Was shafted... how get United to compensate?

oldflyer

Aug 1, 2011
During a layover in Denver, United announced that my connecting flight was cancelled.

A friendly agent found me a flight home on Delta (as all remaining United flights that day were full) and assured me my checked bag would be transferred to Delta. The flight change added six hours to me travel (scuttling my evening plans) but at least I wasn't stranded.

BUT my checked bag did not arrive. At the Delta baggage counter I provided my baggage claim ticket and was told my bag hadn't even entered the Delta system. I was sent home without my bag. I called United and was told they couldn't help me; the rule is that your final carrier deals with the lost baggage claim, so Delta would have to deal with it.

Five days went by and my bag wasn't found. It had my camping gear so I cancelled a camping trip a few days after my flight. On the fifth day I spent hours cataloguing what was in my lost bag, hunting down receipts and filling out a lost baggage form.

The next day United called me -- they had found my bag! They located me not because they received my info from Delta -- they had no knowledge of the report I filed with Delta -- but because they saw the number I had written on the little paper thingie with the elastic string and attached at the airport. They delivered my bag tonight... FINALLY I have it... but what a hassle!

I doubt United is going to contact me and offer any kind of compensation but that is how United can make this right. Have any of you been in a similar position before? How did you handle it? Should I call customer service and ask for a free domestic ticket? Advice please. Thank you!

Oldflyer,

Welcome to the forums.

I am sorry you had been inconvenienced by your misplaced bag, but based on the information you provided, other than for goodwill purposes, I am not sure UA will offer you any compensation. As you were returning home, there would be no need to provide you with clothing or other essentials, and at the end of the day, they did find your bag and deliver to you shortly thereafter.

My advice would be to write a short and sweet email or letter to UA customer service, giving the specific details and perhaps suggesting that perhaps they could have done a better job in getting your property back to you more quickly. Most airlines do not respond well to angry letters or rants.

Good luck, but I am not sure you will be successful.

I guess you don't read much about DELTA. They are the most hated AIRLINE in the USA. Let this be a lesson. DONT FLY DELTA. It is not United's problem it started with DELTA.

I guess you don't read much about DELTA. They are the most hated AIRLINE in the USA. Let this be a lesson. DONT FLY DELTA. It is not United's problem it started with DELTA.
I am guessing that you have won every argument with every customer service person you have ever engaged.

I am also guessing you were not offered much for your wins...

Am I close?

Reactions: 1 person
During a layover in Denver, United announced that my connecting flight was cancelled.

A friendly agent found me a flight home on Delta (as all remaining United flights that day were full) and assured me my checked bag would be transferred to Delta. The flight change added six hours to me travel (scuttling my evening plans) but at least I wasn't stranded.

BUT my checked bag did not arrive. At the Delta baggage counter I provided my baggage claim ticket and was told my bag hadn't even entered the Delta system. I was sent home without my bag. I called United and was told they couldn't help me; the rule is that your final carrier deals with the lost baggage claim, so Delta would have to deal with it.

Five days went by and my bag wasn't found. It had my camping gear so I cancelled a camping trip a few days after my flight. On the fifth day I spent hours cataloguing what was in my lost bag, hunting down receipts and filling out a lost baggage form.

The next day United called me -- they had found my bag! They located me not because they received my info from Delta -- they had no knowledge of the report I filed with Delta -- but because they saw the number I had written on the little paper thingie with the elastic string and attached at the airport. They delivered my bag tonight... FINALLY I have it... but what a hassle!

I doubt United is going to contact me and offer any kind of compensation but that is how United can make this right. Have any of you been in a similar position before? How did you handle it? Should I call customer service and ask for a free domestic ticket? Advice please. Thank you!

Your bag was misplaced, it was found,it was delivered and you received it, and yes you were inconvienced but a free ticket? Seriously? Any we all wonder why the economy is in the toilet. A free ticket, SERIOUSLY? And no, I don't work for either carrier. A free ticket? You were shafted? Your bag was lost, it happens. At least you were home. If this is all it takes to get your big girl panties in a bunch, wow....

Your bag was misplaced, it was found,it was delivered and you received it, and yes you were inconvienced but a free ticket? Seriously? Any we all wonder why the economy is in the toilet. A free ticket, SERIOUSLY? And no, I don't work for either carrier. A free ticket? You were shafted? Your bag was lost, it happens. At least you were home. If this is all it takes to get your big girl panties in a bunch, wow....

Well when you're on the road sometimes what's in that bag can be rather important. Last time UA lost/delayed a bag I ended up making a presentation in a polo shirt and jeans. To UA's credit they tried their level best to catch my bag up to me, failing at every turn. It was delivered on the Sunday after I arrived on Friday night late.

I did inquire of UA and after the person viewed my PNR I received $500.00 in vouchers. $300 from the regional issued on the spot and another $200 from United.

Point being, yes stuff happens. The measure of a great Company is how they respond when things do go wrong. My incident was one comedy of errors after another and sadly it happens. UA did the best they could, just wasn't good enough and they agreed.

Reactions: 1 person
A few days after I mailed a letter to UA, I received an email message from Customer Relations with a $150 voucher. My letter was as Art recommended: short, including key details, and not angry. As nbmcg01 says, stuff happens, but as SparrowHawk says, the person the stuff happens to may be seriously inconvenienced. Getting my bag six days late was way better than not getting my bag back at all, but it was still a pain in the ass. Good companies take responsibility when they screw up, not just because it's the right thing to do but because it's good for business. The voucher I received was well under the value of most of the flights I take on UA, but I give UA some credit for issuing a voucher at all.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.