What is A la Carte?

beachboy

Veteran
Jul 7, 2006
US Airways’ A la Carte
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. What does A la Carte mean?“A la Carte†simply means to charge a separate price for each item on the menu. This gives consumers the advantage of paying only for services that they want to use.
2. Why are we selling items that we haven’t sold in the past?
The economic dynamics of the industry have changed requiring a quantum shift as to how we market our airline. We are committed to rewriting the playbook to ensure the longâ€term viability and success of US Airways.
3. Why can’t we raise ticket prices instead of increasing extra fees for passengers?
The industry currently suffers from excess capacity. The domestic mainâ€cabin product has evolved into a price driven consumer purchase. US Airways, along with other airlines, periodically raise fares in certain markets. Because there are too many available seats
in the market, other airlines do not always match our price increases in order to take advantage of their lower sales price and sellâ€off some of their seat inventory to that market. When this happens, our bookings drop dramatically (which puts us at risk) and we are
forced to reduce our prices to compete. As all airlines reduce capacity in the upcoming months, we will be in a better position to raise prices as the supply of available seats becomes limited. Although this will play an important role in our airline’s ability to obtain
additional revenue, this alone will not be enough. In addition to raising future ticket prices, we must also embrace the A la Carte sales model in order to make up for skyâ€rocketing fuel prices and return our airline to longâ€term profitability. The A la Carte model helps us to keep our ticket prices as low as possible to stay competitive, while only charging passengers for the extra amenities that theychoose.
4. Are other airlines selling nonâ€alcoholic beverages onboard?
Most major airlines are selling a variety of onboard products. This includes:
Delta: Snacks/alcohol/headsets
American: Snacks/alcohol/bottled water/headsets (also currently testing other products)
United: Snacks/alcohol/headsets
Allegiant: All food and beverages/gift items
Spirit: All food and beverages
Other airlines are researching the financial benefits of selling items onboard. US Airways and other airlines have been utilizing the A la
Carte model for years in the form of dutyâ€free and Inâ€flight Café sales.
5. What are we going to sell?
Beginning August 1st, we will charge for items currently listed on the beverage menu on the last page of the US Airways Magazine.
• Minis, beer and wine are priced $7 each.
• Nonâ€alcoholic beverages (soda/juice/bottled water) are priced at $2 each (water will be a 16.9 oz bottle).
• Mother Parker’s coffee and hot tea is priced at $1, with free refills.
• Mixed drinks (rum & Coke, vodka/tonic, Bailey’s & coffee, etc.) are priced at $7 – this price is the same with or without mixer.
These prices will apply on all Mexico, Caribbean, Hawaii and domestic flights. Transatlantic and Shuttle service will remain the same.
6. How will passengers learn about the new program?
Passengers will receive a message when checkingâ€in using the kiosks or on the Web. Posters will be placed in the gate area and the US
Airways Magazine will be updated. The first part of a new Levelâ€Off video will explain the program to passengers. It is imperative that the Levelâ€Off video is shown in its entirety to clearly educate the passengers on this program. New F/A service announcements will
achieve this goal on aircraft without video equipment.
Published by InFlight Services 06/18/08
7. Are we exploring an alternative brand of coffee since we are charging now?
Yes, although this solution may not be in place before we start selling beverages on August 1st, we are actively engaged with nationally known vendors and have conducted onboard product testing. Beginning August 1st, we will sell our current Mother Parker’s brand for
$1 – with complimentary refills.
8. When will we have handheld point of sale devices onboard?
We will not have handhelds onboard prior to the August 1st launch of our A la Carte program, however we plan to have them onboard in the fall. We are in the process of selecting the vendor based upon your feedback – at which point we will develop our specific user
interface for the device and train F/As on their proper usage. Our research shows the handhelds will make your onboard processes
much easier. Once in place, we will accept both cash and credit cards while continuing to study viable alternatives.
9. Can we sell pillows and blankets?
A variety of pillow and blanket solutions are being offered for sale by other airlines. We are evaluating this concept to determine what is feasible for US. We are looking at other creative passenger comfort alternatives for this program and will update you as we progress
in our research.
10. Are there any passengers who will receive complimentary beverages under normal flight
circumstances?

