What if, what if..........

gonzo

Veteran
Oct 17, 2005
What if the IAM wins the single carrier status: The IAM will represent all the Mechanics and related as they did at the "old" U. The contract the IAM has in place now will remain and a transitional contract will be established.

What if the Teamsters win single carrier status: The original contract will be in effect and the negotiations will continue to amend that contract. The likelihood of the Teamsters winning single carrier status is not very possible, because of the number of members that are involved.(past NMB rulings)

What if there is a vote and the IAM wins what happens then?: The IAM contract stays in effect and a transition agreement is established for the AWA Mechanics and Related. The IAM contract will be amenable in 2009.

What if the Teamsters win the vote what will happen then?: If the Teamsters (IBT) win the vote the present contract that the AWA Teamsters have will remain in effect. A transitional contract will be established for the "old" U group of Mechanics and Related. The Teamster contract is being negotiated now so the negotiations will continue.

What if I feel that the information in this thread is not "factual": All the information is factual to the best of my knowledge. If you feel that the information is in error then please provide specific references of traceable information. IE. the NMB, RLA, etc. :)

finally in response to 700uw all questions finally answered??
why the sudden confession? :lol:

What confession?? These have always been the answers. Ok.....I have never said different.

Mr. 7 has been saying that "even if the IBT wins the vote" the IAM contract will be the contract. Not true. That is what this is all about. :)

What confession?? These have always been the answers. Ok.....I have never said different.

Mr. 7 has been saying that "even if the IBT wins the vote" the IAM contract will be the contract. Not true. That is what this is all about. :)
you'd find IAM covered obligated until '09 gonzo...and in '09 say bye to in house. ;)

Your forgot one scary option...

As I understand it, if either union does not get at least 50%+1 of the total eligible votes, you end up with no union at all. I was told that this is in Federal labor law.

I.E.,
1. Suppose there are 1000 mechanics eligible to vote.
2. Only 800 of them bother to vote.
3. IAM (or IBT, doesn't matter) gets 450 votes and the other get 350.
4. Because the criteria is one union must get at least 501 votes (50% of eligible +1), both unions are decertified.

Your forgot one scary option...

As I understand it, if either union does not get at least 50%+1 of the total eligible votes, you end up with no union at all. I was told that this is in Federal labor law.

I.E.,
1. Suppose there are 1000 mechanics eligible to vote.
2. Only 800 of them bother to vote.
3. IAM (or IBT, doesn't matter) gets 450 votes and the other get 350.
4. Because the criteria is one union must get at least 501 votes (50% of eligible +1), both unions are decertified.

Hold it right there. If 50% plus one person votes that is the stipulation. Neither union has to receive 50% plus one person of the votes. In your example the IAM or IBT would be the winner the other (350) is not. If the eligible members that vote (it doesn't matter who they vote for) are 50% plus one person then that is all that is needed.

If there is not a clear winner (if 50% plus one votes are made) then the top two choices will be selected by the NMB and and a RUN-OFF ELECTION will take place. In this vote for the two selections made by the NMB a MAJORITY of votes will be the deciding factor. It does not have to be 50% plus one person (RUN-OFF ELECTION ONLY) it only has to be a majority. Reference National Mediation Board Representation Manual (June 21, 2005), Section 16.o (page 24?), RUN-OFF ELECTIONS.

Hold it right there. If 50% plus one person votes that is the stipulation. Neither union has to receive 50% plus one person of the votes. In your example the IAM or IBT would be the winner the other (350) is not. If the eligible members that vote (it doesn't matter who they vote for) are 50% plus one person then that is all that is needed.

If there is not a clear winner (if 50% plus one votes are made) then the top two choices will be selected by the NMB and and a RUN-OFF ELECTION will take place. In this vote for the two selections made by the NMB a MAJORITY of votes will be the deciding factor. It does not have to be 50% plus one person (RUN-OFF ELECTION ONLY) it only has to be a majority. Reference National Mediation Board Representation Manual (June 21, 2005), Section 16.o (page 24?), RUN-OFF ELECTIONS.
Well lets see what dell and Mr.7 have to say this time :bleh:

Well lets see what dell and Mr.7 have to say this time :bleh:
what you should be flapping your tongue over is the chance you may not see 50%...then everyone enjoys booga-booga...that simple. :mf_boff: :mf_boff:
PIT IBT friendly's advise although there are cards on the property...IAM will come out on top....as far as PIT goes... take it to the bank ;)

what you should be flapping your tongue over is the chance you may not see 50%...then everyone enjoys booga-booga...that simple. :mf_boff: :mf_boff:
PIT IBT friendly's advise although there are cards on the property...IAM will come out on top....as far as PIT goes... take it to the bank ;)

You know what I have the greatest of confidence that the members of IAM will not just roll over and give up like you are trying to say they will do. I truly believe that they will turn out in sufficient numbers to make a decision that will improve their lives in the light of the BK's and the merger they have just been through.

SEND IN THAT CARD TODAY AND MAKE A STAND FOR YOUR FUTURE. :)