Well, the rumors about St. Louis f/a base are true

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
Found out today that the rumors about SLT (the designation for the St. Louis f/a base. Don't ask.) are true. The base is being downsized to about 200 f/as total. We currently have approx. 350 f/as--about 300 active, 50 or so inactive. There are going to be additional transfers to DFW beside the 2nd one being pulled this Friday.

Despite my prediction that I would not live long enough to get transferred back to DFW where I live, it may just happen after all. Depends on how many people senior to me sign up for DFW transfer after the transfers are announced. I know of at least 3 senior people at SLT who added their names to the DFW transfer list after the last transfer was announced, but before the transfers were pulled. I was #180 on the list the day they announced that first transfer; so, I was probably over 200 on the day they pulled the transfers. There are several names on the DFW transfer list from various bases that were not on the pending transfer list as of 28SEP--the day they announced the transfer.; There has to be a saturation point even for DFW; so, I may end up one of the 200 still in SLT, but maybe not. Here's hoping.

Found out today that the rumors about SLT (the designation for the St. Louis f/a base. Don't ask.) are true. The base is being downsized to about 200 f/as total. We currently have approx. 350 f/as--about 300 active, 50 or so inactive. There are going to be additional transfers to DFW beside the 2nd one being pulled this Friday.

Despite my prediction that I would not live long enough to get transferred back to DFW where I live, it may just happen after all. Depends on how many people senior to me sign up for DFW transfer after the transfers are announced. I know of at least 3 senior people at SLT who added their names to the DFW transfer list after the last transfer was announced, but before the transfers were pulled. I was #180 on the list the day they announced that first transfer; so, I was probably over 200 on the day they pulled the transfers. There are several names on the DFW transfer list from various bases that were not on the pending transfer list as of 28SEP--the day they announced the transfer.; There has to be a saturation point even for DFW; so, I may end up one of the 200 still in SLT, but maybe not. Here's hoping.
Does it makes sense to keep a base open with only 200 F/As ?...... I think these transfers indicate SLT will be closing soon.

Does it makes sense to keep a base open with only 200 F/As ?...... I think these transfers indicate SLT will be closing soon.

Well, you tell me. BOS-D only has 344 total domestic f/as, and DCA-D only has 244 total domestic f/as. Right now St. Louis has over 350 domestic f/as. Do you also think they should close BOS and DCA?

I am at DCA and for the life of me, I can't understand why they keep this base open! The flying can be easily covered by DFW, MIA, and LAX. Our "international base" will have no flights left as they have cancelled both the BWI-SJU and the IAD-SJU but they have not announced any closure there yet!
MAH4546 once said that we were supposed to get IB's IAD-MAD and BA's BWI-LHR, I wonder if tht is still a possibility? I really do not understand the logic behind this base. MAH (Mark?) if you read this can you enlighten me? You are the only one who seems to get accurate information on here.

Funny how it (STL) only declined after................

Funny, but I'm looking at the economy in STL in general, not the airport. Unemployment there is still running higher than in the rest of the state, and I don't see it getting much better.

And no, I don't think that TWA's demise or AA pulling down the hub was what caused unemployment to rise.

Funny how TWA was always in decline.

Not in St. Louis. AA has always stated that STL "held its own". The focus is corner cities (How DFW and ORD are corners is AA geometry I suppose) and STL is not a corner. I would expect to see other small bases go the same route.

I am at DCA and for the life of me, I can't understand why they keep this base open! The flying can be easily covered by DFW, MIA, and LAX. Our "international base" will have no flights left as they have cancelled both the BWI-SJU and the IAD-SJU but they have not announced any closure there yet!
MAH4546 once said that we were supposed to get IB's IAD-MAD and BA's BWI-LHR, I wonder if tht is still a possibility? I really do not understand the logic behind this base. MAH (Mark?) if you read this can you enlighten me? You are the only one who seems to get accurate information on here.

It's called politics, my dear. The company wants to maintain a presence in DC, and keep Congress happy. The fact that it may cost them money to keep a base there is viewed as "Well, that's money we don't have to spend on lobbyists." Eliminating jobs in the DC area tends to be viewed more sternly than eliminating jobs in St. Louis or Kansas City or Tulsa.

It's just like when they opened IAD. The original plan was to close DCA completely. But, then members of Congress found out that: A. They would not have reserved parking spaces at IAD like they do at DCA, and B. IAD is out in the Virginia boonies and there ain't no quick way to get there. Voila! Keeping DCA open became a matter of national security, and it remains open until today.

Your International operation can continue by the crew working (or deadheading) a first leg to MIA then on across the waters.

DCA might be downsized as they are doing with SLT, but I doubt seriously it will ever be closed (as I believe is in SLT's future at some point).

Not in St. Louis. AA has always stated that STL "held its own". The focus is corner cities (How DFW and ORD are corners is AA geometry I suppose) and STL is not a corner. I would expect to see other small bases go the same route.
AA lies to look good, SLT has been in a decline since AA bought TWA. It does not take a genus to figure that one out.

Funny how TWA was always in decline.
<_< ------ You know, I see a lot of similarities between what's happening now with AA, and what happened to TWA.------ The main difference is TWA had Ichan driving their decline! AA has Arpy and his management team doing the same all on their own!! ;) Let's hope the end result is not the same!

How so? TW was starting flights to BUD, MAD, BCN, HND, BSB, PVG and 2 flights to GIG along with accepting 3-4 new planes a month, along with new orders, when they were going down the tubes? I must have missed something. They were also implementing a JBA with ATI across the Atlantic and had the same or starting over the Pacific? Man, why ever did TW fail? I am not saying that AA is anywhere near where they should be, but come on, they are nowhere near what the end of TW looked like. I have a feeling that there is still more to come. The next 6 months could/should be very interesting.
P.S. Overpaying for S'80 leases doesn't count for new A/C. Same for 717's

Status
Not open for further replies.