What Does The Afl-cio Do For Us?- Caution Politics

RV4

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
At the AMFA Informational Meeting in Tulsa on Friday, an interesting quote came from a TWU supporting member.

Here is a quote from an AA Mechanic in Tulsa.

"What I'm saying is the AFL-CIO with lobbyists get involved in elections and support politicians," TWU member Terry Lesperance said. "If you don't support people and help them get elected, no matter how many letters you write, then if you don't get involved in elections and support them, they're not going to read those letters."

I disagree with Mr. Lesperance!

My representatives not only read my letters, I get a written response back from them. Elected representatives that I did NOT get involved in their campaign, and even some I didn't even vote for have responded to my letters.

I wonder how they can respond to the exact content of my letters, if the letter is never read as Terry claims?

To make the claim that our representatives WILL NOT even "read the letters" if we do not support them is not only an outright LIE, it is nothing more than FEAR BASED TWU RHETORIC.

Mr. Lesperance, come down off of fear mountain and look at reality, the AFL-CIO is an over-paid albatross idea that needs to be replaced with direct member involvement. Terry, write a letter to your Senator or Congressman and ask him if he only reads letters from the AFL-CIO and other Special Interest Groups. Send the letter as an individual constituent and tells us you don't get a response to your letter. I predict that your letter as an individual you will get a more personal response than you ever get as an AFL-CIO fear monger.

I DON'T NEED TO PAY SOME LOBBYIST THAT I DO NOT EVEN KNOW, TO GO TELL A POLITICIAN HOW I THINK!

I CAN SPEAK FOR MYSELF!

You Mr. Lesperance should execute an apology for your fear mongering lie.

KCFlyer said:
Yeah....everybody gets the same form letter back.
Yeah, maybe when the AFL-CIO commands folks to write the letters the standard form letter reply is sent.

EVERY letter I have sent, gets a direct response related to the SUBJECT MATTER of the letter I wrote.

I don't normally send form letters, because I don't want a form letter in return.

Is it your position that your letters are not read because your are not an AFL-CIO member?

Or are you really directly related to AFL-CIO activity?

Do you have to be involved in political campaigns and support a certain cadidate to have your letters read by your representative?

Didn't I talk directly to you on Friday? I met a guy named Art Luby that reminds me of you.

RV4 - nope...not a union guy. I've written Bob Dole as a Kansas citizen and G.W. Bush as an American citizen. They replied (if you want to call it that). Only reason I responded is that I can't see what this thread has anything to do with American Airlines, other than a mechanic in Tulsa asked a question.

Sound like these workers got a better contract offer than our Industry Leading Concession agreement. How come Sweeney didn't fight for us? Aren't we "workers"?

AFL-CIO chief arrested at Yale rally
By AP Wire Service
9/14/2003
View in Print (PDF) Format

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- AFL-CIO President John Sweeney was arrested with at least 100 demonstrators Saturday for blocking traffic as they marched through city streets in support of two striking Yale University unions.
Sweeney and hundreds of demonstrators had planned to be arrested during the rally and march, which drew a crowd that police estimated at more than 10,000. The march jammed downtown traffic for blocks and drew lengthy honks from supporters and aggravated drivers alike.

Sweeney's hands were bound with plastic ties as he boarded a bus and yelled "Anything for the workers!"

Meg Riccio, a Yale dining hall worker who was among those arrested, said she didn't mind being taken to a police station.

"It's worth getting a criminal record because I'm working for a criminal," she said.

Thousands of members of Northeast unions converged on New Haven for the demonstration in support of two unions representing about 4,000 clerical, technical and maintenance workers at Yale. The unions went on strike three weeks ago.

"This is a fight against a very wealthy institution," Sweeney said. "Unions across the country are coming to lend their support. They are coming to bring their attention to the struggle."

Yale spokesman Tom Conroy said the demonstration was irrelevant to contract negotiations, likening it to a union recruitment drive.

"Yale is just serving as a good backdrop," Conroy said.

Leaders of Locals 34 and 35 have said some progress has been made since the strike began, but they and Yale remain far apart on pension and other issues.

Yale has offered an eight-year contract with pay raises of 3 percent to 5 percent, pension benefit increases and signing bonuses. The university has repeatedly said more unionized workers are reporting to work than walking the picket lines.

KCFlyer said:
RV4 - nope...not a union guy. I've written Bob Dole as a Kansas citizen and G.W. Bush as an American citizen. They replied (if you want to call it that). Only reason I responded is that I can't see what this thread has anything to do with American Airlines, other than a mechanic in Tulsa asked a question.

