"we are making money in spite of ourselves"

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
A FEW NOTES FROM THE LABOR ADVISORY MEETING.......

CEO, Douglas Parker started the meeting out saying that we are making money in spite of ourselves. He said financially, we are doing our job but operationally we are not. He feels we are driving away our customers due to the problems with baggage issues, short staffing and misconnections. The recent security changes have also increased the number of checked bags, which has impacted the operations, as has bad weather. He says they are working on fixing these problems.

The different labor groups all pointed out the fact that PHL is still the main problem in the system as we all did in the last meeting. The lack of communication needs to be fixed between operations and the employee group system wide. The fact that some of the things the labor group brought to the table seemed new to the Board was surprising to us. Doug was asked if there are any plans for a merger, he did not confirm or deny it during the meeting.

The CWA raised concern with the lack of staffing system wide and at the end of the night in many of the ATO's, we have one closing agent :down: . There are instances when flights arrive at the same time, whether they are late or early and one agent is running from one gate to another trying to meet the planes in a timely manner. The CWA feels the Passenger service employees working the gates at the end of the night are subjected to making a choice between keeping the door secure and running to meet another flight. There are also problems with not having enough agents on duty at the end of the night to safely assist with a straight back or wheelchair customer (commit: One agent can not operate a ramp carry off machine and asst. a passenger safely).. The Union asked that the staffing be reviewed in all of the ATO's East and West. The Union also shared some data that was sent by the SEA customer service agents that show how much money we loose each month due to cancelled flights and protecting customers on other carriers. We asked that the company keep a better tally of the losses we experience due to the number of cancellations due to older equipment still being used in many markets and maintenance delays on those aircraft.

The CWA advised the Board that the new Vice President of Reservations and Inventory Services, Brad Beakley, seems to be open to working with the Union leaders and trying to resolve many of the problems the call centers, East and West, have been dealing with for a very long time. We expressed hope that this relationship continues in this positive direction.

There have been more attempts to settle grievances now, since we have been working with Ron Harbinson, Director, Labor Relations-Ground. He has been willing to step in and help us resolve many of the problems before they become grievances, and we wanted to recognize this progress during the meeting with the BOD and encourage more of the same going forward.

Well Doug, when you outsource half the flying to a hodge-podge array of operators, most of whom are the lowest common denominator operators, then operational problems should not be a surprise. I know that kind of stuff doesn't easily show up on a balance sheet; only the rosy numbers and projections seemed to be penciled in. But that's why you are paid the big bucks to take a step back from your accounting universe, put on your common sense thinking cap, and look at the situation for what it is.

If you need a lowly pilot to explain this to you, then I guess you haven't a clue. I suspect nothing will change and PHL will remain a wreck and half of our flying (the regionals) will continue to reaffirm in peoples' minds the reputation of US Airways. It doesn't need to be that way, but talking to the employees about how to correct stategic miscalculations is pointless. We can't change what happens on the ninth floor of Rio Salado. In any case, you won't even listen to us anyway.

Here's the solution...and you don't even need to pay me $11 million in stock options: Bring everything back in house and let PSA do all the regional flying. It's that simple.

Did he just say that it is everyones falt but his? Or, was he admitting that he possibly has a huge labor problem that he might have to deal with in afair manner? :shock:

C'mon guys just give him a chance. Just about EVERYONE in the west loves him. :rolleyes: Give me a freakin' break. Talk about a bunch of Bull. It's like diarrhea of the mouth talking $h!t a mile a minute. :up: Everything is going to be great....pay NOOOOOO attention to the man behind the curtain.

C'mon guys just give him a chance. Just about EVERYONE in the west loves him. :rolleyes: Give me a freakin' break. Talk about a bunch of Bull. It's like diarrhea of the mouth talking $h!t a mile a minute. :up: Everything is going to be great....pay NOOOOOO attention to the man behind the curtain.

Actually, most in the west, at least, FA's and Pilots hate is guts at this point! We have come to realize what he really is, a wolf in a sheep outfit.

Actually, most in the west, at least, FA's and Pilots hate is guts at this point! We have come to realize what he really is, a wolf in a sheep outfit.

I don't think he's a wolf in sheep's clothing...I just flat out believe he has no clue how to run a business. He knows how to shake bankers and Congress down for money (ATSB and this merger), but when it comes to being a business leader (Andy Grove, Jack Welsh, Roger Milliken, Herb Kelleher, etc.), he hasn't a clue. In the end he's just another coat hangar MBA. That doesn't make him a bad guy, however.

I don't think he's a wolf in sheep's clothing...I just flat out believe he has no clue how to run a business. He knows how to shake bankers and Congress down for money (ATSB and this merger), but when it comes to being a business leader (Andy Grove, Jack Welsh, Roger Milliken, Herb Kelleher, etc.), he hasn't a clue. In the end he's just another coat hangar MBA. That doesn't make him a bad guy, however.

He's so much smarter than you give him credit for. He knows exactly what he is doing and will squeeze a dollar out of a penny. He'll screw you and then flash that boyish innocense.

Well Doug, when you outsource half the flying to a hodge-podge array of operators, most of whom are the lowest common denominator operators, then operational problems should not be a surprise. I know that kind of stuff doesn't easily show up on a balance sheet; only the rosy numbers and projections seemed to be penciled in. But that's why you are paid the big bucks to take a step back from your accounting universe, put on your common sense thinking cap, and look at the situation for what it is.

If you need a lowly pilot to explain this to you, then I guess you haven't a clue. I suspect nothing will change and PHL will remain a wreck and half of our flying (the regionals) will continue to reaffirm in peoples' minds the reputation of US Airways. It doesn't need to be that way, but talking to the employees about how to correct stategic miscalculations is pointless. We can't change what happens on the ninth floor of Rio Salado. In any case, you won't even listen to us anyway.

Here's the solution...and you don't even need to pay me $11 million in stock options: Bring everything back in house and let PSA do all the regional flying. It's that simple.

Thanks for the endorsement aquagreen! Some of us would like our scheduling/dispatch/benefits/hotels to be centralized out West with yours. Centralizing everything would make a great deal of sense and save money.

I keep wondering why people put up with the PHL hub....but I came up with a theory: 300,000,000 people in US and PHL handles 3,000 pax/day (?). I figure we have (had) 1,000,000 days to P/O enough people that there will not be any more pax willing to fly....
Start the countdown!

On the baggage problems pretty simple to solve but he wont listen.
For starters PAY PEOPLE A WAGE THEY CAN LIVE ON. How many times must this be said. Right now they hire ANYONE who can pass the required tests & walking & breathing, even if not very well.

how about looking at his own team when it comes to driving away customers??? he should be saying but for the frontline people we would be lsoing lots more customers because his management team has treated the US1's horribly this year. why would he admit to that though?

and old planes??? HP's 75's are disgusting.

A FEW NOTES FROM THE LABOR ADVISORY MEETING.......

"He feels we are driving away our customers due to the problems with baggage issues, short staffing and misconnections".

Like this is something new??? With all the complaints that have been given about short staffing and other issues!! Give us a break! How about start doing something about it. This is not Dougs first day working for an airline and this is not the first day all of these problems were realized!! :huh: YOU know or atleast should know what it takes to run an airline!!!

Its the same thing over and over. Lets just talk about the problems and keep making them the next topic for discussion at the next meeting. :down: Does anyone else feel the man is not in it for the long run?? How about some goals? This is where i want us to be in 3 years! This is what i want to see improved and these are the changes that I will make to get us there!!

I think i must have flipped back to a previous chapter because it all sounds so familiar! :down:

Latest posts