What an ass chewing!

jetmechjer

Advanced
Aug 8, 2004
PUPOFF NEWS FLASH

Since our goal is for different work groups to share and exchange information , please read the following message sent to APA members from Captain Ralph Hunter, APA President.

Things Change, Part I

The Death of Shared Sacrifice
Those of us who have been around awhile are familiar with the lamentable refrain “things change.†This catchphrase has become symbolic of AA managements€™s troubling tendency to turn their backs on prior commitments.
Regrettably, the concept of shared sacrifice and shared reward is now dead. Despite their protests to the contrary, senior management abandoned the Pull Together/Win Together when they succumbed to temptation and rewarded themselves ahead of everyone else who made American Airlinesâ„¢ recovery possible. By their actions, management has demonstrated that a new paradigm is now in effect demanding and extracting immediate value for ones contribution to the success of American Airlines.
A number of events transpired last week that should leave little doubt that management has taken a new approach or perhaps, old approach course for the future of labor relations at American Airlines. Some of you expressed hope that management would come to understand the damage already inflicted, and that they would make an attempt to return to the fundamental principles of a true collaborative working relationship with labor. (I haven't, OUR relationship has been in the toilet for 16 Years).

For the past several months, your APA leadership has pursued numerous opportunities, both publicly and privately, both directly and through intermediaries, to communicate to all levels of management that virtually all of the positive strides they have made in improving labor relations since 2003 have been undermined and virtually destroyed by their recent actions. I see no signs management either understands the impact of their current behavior or desires to change. Sadly, the grand experiment to remake the corporate culture and labor relations at AA has been sacrificed on the altar of management greed and arrogance. (How true).

Last week was illustrative of management's utter disregard if not contempt for the value of employees ongoing sacrifices. AMR revealed that CEO Gerard Arpey would receive a 23 percent increase in his base salary. In addition, AMR granted a number of top executives new rounds of stock-based incentives that may increase their total compensation substantially above amounts received in the past. The fact that these awards were made in the immediate aftermath of AA's attempt to improperly bestow hefty cash bonuses in violation of our contract is a clear indication senior management has placed themselves on a separate path from line employees. Some managers defend these increases as suitable reward for American Airlines greatly improved performance over the past few quarters. This perspective was echoed in a recent article in The New York Times titled Anger Management:
Executives were unapologetic about the bonuses, and it became clear that management and labor efforts at collaboration aside live in very separate worlds. Bob Reding, a senior vice president overseeing pilots and maintenance ( Also the guy that cut maintenance to a bare minimum making the fleet UN-reliable and deteriorating at a rate faster than TWA's purchased cream puffs )
collected $1.6 million under the bonus plan. He said American's brass is underpaid and the company is in danger of losing its best talent. (well then go away Bob, go destroy another company's praised program and put the flying public at risk flying on one of your disastrous IDEAS that does nothing but show how greedy and self centered you IGNORANT MORONS are!! ) I am sure we are all getting calls from headhunters he said. Why did people get upset? It's because they don't understand management compensation. None of our investors were upset.
(That's because they don't care! it's all about ROI, you should know that Bob but let me tell you, "Your not worth 10K a year!" period )

Mr. Reding is not alone. Daniel P. Garton, (The guy who was dumped by AT&T w/ the SBC merger, they saw opportunity to get rid of these BRASS and did so ) an executive vice president, collected about $1.9 million (He also said that Labor cost at AA need to be reduced but fails to look at his own wallet) and said headhunters call him, too. (Ha Ha, thinking of Frank Lorenzo) And I obviously answer the phone, he said. There are days when the executive compensation issue becomes a little overwhelming. Why am I doing this? (Because it's all about me and my wallet, Greed and content. * You Bastard! )
Mr. Reding couldn't be more incorrect or misinformed. (Or delirious) The pilots of this airline do understand fair compensation. We also understand when the rules of the game have been changed. As we move forward, the relevant issue is not whether any of AA's senior managers are worth the compensation packages they have been granted. The relevant issue for individuals such as Bob Reding, Dan Garton, Jeff Brundage, Mark Hettermann and yes, even Gerard Arpey, is the damage their increasingly disconnected compensation strategy has done to our company's labor relations. (Not TWU, this company can screw them like a dog that's had too many litters of to count and they still continue. *Because TWU is full of UN-educated people at the helm) If certain vice presidents are feeling overwhelmed by defending their compensation, we have a solution. The next time a headhunter makes you an offer of other employment take it!
(And don't let the door hit you in the a## on the way out, Scumbag!"

