WCNC broadcast regarding mishandled bags

Shivani Patel is one hot tomato! :)

Worst airline for lost luggage revealed 4:29 PM

06:40 PM EDT on Wednesday, May 3, 2006

By MARK BOONE / 6NEWS
E-mail Mark: [email protected]

6NEWS

Problems with airlines losing luggage prompted a congressional hearing.

Millions of lost or damaged bags have now prompted a congressional hearing. As lawmakers look at who is to blame, 6NEWS uncovered Charlotte's best and worst airlines for delivering luggage to passengers on time.

The feds gave credit to U.S. Airways for making major improvements in getting bags to the right people since their merger with America West put the company and its employees back on solid ground.

Those same federal experts told congress Wednesday there are several ways people can avoid losing their luggage.

Of all the bags at the airport Wednesday, none belonged to Shivani Patel's grandmother.

“It's like you almost expect not to have your bags sometimes,†Patel said.

Al Petrie's bag didn't make it either.

“I know it's a big issue; there are thousands of bags lost every year, “Petrie said.
In fact, the airlines report losing or damaging more than three million bags in 2005. The problem affecting so many people, congress is investigating who is to blame.

The latest numbers from the U.S. Department of Transportation show Airtran has the best record of all airlines which serve Charlotte. Airtran mishandled less than four bags for every 1,000 passengers.
Video on Demand

“There are also certain carriers that carry more bags than other carriers,†said Sam Podberesky with the U.S. Department of Transportation.

On the bottom of the list is Atlantic Southeast Airlines, which flies under the Delta name. They are reported to have lost more than 16 bags for every 1,000 passengers.

“They're probably being lazy with bags. It's not what they're concentrating on,†passenger Heather Williams said.

In fact, the feds said security screeners, not the airlines, may be to blame for some of the mishandled bags.

People making connecting flights are the most likely to lose luggage, but direct flights also have problems.

“Took three weeks, or three and a half weeks to get my bag and it was Christmas so I didn't have any gifts to give anyone or anything,†Petrie said.

“You can't do anything. You just take your stuff with you, whatever you can,†Patel said.

Taking a bag onto the plane is the only way to guarantee a piece of luggage will not be lost. That House hearing on lost luggage ending with no solutions Wednesday, just a word of advice from the feds...the earlier people arrives for a flight, the better chance their checked bags will be there when they land.

Hmmm....

They need to look at passenger/cargo weights, airline minimum connecting times and TSA bag processing as the biggest offenders. I have seen minimum connecting times in LGA and PHX of 25 minutes.