If you are not a "union guy" how would know what relates to our employment and current union debate?

The AFL-CIO issue was brought up many times during the Q&A of Fridays AMFA Informational Meeting. And it wasn't a question, it was a statement based on a belief. And a very incorrect one at that.

You CHOOSE to read and post on these type of discussions.

I think there are moderators here that decide what is related to AA and the work force.

I welcome your opinions, but could you please cease with the complaints about threads which you fail to pass on by, and CHOOSE to read? Thanks is advance KC.

If your reason for responding was that you "can't see what this thread has anything to do with American Airlines". It sure wasn't evdident in your original posting.

Other than a mechanic at TUL asked the question?

Mechanics at TUL have a lot to do with American Airlines. As do all of the work groups. I could say that if it were not for the mechanics, the pilots would not have a plane to fly... but of course this is about the accomplishments the AFL-CIO has acheived for the mechanic and related. It is about the differences in mechanic and related workers deciding on union representation and the issues of thier craft and class.

So...it's kind of a "six degrees of separation" thing huh? I mean, if a Mechanic in Tulsa rented the movie "Hoffa", then it's okay to post a dissertation of the Teamsters union on the American Airlines board?

At one time the AFL-Cio actually represented the core beliefs of their members.Now though they are but a fund raising machine for the Democrats and their soft money cash cow. :down:

They have sold their soul to the liberals and the communists to maintain some sembelance of power in the American workforce. Years ago they fought against illeagel immigrants taking jobs away from American workers now they welcome those same illeagels into their ranks as long as they pay dues they will represent them. English, we dont need no stinkin english. All we need is the unions and the democrats to destroy the American worker. Actions always speak louder than words. Pay attention to their(afl-cio) words but pay more attention to their actions and you will be enlightened as to the true agenda of the afl-cio today

The AFL-CIO is not a top down organization like our TWU. Each union can simply walk out of the organization if it does not like the policies of the AFL-CIO. Many have done so several times, the Teamsters for example.

Sweeney is elected by the heads of the unions. Therefore the ability of the AFL-CIO to push reform of the labor movement is severely limited. Sweeney can not push any union to reform or take a stand. If Sweeney was at Yale its because the Union representing those workers asked him to be there. The Union at Yale has decided to fight, our union decided to submit. If Sweeney would have taken an agressive role in our situation more than likely our union would have protested about his interference.

When it comes to internal union issues the AFL-CIO is of absolutely no use.

Its external issues such as politics and mutual support where being affiliated can be of great value, but if your leaders dont ask, the AFL-CIO will not act.

While the AFL-CIO can be a great assett its real value to the members and their interests is determined by the Unions leadership. If the leadership is bad, AFL-CIO affiliation will probably not do much for the members.

All things considered, AFL-CIO affiliation should be sought. However when determining which union you should choose to represent you it should not be a determing factor unless past history has proven that the affiliated organization has been able to secure better pay and benifits as a reslt of that affiliation.

In the current situations we should keep in mind that just because a union is not affiliated at this time it does not mean that it never will. In other words the new unions that are springing up in this industry could very well become affiliated in the future. The Air Taffic Controllers Union was accepted as a replacement for PATCO. Its unlikely that if these unions get large enough that they would be refused. If the majority of mechanics in the Industry belong to the AMFA, more than likely they would be accepted. It should be remembered that there are a lot of Craft unions in the AFL-CIO. More than likely they (especially ALPA and the AFA) secretly are sympathetic to the mechanics drive, even though for political reasons within the AFL-CIO they attack AMFA now. After all how can they really argue against the concept of AMFA when they are craft unions? If they really feel that the mechanics, liscenced airmen like the pilots , should not have their own union then why dont they offer to split their members up between the TWU and IAM?

RV4 said:
Sound like these workers got a better contract offer than our Industry Leading Concession agreement. How come Sweeney didn't fight for us? Aren't we "workers"?

By AP Wire Service
9/14/2003

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- AFL-CIO President John Sweeney was arrested with at least 100 demonstrators Saturday for blocking traffic as they marched through city streets in support of two striking Yale University unions.
Sweeney and hundreds of demonstrators had planned to be arrested during the rally and march, which drew a crowd that police estimated at more than 10,000. The march jammed downtown traffic for blocks and drew lengthy honks from supporters and aggravated drivers alike.

