Watch out for the hotel r.e. credit card misuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

phasersonstun2

Veteran
May 1, 2003
A few months ago after a diversion, my crew and I were put up at the Radisson Rochester Airport Hotel. In the morning, I dined on a sumptuous breakfast in the hotel restaurant and paid for said breakfast on my credit card.

Big mistake.

Ten days and a trip later, I checked my bill online. To my astonishment I discovered a charge for some 470 plus dollars from the Radisson Rochester Airport Hotel.

You know where this is going?

That's right, the hotel decided to pull my credit card number from the restaurant and stick me with the rooms for the whole crew. After calling the Radisson Airport Hotel in Rochester and speaking to the accounting manager, he informed me that once my company paid the hotel bill, he would refund my money.

I immediately called my company to tell them what was going on and they were just as shocked as I was. To their credit, they apologized and cleared it up within a couple of hours. The Radisson was less than helpful, and refunded my funds within three business days, which is the time allowed by law.

Was this fraud on the part of the Radisson Airport in Rochester? According to my credit card company, no.

Here's why. In my credit card company's computer, my card was shown present and swiped at the Radisson Rochester Airport hotel some ten days after I left town.

I pointed out to the sales associate at the credit card company that on the same day of my alleged purchase of five hotel rooms I made a purchase at a Circle K a thousand miles away from Rochester at 11:31AM, then the credit card was swiped at 12:06PM at the Rochester Radisson Airport and later that day at 6:44PM again was swiped a thousand miles away at a Sushi restaurant.

This sent me through the roof.

Not only did the hotel fraudulently use my credit card number, but made it so I could not prove them wrong.

Moral: I will NEVER use my credit card in any layover hotel or any restaurant affiliated with the hotel again.

Moral: I will NEVER use my credit card in any layover hotel or any restaurant affiliated with the hotel again.

Unbelievable. Imagine if that had been a debit card, and you bounced checks or bill-pays...

Even though there's an annual fee, I keep an American Express card for travel expenses -only-, just to avoid problems like this. They've always come thru on disputes, and I don't have to worry about paying interest or late payments if reimbursement gets delayed for some reason or another.

A few months ago after a diversion, my crew and I were put up at the Radisson Rochester Airport Hotel. In the morning, I dined on a sumptuous breakfast in the hotel restaurant and paid for said breakfast on my credit card.

Big mistake.

Ten days and a trip later, I checked my bill online. To my astonishment I discovered a charge for some 470 plus dollars from the Radisson Rochester Airport Hotel.

You know where this is going?

That's right, the hotel decided to pull my credit card number from the restaurant and stick me with the rooms for the whole crew. After calling the Radisson Airport Hotel in Rochester and speaking to the accounting manager, he informed me that once my company paid the hotel bill, he would refund my money.

I immediately called my company to tell them what was going on and they were just as shocked as I was. To their credit, they apologized and cleared it up within a couple of hours. The Radisson was less than helpful, and refunded my funds within three business days, which is the time allowed by law.

Was this fraud on the part of the Radisson Airport in Rochester? According to my credit card company, no.

Here's why. In my credit card company's computer, my card was shown present and swiped at the Radisson Rochester Airport hotel some ten days after I left town.

I pointed out to the sales associate at the credit card company that on the same day of my alleged purchase of five hotel rooms I made a purchase at a Circle K a thousand miles away from Rochester at 11:31AM, then the credit card was swiped at 12:06PM at the Rochester Radisson Airport and later that day at 6:44PM again was swiped a thousand miles away at a Sushi restaurant.

This sent me through the roof.

Not only did the hotel fraudulently use my credit card number, but made it so I could not prove them wrong.

The first thing I'd be doing would be shopping around for a new credit card company. As moderAAtor has stated, AMEX is the way to go. You would not have had the aggravation if it happened on your American Express card.

I assume you don't work for AA, right? AA gives you the voucher or faxes over the voucher when you do something off schedule. If you do work for us I guess you won't be giving your credit card number, AND you won't be forgetting to print the voucher, in the future.

Unbelievable. Imagine if that had been a debit card, and you bounced checks or bill-pays...

Even though there's an annual fee, I keep an American Express card for travel expenses -only-, just to avoid problems like this. They've always come thru on disputes, and I don't have to worry about paying interest or late payments if reimbursement gets delayed for some reason or another.

Amen! I just had an incident with Sheraton Birmingham--our layover hotel there. I had stayed at the hotel in early May when I was in Birmingham for a college reunion. When I got my latest bill the other day, there was a $20 charge from that hotel dated June 1. I called immediately and Amex removed the charge--particularly since I pointed out to the person that the charge immediately above the disputed charge on the bill was for the same date from the Sheraton Gateway in Burlingame, CA. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.