What happened today?

Today I had the pleasure of experiencing 3 airport and joined friends for some drinks in Tempe; some of my friends had also experienced a variety of airports.

We all had the same comment:

"no waits, no lines, lots of empty seats"

I spoke with employees on most of my legs today, mostly afternoon & early evening flights -- flights that *should* have been jam packed, yet my mid-con had 40 open seats, my first leg had about 30. I felt that the flights would be packed so our Pass Bureau requested positive space for me, and I got it. But apparently I didn't NEED it.

Some employees are telling me that "it just feels like any other Friday.. we're heavy, but nothing like last year".

Before I jump and say we've dropped the ball so bad that people aren't chosing USAirways --- some friends also flying American & United said the same thing: they were amazed at how "empty" the airports felt compared to Thanksgiving days of the past.

Is it possibe.... that we, as airlines, have screwed up to the point that customers are now not flying like they used to out of fear of being stuck on some ramp for 3 hours, or not getting their bags for 2 days, or being told they don't have a seat and nothing open till new years??

anyone else out there notice that today???

This was the smoothest Thanksgiving Wednesday I' ve ever experienced since 1987 when I began my airline career. The flights out of ILM (Wilmington, NC) were full but not oversold. Also, the flight's ran ontime or early.

I actually awoke an hour earlier today to divulge in some extra caffeine. I was preparing for the worst.

Same thing in CLT today, nothing out of the ordinary load wise. I tend to agree with the "Big Screw Up" theory, but also would add that IMO most people would probably choose to fly rather than pay $3.00 + for a gal of gas to get to where they are going. But OTOH corporate greed and the present administration have made it extremely difficult for the middle class to make a "Living Wage" these days. As a consequence most people have no choice but to stay home. :down:

bird

Same thing in CLT today, nothing out of the ordinary load wise. I tend to agree with the "Big Screw Up" theory, but also would add that IMO most people would probably choose to fly rather than pay $3.00 + for a gal of gas to get to where they are going. But OTOH corporate greed and the present administration have made it extremely difficult for the middle class to make a "Living Wage" these days. As a consequence most people have no choice but to stay home. :down:

bird

http://www6.comcast.net/news/articles/nati...cvqh=itn_travel

It's probably somewhat related to the airline being unable to accomdate pax with every flight so full, just in case there is a weather meltdown or something similar. They may have controlled the overbooking to allow for seats to be available, costly, but also necessary after previous experiences.

They may have controlled the overbooking to allow for seats to be available, costly, but also necessary after previous experiences.

I find this hard to believe when they continually book our 757s holding 185 into the 204-206 range on a constant basis. They have been kind to us the Sunday after Thanksgiving with most flights only being over 2-5, but they are full on Sunday and not on Wed so I dont think they held back anything yesterday since the flights didnt make it to actual capacity, let alone aus. Either people flew out earlier in the week, are flying today or found another way to get there.

It's probably somewhat related to the airline being unable to accomdate pax with every flight so full, just in case there is a weather meltdown or something similar. They may have controlled the overbooking to allow for seats to be available, costly, but also necessary after previous experiences.

It's probably somewhat related to a major airline telling potential customers to expect 60% of flights to go on time (if it meets its goal) and customers deciding they would find another way to get there.

I find this hard to believe when they continually book our 757s holding 185 into the 204-206 range on a constant basis. They have been kind to us the Sunday after Thanksgiving with most flights only being over 2-5, but they are full on Sunday and not on Wed so I dont think they held back anything yesterday since the flights didnt make it to actual capacity, let alone aus. Either people flew out earlier in the week, are flying today or found another way to get there.

You have to consider the holiday period we're in, much different results from advanced bookings. Even though they consistently overbook a 757, my point was in this holiday rush, they refrained from overbooking as high, there is less no-show in holiday periods and the company must have a few seats left in case we run into bad weather, cancellations, sicks, etc,.

It used to be that Wednesday before Thanksgiving was the madhouse that redefined the term madhouse for our generation. And then Thanksgiving Day itself, the a/c would be empty.

It seems to me (and this is just opinion, no data to back it up) that more and more people have discovered that flying on Thanksgiving morning is less stressful and still gets you there in time for turkey and football on tv in most cases.

This takes some of the pressure off day before flying.

LGA's US Terminal, especially the ticket counter lines and food court on the one walk around the building I took on my lunch break around 1600 Wednesday where much less crowded than a normal Wed, Thur, or Sunday afternoon, very freaky. And as others have said I don't think it was just US. I read somwhere that more people are making Thanksgiving trips to grandma's a longer trip than in the past, based on problems many have had or least read about/heard from others about from previous years. Last weekend did seem especially busy and bookings for Monday and even Tuesday coming up seem very high !

My 2 cents and Happy Thanksgiving to ALL !

LGA777

FWIW, I flew Delta on Monday and Tuesday, and the flights were full (but not oversold). The SLC-ATL flight was the first time in a very long time that I couldn't get a seat assignment when I booked the ticket.

Why would'nt you buy a ticket on U for your Thanksgiving holiday? Oh, I know, because you want to get there on time and with your luggage?

The TATL loads for CLT-LGW-CLT on 21st and 22nd were in the 90%s...

I just flew DCA-LAS on US873...I usually am #11 out of 16-18 nonrevs on this flight but today I was #1 out of 3...the GA said the DCA-PHX was so light...everyone went on that flight...I'm amazed...well..Fresno here I come!

On Monday non reved on US flt at 11am from PHX to PHL and almost all center seats were open got deplaned from jump seat on the flight prior at 10 am but got exit row and even though in holding pattern two times still landed early with a jet bridge problems still got in earlier than expect to crew the STL departure.

Not time to go to my crash pad and get a coat but all was well......