We need a Union of our Own

Aug 10, 2007
Phoenix
From what I read from the paper we get from 142, its all about united this united that, to me it sounds like, the I am Management does not or care about the workforce of us airways!! Everything this I see or read it is about United. To me in what I see, it shows me that they have no interest in us only them, they just want money its all they want from us.

It so disgusting!!

We should have or own paper!!!

So I know that these issues have been posted before but just releasing my fury.

We should have the people who do the commercials on TV about the smoking campaign sit outside the sandcastle and have a huge mega phone or few mega phones and make sure we are heard. Hell they can do it outside the iam headquarters to.

Or.... have people sit outside the castle with huge signs saying "Shame on Us airways" or have a Truck that drives around all over showing the public how displeasured the hard working employees are.

Anyone else has any more ideas.

I’m just shouting out :angry:

Better check your facts.

District 142 represents NO ONE from UA and there is nothing in the DL 142 Paper about them.

141 is the ramp.

And look at 90% of the airline unions and they represent multiple carrriers.

141 is the ramp.

And look at 90% of the airline unions and they represent multiple carrriers.
For Immediate Release
December 3, 2007

TEAMSTERS FILE FOR PETITION TO REPRESENT
UNITED AIRLINES MECHANICS
Confident of Victory, Teamsters Pledge to ProtectWorkers,
Aviation Safety and Security
It has taken us months of hard work to get to this point, but
we are finally here!We are thrilled to announce that we have
filed with the National Mediation Board (NMB) for our
TEAMSTER ELECTION!
The countless hours spent contacting active and furloughed
UAL mechanics—from California to New York and everywhere
in between—has paid off. It has resulted in thousands of signed
Teamster authorization cards and affidavits and has brought us
to this point—to filing for our Teamster election!
We announced our filing at a press conference held in
Chicago, the hometown of United Airlines headquarters.We
wanted to ensure that Glenn Tilton & Co. got the message loud
and clear: Teamsters are in the house!
There is a strong sentiment among all mechanics that a
change in representation is critical and urgent. The filing of the
election petition is a historic step toward saving our jobs,
maintaining our standard of living and securing our futures.
Both IAM and AMFA supporters realize the jeopardy our
industry and jobs are in, and are getting involved by working
with us for this important change in representation.
What happens next? There is usually a wait of up to two
months while the NMB goes through the process of
substantiating the cards, and determining the list of eligible
voters, and then it’s on to an election.
Where the Teamsters are certified to replace another
organization, can they open the existing agreement for bargaining?
Yes. Should your leadership and the union believe it is in your
interests to bargain, we will do so. This is accomplished by
serving a Section 6 opener letter on the company copying the
National Mediation Board (NMB). By law, the company would
be compelled to bargain.
Have the Teamsters opened an Agreement in thismanner before?
Yes.
How is a representation election accomplished?
Where the group is unrepresented, cards equal to at least 35
percent of the eligible voters in the craft and class of mechanics
and related must be filed with the NMB.Where a group has a
certified representative, as you do, cards equal to a minimum of
50 percent plus one or more of the craft and class must be filed
for an election to be ordered. Once an election is ordered and
conducted, a minimum of 50% + 1 or more eligible voters must
vote for a union and the union with the plurality is then certified.

http://www.teamster.org/divisions/Airline/...ews_Issue10.pdf

The IBT information is wrong.

Changing unions does not give the right for the union to renegotiate a CBA.

I have posted time after time the examples of when unions have changed under the RLA.

A company by law, the RLA only has to renegotiate 60 days prior to the amendable date.

When you change unions the new union enforces the current CBA until Section 6 starts 60 days prior to the amendable date.

AMFA wins at UAL, NWA, only enforces the IAM CBAs until 60 days.

Same for the PFAA when they beat the IBT at NWA, same for AMFA when they beat the IBT at WN.

Do I need to continue?

There is a person who posts on this board frequently, his Avatar shows a leather jacket. He is the most knowledgable about trade unions, and recently had a ton of success leading the rampers in a Coup attempt.

We should wait for him to post so that he can enlighten us all!

The IBT would not organize fleet service at US.

AMFA won a representational election at UA over the IAM, AMFA by law, The RLA, (call the NMB or call a Lawyer that his/her area of practice is the RLA) and they will tell you under the RLA a change in representation does not open up a CBA for renegotiation. AMFA by law had to enforce the IAM CBA until Section 6 Negotiations take place which is 60 days prior to the amendable date.

AMFA won at NW over the IAM, by law had to enforce the current CBA until Section 6 comes due.

AMFA won at WN over the IBT, samething, enforced the current CBA until Section 6 comes due 60 days prior to the amendable date.

PFAA beat the IBT at NWA, same outcome, AFA beat the PFAA at NW, same outcome.

Don't believe me, check the facts.

When you change unions the new union enforces the current CBA until Section 6 starts 60 days prior to the amendable date.

if that is the case why has'nt IAM (international Aeronautical Mis-fits) enforced the hp mech's current contract and pursued negotiations until a t/a can be delivered9 goes for fleet too!)

if that is the case why has'nt IAM (international Aeronautical Mis-fits) enforced the hp mech's current contract and pursued negotiations until a t/a can be delivered9 goes for fleet too!)
My understanding is the IAM doesnt want to negotiate for the west. They may be forced
to with M&R because the east doesnt want to throw away the COC. Because the west
ramp is hurting so much financially they can be persuaded to vote for a TA worth
about 60% of what the COC would be worth. BF

i agree Bagfather, i was just illustrating yet another firm answer by UW that is not entirely correct.... why has'nt the IAM not resume sec 6 on behalf of the west... they take the dues, they need to represent or move over and let someone who will

To All-
I do know that anyone who signed a card for the IBEW, that those cards
remain valid for one year after the signature. ''Perserverance'', ''Labor Dawg'',
''Orioleman'' and ''Tim Nelson'' know who holds these cards and if the group would
continue over the next few months, more or less, to continue to get cards signed
on thier own as a grass roots project that we may be able to show the IBEW that
maybe they made a decision to soon and that there is a large interest in them as
a represenitive. I know that the number that we missed by was not much...who knows
what may or could happen, what could it hurt to continue on our own while we continue
to battle the IAM for a voice. I know that these 4 posters do have contact with a IBEW
rep who has the ear of John Dougherty, a very powerful union leader based out of Phl,
of local #98

Just a thought...........I know I liked reading and talking about them (IBEW). They
seemed genuinely interested and we just fell short.

To any posters against this thought, please remember, its' just my thought.

bob

To All-
I do know that anyone who signed a card for the IBEW, that those cards
remain valid for one year after the signature. ''Perserverance'', ''Labor Dawg'',
''Orioleman'' and ''Tim Nelson'' know who holds these cards and if the group would
continue over the next few months, more or less, to continue to get cards signed
on thier own as a grass roots project that we may be able to show the IBEW that
maybe they made a decision to soon and that there is a large interest in them as
a represenitive. I know that the number that we missed by was not much...who knows
what may or could happen, what could it hurt to continue on our own while we continue
to battle the IAM for a voice. I know that these 4 posters do have contact with a IBEW
rep who has the ear of John Dougherty, a very powerful union leader based out of Phl,
of local #98

Just a thought...........I know I liked reading and talking about them (IBEW). They
seemed genuinely interested and we just fell short.

To any posters against this thought, please remember, its' just my thought.

bob

I agree that we should try!!!