During the 2003 contract negotiations, management built their case for deep concessions and bankruptcy avoidance upon the premise that all employees management included would need to exercise restraint during the term of the agreements while AMR put its financial house in order.

Management's restructuring model was constructed, in part, around the expectation that all employees management included would receive the same 1.5 percent annual increase in base compensation during the recovery period. Additionally, our contract placed limitations on the form and amount of executive bonuses. Finally, it was understood by all participants that a time would come when both union and management employees would rightfully expect to share in the recovery as American Airlines returned from the financial brink. Management cannot now make a grab for their reward and expect everyone else to quietly stand by. (Management did not SAVE the airline so WHY do they deserve any reward anyway?)

In a separate news article published last week, AA spokesperson Sue Gordon was quoted as saying it was way too early to talk about whether pilots might see any boost in compensation in their next contract. (it Doesn't matter to me, TWU's already got our next concessionary contract written) Again, I disagree. In light of management's new-found focus on increasing their own compensation, Ms. Gordon's words ring hollow. Management has already determined the time is ripe to increase their pay. Thus, it is way past time to discuss the financial return on the investment our pilots made to help keep American Airlines out of bankruptcy. AMR shareholders have seen their stock more than double over the past year. Management has already paid themselves nearly $100 million in bonuses, and they have set themselves up to receive hundreds of millions more in coming years. The pilots of American Airlines will not be left behind. ( Yep, the sky Gods with their SNAP BACKS and now they want all the Gold in California / That's fine TWU will get us another 3% over 10 years and people at Taco Bueno will make more than me.) If management wants to discuss their issues in upcoming Section 6 negotiations, then they must be ready to discuss our issues and improved compensation will be at the top of the list.
"We are the Sky Gods and we deserve to be paid MILLIONS, We WORK so hard..."
## What? My GFMS/FMC/Autopilot is INOP? :-(
Finally, in what I consider to be one of the most condescending and rambling communications from a Vice President of Flight that I've seen during my 20 years at American Airlines, Captain Mark Hettermann recently announced the establishment of his Operational Excellence program. This program will reward pilots for their sustained sacrifice and everyday professionalism with a nifty lapel pin and kit bag sticker. (Sounds like the TWU/AA/FAA training REWARD Merit. a CHEAP CHINA Lapel pin and a piece of paper stating you were a Gold/Diamond/Ruby, Etc. I was a new crystal unheard of! )

In a rather transparent attempt to defend his own six-figure bonus, Captain Hettermann has vigorously argued that senior managers need millions of dollars in bonuses to keep their head in the game. In a display of blatant hypocrisy, Captain Hettermann now appears to believe our professional pilot corps can be mollified with trinkets and gold stars. I have yet to hear from a single chief pilot or check airman who thinks this pins for performance program is a good idea. (But you Moron's were giving out atta boy cards which BTW I Burned in the break room in front of God and everybody! "Captain's Cards" ) Is Captain Hettermann who no longer flies the line completely out of touch? (Like the rest of us Sky Gods) You decide. (Uhhhh, YES! )
I won't insult your professionalism by asking you to paste a gold star on your uniform or kit bag after successfully completing a check ride. Each (Some) of you performs an outstanding job every day and you know it. Like all of AA's line employees, you have shouldered the burden of an increasingly lean operation as this airline clawed its way back from the brink of bankruptcy. Pins, stickers, get-well cards and thank-you notes are completely inappropriate forms of repayment for your continued service and sacrifice. Instead, your APA leadership will work tirelessly to secure the contract you deserve. Until then, if anyone from the Flight Department hands you a pin, please respectfully hand it back and state that you deserve financial restoration commensurate with what senior management has so far reserved for themselves. (So for TWU poverty victims, give the pilot back their "Captains Card" and tell them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
I will have more to say in a subsequent message.
Fraternally,
Ralph (Another Greedy self centered "Sky God". )

*With Amendments from me as well. :shock:

The relevant issue for individuals such as Bob Reding, Dan Garton, Jeff Brundage, Mark Hettermann and yes, even Gerard Arpey, is the damage their increasingly disconnected compensation strategy has done to our company's labor relations. (Not TWU, this company can screw them like a dog that's had too many litters of to count and they still continue. *Because TWU is full of UN-educated people at the helm)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
EVEN THE PILOTS KNOW WHAT A WORTHLESS LAP DOG UNION THE TWU IS!!!!!!!!!!

