What can we do

robbedagain

Veteran
Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Our ramp manager hired back a person whom has given us EN employees a lot of trouble in the past. that agent was hired back back in January after the agent quit a year ago. so on a daily basis, that agent calls the manager up and b!tche$ to him that all of us ramp agents at EN in ABE are lazy and dont want to go in the cargo bin of aircraft yet that agent continues to be observed by all of us just standing around doing nada zippo nothing and yet the freaking manager takes her side over every one of us. and yet if we complain to him about that agent he doesnt and will nopt listen to any of us. I called a Michelle Foose in EN HR in MDT and left a msg I havent heard anything back yet. Is there any way that we can go to somebody that will actually listen? We do have a lot more complaints about the mgr and the agent but we need an hr people to come in and meet with us

So, you have an agent who is all talk and no action. This one is easy:

The next time you have a plane to work, ask her to take the bin. If she refuses, then everyone take a hike to the breakroom and leave her out on the ramp to work the plane by herself. If she follows you in and complains, point out that she is not out at her plane either. Take plenty of pictures (use a cell phone) while you're all out at the gate to prove your point.

Unfortunately, since you guys don't have a CBA, it's a calculated risk to perform such an action, so be prepared to face the potential consequences. However, if you can successfully prove that the agent in question isn't doing her job, you should be able to persuade someone that she is the problem. Sticking together as a group here is important. If one of you waivers, the whole thing gets weaker.

It's my experience that most lazy complainers who won't do their job on the ramp get ostracized quickly from the rest of the agents, and eventually they take a hike (or as in the ABE case, another hike). There are other legitimate ways to nail an agent who doesn't pull his or her own weight, too. All you have to do is get really serious about EGOM errors and violations, and document them accordingly. Safety personnel tend to have a great deal of power when it comes to potentially dangerous actions at a station.

So, to summarize:

1) Stick together,

2) Get creative.

we stick together and eacha nd everyone of us watches her closely. I spoke to both berg and foose and neither one aint going to do a darn thing that is pathetic i hope the challenge that the CWA did wins and we become union until then Im counting down to end of school yr for my son and transferring to mainline in either BWI or DCA

has anyone considered that your ramp manager and this agent have some sort of personal relationship going on? sure sounds like it

has anyone considered that your ramp manager and this agent have some sort of personal relationship going on? sure sounds like it

I sure did... I just thought that it was already "assumed," and that Robbedagain and his coworkers were looking at ways to circumvent that to solve the issue?

Piedmont overall is a poorly run company that is still cowtied to the good old boys club. In one station recently, an agent reported another agent for making fake reservations to take seats out of inventory to make them available for non-rev travel and to prevent having to deal with an oversold flight. This agent was reported doing this three different times over the course of three months. The last time it was reported to the station manager, the agent making the fake reservations (who is a supervisor) went into the managers office and took the evidence (copies of the pnr's and the pnr history) from the office. When this was reported to the Director in Salisbury (Corp. office for EN), nothing was done. Three seperate time this agent was turned in for fraud and theft and nothing was done. The agent who reported this was just suspended for making "inappropriate" comments at work. Today, the agent was "let go".

Don't try to beat the system, I just saw it beat someone who tried. Get out and go to work for a company that values its employees and protects whistleblowers instead of exposing them.

PS. This same manager protected the job of two agents at the same station one of which who had marijuana at work and the other who takes narcodics before going to work on the ramp. He just looked the other way....again, the system at work.

Sounds like how the WEST manages its employees. No reprecussions for any wrong-doing, favoritism, and scare tactics, and unprofessionalism.

When I was a gate agent, my manager asked me to lie about why the plane went out late. When I refused, they chastised me and asked ME to write the report then. WTF? No... That's YOUR job, and I'm not going to lie because nothing gets fixed!!!

Stupid!

I sure did... I just thought that it was already "assumed," and that Robbedagain and his coworkers were looking at ways to circumvent that to solve the issue?
they dont have that relationship that we know of but each one of us at my station has been watching the agent we're just not venting but i feel that somebody at the top should come to our city and let us talk but of course that wont happen given that 2 so called people at the top just says what does the book say? and of course I had a response to that--Why have a book when the manager going to do whatever. For me, I dont think the agent should be full time ahead of me or some other part timers and I definetly dont think she should be in OPS like she is now and she is not trained nor qualified in ops whereas I have been since 2004

Our ramp manager hired back a person whom has given us EN employees a lot of trouble in the past. that agent was hired back back in January after the agent quit a year ago. so on a daily basis, that agent calls the manager up and b!tche$ to him that all of us ramp agents at EN in ABE are lazy and dont want to go in the cargo bin of aircraft yet that agent continues to be observed by all of us just standing around doing nada zippo nothing and yet the freaking manager takes her side over every one of us. and yet if we complain to him about that agent he doesnt and will nopt listen to any of us. I called a Michelle Foose in EN HR in MDT and left a msg I havent heard anything back yet. Is there any way that we can go to somebody that will actually listen? We do have a lot more complaints about the mgr and the agent but we need an hr people to come in and meet with us

Get a video and film it....don't let this person know you are doing it...then next time this person opens their mouth....take them down with film. :up:

3) Document, document, document. (Taking cellphone pics is a good idea, unless cellphone usage on the ramp is expressly forbidden).

Couldn't agree more.

A small digital camera would circumvent the "no cellphone" rule. That might be the way to go if there is a question of whether a cellphone camera violates ramp rules.

I left a couple of clues to a method of nailing this agent in a "Catch-22" situation in my previous post. Since no one has picked up on it yet, I'll drop a couple of hints:

"...leave her out on the ramp to work the plane by herself..."

"...get really serious about EGOM errors and violations..."

Like I said, you need to get creative.

thanks Prince for the hints I must havemissed that sorry. also I wonder if I used both a camer and a cellphone camera may be one or the other something might actually happen------but i doubt it

Hmmmm...if this happened in my line of work, the question would be "Who does she/he know?" Someone who quits and comes back and is a NARC, usually might be Dougie's little boy/girl, sort to speak. By Dougie, I mean ANYBODY with PULL. Of course, I'm sure this never happens in the airline industry, but nepotism is alive and well in the real world.

PS-when you run into roadblocks, that usually confirms it. Best thing to do is ban together and NARC on the NARC.