would like to pay my union
dues, but no one seems to know how I can do this unless I sign a
card joining the union. I do not want to join, but do know that I am
required to pay dues. How can this be resolved?

A. Under the passenger service agreement, you are not required to be a
member of the union, but you are required to pay an "agency fee" which
is nearly the same amount as dues. You can find information in Article
33 of the passenger service agreement, which you can get by contacting
the president or secretary treasurer of the local union.

There is, or was, a West FA doing the same thing. His initials are MG and he is a FA that everyone seems to like a lot. Perhaps you might ask him directly what his rationale is regarding this. I'm pretty sure I know it, but it is not up to me to post his thoughts.

You can become a dues objector, you still have to initiate and pay the fees germane to the CBA.

However, you can't attend meetings, vote on your representation, nor can you vote on the CBA or a strike vote.

You basically save $13 or so a month and you give up your say in what happens.

Union dues are tax deductable, so what is the big deal?

In this weeks aboutUS, in the question and answers was the following question/answer. I'm baffled at the thought process of willing to pay, but refusal to join.
I'm not sure how "willing" the person is to pay. It seems as though the person wants nothing to do with unions, but recognizes s/he is legally obligated to pay something, and wants to comply with the law.

My guess is that if it were up to this person, s/he would not pay diddly.

There are also certain religious groups that do not allow their followers to be union members--something about serving two masters. I think (probably wrong) Jehovah's Witnesses is one such group.

Though, if I'm counting right, union membership is serving 3 masters--the Almighty, the company that signs my paycheck, AND the union that gets an automatic payroll deduction from me.

There are also certain religious groups that do not allow their followers to be union members--something about serving two masters. I think (probably wrong) Jehovah's Witnesses is one such group.

Though, if I'm counting right, union membership is serving 3 masters--the Almighty, the company that signs my paycheck, AND the union that gets an automatic payroll deduction from me.
I am not Serving/Worshiping two or more Masters that are getting any Payroll deduction from me, I am Cussing them out for taking MY money!!!!!!! :shock:

i havent payed any union dues. if someone approaches me and tells me i have to pay, ill quit on the spot, i dont care.

but, ive been wondering, how long can someone go without paying any dues?

i havent payed any union dues. if someone approaches me and tells me i have to pay, ill quit on the spot, i dont care.

but, ive been wondering, how long can someone go without paying any dues?

Since I don't know where you work I can only answer as it pertains to my position as a f/a on the east. Our contract specifically states that you will pay union dues. If you don't the union will have you removed from the system seniority list and the company agrees to comply. I have heard that this happens after 90 days of not paying.

Since I don't know where you work I can only answer as it pertains to my position as a f/a on the east. Our contract specifically states that you will pay union dues. If you don't the union will have you removed from the system seniority list and the company agrees to comply. I have heard that this happens after 90 days of not paying.
It is the same way on the WEST - F/A - In-Flight. You might want to check your CBA...

There is a bigger picture here. Pay your dues and hope that the strength of numbers will better your lot.

Whether you have any love or faith in your union the bottom line is the rich will get richer at your expense.

But if you don't contribute to a cause trying to reduce the gap betwen the working class and the monied class benefiting from the working class surrender any grievance regarding your situation as a piece of the machine instead of a human being.

That is correct....90 days and you can lose your job same goes for pax service.

You can become a dues objector, you still have to initiate and pay the fees germane to the CBA.

However, you can't attend meetings, vote on your representation, nor can you vote on the CBA or a strike vote.

You basically save $13 or so a month and you give up your say in what happens.

Union dues are tax deductable, so what is the big deal?
Exactly! What is the big deal. You have to pay one way or the other, why not join so that you have a true voice. Instead these bone heads #### and whine.

That's true! In the IAM you've got AGC's earning $96,000 plus expenses and those they purport to represent earn what between $9.59/hr and $17.07/hr?
Oh but that is different. They are the voice of the people they represent. So it is not evil it is good.

There is, or was, a West FA doing the same thing. His initials are ** and he is a FA that everyone seems to like a lot. Perhaps you might ask him directly what his rationale is regarding this. I'm pretty sure I know it, but it is not up to me to post his thoughts.

Yes this person is an Ellis objector. I believe the rationale was the feeling that the local council as well as international weren't resolving some issues in a manner were acceptable. I also believe there were/are issues with individuals in the local office. This FA still pays dues though.

wow, 90 days? damn, ive lasted for a while then!

Latest posts