I can't understand why the pilot's union president would slam the TWU? The TWU has given the pilot's more money for raises than anyone in management ever has. Oh, that's right! I forgot the TWU is a division of AMR management!

Mr. Reding is not alone. Daniel P. Garton, (The guy who was dumped by AT&T w/ the SBC merger, they saw opportunity to get rid of these BRASS and did so ) an executive vice president, collected about $1.9 million (He also said that Labor cost at AA need to be reduced but fails to look at his own wallet) and said headhunters call him, too.
Excellent points added but FYI, it was Horton who went to AT&T and back. ;)

Excellent points added but FYI, it was Horton who went to AT&T and back. ;)

Not to split hairs but TWA's fleet was the "youngest'" in the industry at the time of the acquisition. It just didn't merge well with AA's fleet. Hummm

Also, Dan Garton is the bright "leader" that orchestrated the "you will be charged a fee for booking with a "live" person vs on the internet. It would have been so much better to be proactive with a "Have we got a deal for you! Save $25 when you book on-line" So simple, yet he gets the "big bucks" for such an offensive campaign.

Nice try. Some poor disgruntled soul has (added) to Mr. Hunter's letter in an attempt at his/her own agenda.

You losers will buy anything!! Kind of funny really!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice try. Some poor disgruntled soul has (added) to Mr. Hunter's letter in an attempt at his/her own agenda.

Interesting point, Bill.

In the interest of accuracy, would you be so kind as to post the authentic Hunter letter?

Interesting point, Bill.

In the interest of accuracy, would you be so kind as to post the authentic Hunter letter?

Thought you'd never ask.
(looks as if desparation has once again set in with the TWU haters.....dejavu) :eek: :huh: :eek:

Nice try jetmech.........NOT!!!!!! :lol:

Things Change, Part I

The Death of Shared Sacrifice

Those of us who have been around awhile are familiar with the lamentable refrain “things change.†This catchphrase has become symbolic of AA management’s troubling tendency to turn their backs on prior commitments.

Regrettably, the concept of shared sacrifice and shared reward is now dead. Despite their protests to the contrary, senior management abandoned “Pull Together/Win Together†when they succumbed to temptation and rewarded themselves ahead of everyone else who made American Airlines’ recovery possible. By their actions, management has demonstrated that a new paradigm is now in effect – demanding and extracting immediate value for one’s contribution to the success of American Airlines.

A number of events transpired last week that should leave little doubt that management has taken a new – or perhaps, old – course for the future of labor relations at American Airlines. Some of you expressed hope that management would come to understand the damage already inflicted, and that they would make an attempt to return to the fundamental principles of a true collaborative working relationship with labor. For the past several months, your APA leadership has pursued numerous opportunities, both publicly and privately, both directly and through intermediaries, to communicate to all levels of management that virtually all of the positive strides they have made in improving labor relations since 2003 have been undermined and virtually destroyed by their recent actions. I see no signs management either understands the impact of their current behavior or desires to change. Sadly, the grand “experiment†to remake the corporate culture and labor relations at AA has been sacrificed on the altar of management greed and arrogance.

Last week was illustrative of management’s utter disregard – if not contempt – for the value of employees’ ongoing sacrifices. AMR revealed that CEO Gerard Arpey would receive a 23 percent increase in his base salary. In addition, AMR granted a number of top executives new rounds of stock-based incentives that may increase their total compensation substantially above amounts received in the past. The fact that these awards were made in the immediate aftermath of AA’s attempt to improperly bestow hefty cash bonuses in violation of our contract is a clear indication senior management has placed themselves on a separate path from line employees. Some managers defend these increases as suitable reward for American Airlines’ greatly improved performance over the past few quarters. This perspective was echoed in a recent article in The New York Times titled “Anger Managementâ€:

Executives were unapologetic about the bonuses, and it became clear that management and labor — efforts at collaboration aside — live in very separate worlds. Bob Reding, a senior vice president overseeing pilots and maintenance, collected $1.6 million under the bonus plan. He said American’s brass is underpaid and the company is in danger of losing its best talent. “I am sure we are all getting calls from headhunters,†he said. “Why did people get upset? It’s because they don’t understand management compensation. None of our investors were upset.â€