Sweeney's hands were bound with plastic ties as he boarded a bus and yelled "Anything for the workers!"

Meg Riccio, a Yale dining hall worker who was among those arrested, said she didn't mind being taken to a police station.

"It's worth getting a criminal record because I'm working for a criminal," she said.

Thousands of members of Northeast unions converged on New Haven for the demonstration in support of two unions representing about 4,000 clerical, technical and maintenance workers at Yale. The unions went on strike three weeks ago.

"This is a fight against a very wealthy institution," Sweeney said. "Unions across the country are coming to lend their support. They are coming to bring their attention to the struggle."

Yale spokesman Tom Conroy said the demonstration was irrelevant to contract negotiations, likening it to a union recruitment drive.

Leaders of Locals 34 and 35 have said some progress has been made since the strike began, but they and Yale remain far apart on pension and other issues.

Yale has offered an eight-year contract with pay raises of 3 percent to 5 percent, pension benefit increases and signing bonuses. The university has repeatedly said more unionized workers are reporting to work than walking the picket lines.
Union employees at Yale got raises. Unionized employees at AA voted to accept the Company's concession demands.

Yale is not an airline. Yale wasn't in danger of goin' out of business.

What's next? Unionized garbagemen got a raise in LA. Why not union labor at AA?

FWAAA said:
RV4 said:

By AP Wire Service
9/14/2003

Union employees at Yale got raises. Unionized employees at AA voted to accept the Company's concession demands.

This is going to turn into a thread about the vote for union concessions at AA.

The question still remains, what has the AFLCIO done for the craft and class of the mechanic and related.

FWAAA said:

The Union leaders at Yale led a strike, the union leaders at AA gave away the store.

Enough already with the exaggerations. AA may have been ready to go into Bankruptcy protection, a lot different than out of business.

How soon we forget that Bush told the UAL mechanics they could not strike because of the impact it would have on the broader economy, yet you guys expect us to believe that the government would have stood by and allowed nearly half the airline industry to shut their doors, isolating hundreds if not thousands of communities, severely impacting tourism and other industries and causing perhaps thousands more to get laid off if we had not been "snookered" by our leaders into accepting the most massive concessions in labor history for a five year contract?

The fact is that the airlines knew that the Union leaders had no b@!!$ and they played them, and us, to the max.

Doesnt any one find it strange that if things were really that bad, how come all these "goin' out of business" airlines are still around?

The airlines are considered an "essential" industry, some governments have been willing to operate airlines at a loss because of all the other revenue that the airlines help to generate.

Dave(Mo),
You must be some supernatural letter writer! Every letter has been personally responded too by the politician you were writing? You don’t think they have a canned response for almost every issue? DAVE, WAKE UP YOUR DREAMING AGAIN! You’re a bigger goon than I thought you were. Now I’m not saying that you’ve never received a letter from you reps, but the large majority of letters get reviewed by staffers and receive the appropriate canned response. Terry’s point was to say, that there is a difference between what a politician does when he receives correspondence and support from a group that actively supports him and could help him get re-elected from he does when he receives a letter from a constituent that he doesn’t know and doesn’t have the power to help him get re-elected. Contrary to yours and others beliefs those are not always democrats. There are some very influential republican and independent politicians that are supported and have good relations with the AFL. One Mr. Spector comes immediately to mind, who the TWU asked to sponsor and present the latest aviation related changes. Also, Terry never implied that individual participation was not important. To the contrary, that’s exactly why we get involved and try to educate our members, in order for them to get involved. Heck, that’s why Terry is involved himself! You may not need to pay a lobbyist to express your concerns, but then again, when is the last time you testified before congress in an effort to help working men and women. I am aware that you testified before a senate committee regarding the “Paycheck Protection Act†which would have seriously limited Unions monetary power. Senator Don Nichols used you because you are a blind Union member in an effort to damage working Americans and you were to stupid to see it! Unless you have “influenceâ€, it just doesn’t happen! Unfortunately most influence comes with money and the ability to represent large numbers of people. That is what the AFL brings. I seriously doubt a politician will listen to you before he listens to a big business man who contributes a large some of money to his campaign war chest. We are all aware that big business out spends labor 10 to 1. That is why we can’t give up, groups like the AFL-CIO help level the playing field when the issue is about labor. AMFA has previously stated that they wanted to model themselves after the ALPA which spends millions of dollars a year on lobbyists. Frankly I don’t think you all know what you want!

Latest posts