Mr. Reding is not alone. Daniel P. Garton, an executive vice president, collected about $1.9 million and said headhunters call him, too. “And I obviously answer the phone,†he said. “There are days when the executive compensation issue becomes a little overwhelming. Why am I doing this?â€

Mr. Reding couldn’t be more incorrect or misinformed. The pilots of this airline do understand fair compensation. We also understand when the rules of the game have been changed. As we move forward, the relevant issue is not whether any of AA’s senior managers are worth the compensation packages they have been granted. The relevant issue for individuals such as Bob Reding, Dan Garton, Jeff Brundage, Mark Hettermann and yes, even Gerard Arpey, is the damage their increasingly disconnected compensation strategy has done to our company’s labor relations. If certain vice presidents are feeling overwhelmed by defending their compensation, we have a solution. The next time a headhunter makes you an offer of other employment – take it!

During the 2003 contract negotiations, management built their case for deep concessions and bankruptcy avoidance upon the premise that all employees – management included – would need to exercise restraint during the term of the agreements while AMR put its financial house in order. Management’s restructuring model was constructed, in part, around the expectation that all employees – management included – would receive the same 1.5 percent annual increase in base compensation during the recovery period. Additionally, our contract placed limitations on the form and amount of executive bonuses. Finally, it was understood by all participants that a time would come when both union and management employees would rightfully expect to share in the recovery as American Airlines returned from the financial brink. Management cannot now make a grab for “their†reward and expect everyone else to quietly stand by.

In a separate news article published last week, AA spokesperson Sue Gordon was quoted as saying it was “way too early†to talk about whether pilots might see any boost in compensation in their next contract. Again, I disagree. In light of management’s new-found focus on increasing their own compensation, Ms. Gordon’s words ring hollow. Management has already determined the time is ripe to increase their pay. Thus, it is way past time to discuss the financial return on the investment our pilots made to help keep American Airlines out of bankruptcy. AMR shareholders have seen their stock more than double over the past year. Management has already paid themselves nearly $100 million in bonuses, and they have set themselves up to receive hundreds of millions more in coming years. The pilots of American Airlines will not be left behind. If management wants to discuss their issues in upcoming Section 6 negotiations, then they must be ready to discuss our issues – and improved compensation will be at the top of the list.

Finally, in what I consider to be one of the most condescending and rambling communications from a Vice President of Flight I’ve seen during my 20 years at American Airlines, Captain Mark Hettermann recently announced the establishment of his “Operational Excellence†program. This program will “reward†pilots for their sustained sacrifice and everyday professionalism with a nifty lapel pin and kit bag sticker. In a rather transparent attempt to defend his own six-figure bonus, Captain Hettermann has vigorously argued that senior managers need millions of dollars in bonuses to keep their head in the game. In a display of blatant hypocrisy, Captain Hettermann now appears to believe our professional pilot corps can be mollified with trinkets and gold stars. I have yet to hear from a single chief pilot or check airman who thinks this “pins for performance†program is a good idea. Is Captain Hettermann – who no longer flies the line – completely out of touch? You decide.

I won’t insult your professionalism by asking you to paste a “gold star†on your uniform or kit bag after successfully completing a check ride. Each of you performs an outstanding job every day and you know it. Like all of AA’s line employees, you have shouldered the burden of an increasingly lean operation as this airline clawed its way back from the brink of bankruptcy. Pins, stickers, get-well cards and thank-you notes are completely inappropriate forms of repayment for your continued service and sacrifice. Instead, your APA leadership will work tirelessly to secure the contract you deserve. Until then, if anyone from the Flight Department hands you an “OE†pin, please respectfully hand it back and state that you deserve financial restoration commensurate with what senior management has so far reserved for themselves.

I will have more to say in a subsequent message.

Fraternally,

Ralph

So I suppose Mr. Hunter is disgruntled also Billdo?

Lets all say it together like the twu lackeys do.... Your just lucky to have a dadgum job brother!!!

When is Jimmy Do-little or Gary Dingst going to do anything but cower? You wanna talk about losers that will buy anything.... :down: :down: :down:

Silly me, I keep forgetting the twu International company men didn't recieve any concessions they so willingly bestowed on its membership.

Mr Hunter may be disgruntled but it is not with the TWU Hackman. You people are so quick to judge. Contrary to popular opinion on these boards the TWU is not enemy and the TWU is not "in bed" with the company. Because they take a stand to do something productive and go against your grainy ass, you're pissed off. Well, tough!!! You want the TWU to be vigilante (such as AMFA has been and look where it has gotten them) and put everyone at risk. I myself am glad they have not taken that stance. Or else we'd all be on the streets by now.
Am I happy with everything, no. You're not going to please everyone all the time now are you? It's impossible. Somewhere out there there will be this pissed off little Joe, sitting in a corner crying because things aren't going his way. (HMMMM, sounds like a few here.)
Now with that being said should I sit back and smile and accept the higher ups compenstion package....no. Am I happy about it....no. Is Mr Hunter and the pilots happy about it....no. But you can believe we are not going to make any hasty moves that will be detrimental to the union members in response. (remember this is NOT just about you TWU haters) Tell me Hackman, what should be done at this juncture?? Tell us all what you would do. Please, any of you with all your knowledge and experience, what should we as employees of this huge company, as union members, do? Strike????? Picket???? Cry and whine until they hear us???? Slack off at work until production goes down???? Have a walk-out???? Throw out idle threats????

An please don't respond with name calling or belittling. It's really not necessary to make your points. We all know what you think of me. Just see if you have a solution that will benefit everyone, not just you, and share it. If it's a good one, then maye it can be used.

So Bill, how much more in concessions,PLI,CI,etc are you willing to give the company so the pilot's can get a raise?
Why is it the TWU represented employees are the only ones still sacrificing to "save the company"? What is your limit,Bill? Please tell us so we will know whether we can afford to buy a single wide or double wide trailer.

So Bill, how much more in concessions,PLI,CI,etc are you willing to give the company so the pilot's can get a raise?
Why is it the TWU represented employees are the only ones still sacrificing to "save the company"? What is your limit,Bill? Please tell us so we will know whether we can afford to buy a single wide or double wide trailer.

Lemme guess, management doesn't deserve a raise, pilots don't deserve a raise, but mechanics do?

How bout you STFU and let Hackman answer first? :down:

Contrary to popular opinion on these boards the TWU is not enemy and the TWU is not "in bed" with the company.

And what do you base that opinion on?

Because they take a stand to do something productive and go against your grainy ass, you're pissed off.

Took a stand? Is that how you define being the industry leader in concessions?

Well, tough!!! You want the TWU to be vigilante (such as AMFA has been and look where it has gotten them) and put everyone at risk.

Like over at SWA? Highest paid airline mechanics out there-by far!

I myself am glad they have not taken that stance. Or else we'd all be on the streets by now.

How do you figure that? Who would be doing your work? That is , if you actually do any work.

Am I happy with everything, no. You're not going to please everyone all the time now are you?

So you are not happy either. Who is happy? CAn you name anyone who is happy with having the TWU represent them at AA?

Now with that being said should I sit back and smile and accept the higher ups compenstion package....no. Am I happy about it....no.

Do you mean Little , Yingst and Gless, all who earn six figure salaries and have seen substantial increases since jamming our concessions in place?

Tell me Hackman, what should be done at this juncture??

At the very least follow the pilots example and publically disavow any more participation in cooperating with productivity improvements.

Tell us all what you would do. Please, any of you with all your knowledge and experience, what should we as employees of this huge company, as union members, do? Strike????? Picket????

Sure, why not? Why not picket the fact that AA lied to us and claimed they needed all these concessions, they took money out of our health , education andnutritional budgets and are now granting themselves huge bonuses. Why not make it a public spectacle? We know why the TWU wont do that, because attention would eventually turn towards those who led their members into such a bad deal. At the APA and APFA they can vote out, and did, those responsible, but since we can only vote for local leaders and the contract belongs to the International , not the locals we can not vote out those responsible. Thats one of the reasons why the TWU is staying the course-granting AA even more concessions through productivity improvements. They want us to just sit back and accept that we cant do anything about it just like they want us to sit back and accept that we cant do anything about removing those responsible for the concessions in 2003.

Cry and whine until they hear us???? Slack off at work until production goes down???? Have a walk-out???? Throw out idle threats????

Better than just accepting it.

An please don't respond with name calling or belittling. It's really not necessary to make your points.

You mean like you do when you use words like "crying, whine, #### etc?

Bill, thanks for posting the original letter. On close examination, I see there was no egregious misrepresentation at all.....The additions were in parentheses, quite obviously just to add editorial comment.

Not exactly Strunk and White or Turabian, but certainly not an attempt to deceive, either.

You're overreacting again. Perhaps in an attempt to advance your own agenda.