Unaccompanied minors, uniformed deadheading crew members, working flight and cabin crew members and passengers on all Transatlantic and Shuttle flights will continue to receive complimentary nonâ€alcoholic beverages. In addition, beer and wine will
continue to be complimentary on Shuttle flights.
11. May I use complimentary, nonâ€alcoholic beverages as needed for medical situations?
Yes, per instructions in the IEM or at the direction of MedLink physicians in emergency situations you may provide any beverage necessary on a complimentary basis. If someone needs to take medication under nonâ€emergency situations, then you will pour a complimentary cup of bottled water.
12. How can we possibly accomplish sales on shorter flights?
We are working with F/As to develop new, userâ€friendly service guidelines to be published in August. Airlines currently selling nonalcoholic beverages onboard have seen a decrease in demand. This provides ample time for F/As to serve the passengers who choose
to purchase items.
13. Will we be selling snacks in the future?
Not initially, however we are evaluating the feasibility of providing our customers the opportunities to purchase snacks onboard in
future phases of the program.
14. Will I have to inventory all nonâ€alcoholic beverages?
There are no plans to require F/As to inventory nonâ€alcoholic beverages at this time.
15. Will there be a new form?
Starting August 1st, there will be a new, easyâ€toâ€use form that will help you keep track of your sales. We will be communicating the details in July and providing crew room support on the use of this new form. Once the handhelds are implemented, the new form will
serve as an envelope to contain cash collected and the corresponding flight sales report from each flight. The envelope will be resealable
so it can be used for multiple flights in a day. The envelope will also be used as a backup in the unlikely event the handhelds are unable to print a flight sales report.
All deposits will be handled the same manner in which they are today.

What a freakin joke! They really have not thought this through. Does mgmt know how dumb and incompetent they sound? Just when you think it can't get any worse it can and it does. :down:

What I will find interesting when we actually began this A la Carte system is … how will the revenue vs. product accounting take place? The current system that is being used for Beer, Liquor, and Wine has no means to correspond the sales…revenue…and accounting!

The cash goes one place, with the Flight Attendants, while the product container with the remaining product and supposed paperwork goes to the Catering Facility.

Once the “Product Container†reaches the Catering facility, agents remove the seals, throw the paperwork away without a glance... and refill the container to specifications.

There is no auditing system in place to actually have checks, and balances to verify revenue with returned inventory. In my opinion… until this situation is rectified, any such program will be unmanageable in terms of accounting.

Piedmont Airlines maintained a virtually airtight system… that accounted for every single unit of beverage sold, and included the cash revenue proceeds with the returned product, and paper work all in one locked, secure container. The Catering Agents then removed the locks… counted the revenue…verified the returned product… matched all that to the Flight Attendants paperwork… and then performed strict inventories at the end of each shift to insure all monies… paper work, and used product correlated. This was done down to the penny!

A system such as this will be needed... to ensure the full benefit of In-Flight sales revenues.

To do that it would take infrastructure and investments. Which to these pea brains the concept is lost. To be truly accountable, the cost of checks and balance outweighs the revenue!
I get furious at filling that paperwork out and doing my part only to have catering come on yank off the seals in front of me and throw things in the cart! What was the point? There was none.

I agree but who are we kidding. We all know that will never happen.

Mmmmm…

Actually… the personnel… facilities… and procedures, are already in place, and paid for until at least the end of 2012!

It will be up to the Company to utilize them!

Do yahh think they’re smart enough to do it?

P.S. I don't !

The entire think just creates more money for the flight attendants that steal. There are so few of us honest ones left.

2. Why are we selling items that we haven’t sold in the past?
The economic dynamics of the industry have changed requiring a quantum shift as to how we market our airline. We are committed to rewriting the playbook to ensure the longâ€￾term viability and success of US Airways.

<SNIP>

Airlines currently selling nonalcoholic beverages onboard have seen a decrease in demand.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense to me.

Until they invest in a system like Virgin America has, forget it. Total JOKE! Repeat after me...C A S H L E S S

The envelope will also be used as a backup in the likely event the handhelds are unable to print a flight sales report.
Fixed that for yinz.

6. How will passengers learn about the new program?
Jokes on late night TV

We are looking at other creative passenger comfort alternatives for this program and will update you as we progress in our research.
Boiled p-nuts, tampons, beef jerky, chewing tobacco...

Other airlines are researching the financial benefits of selling items onboard.
The major benifit being having new FF customers that used to fly US.

And question # 1 burns my hide! "What is A la Carte?" Excuse me!? We know what it is. I have been to Mortons and Ruth Chris and Mark Joseph's in NYC! We know what it is you morons! How dare you talk down to us. It's might be a new term for you but not for us.

US Airways’ A la Carte
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
9. Can we sell pillows and blankets?
typical anti-customer westie question.

where are all the other legacy carriers in matching us' newest a la carte initiatives?!?!?!?!? posters who are consistently wrong in their "predictions" suggested all of the majors would be matching non alcohol beverage sales imminently...

nothing...

What a freakin joke! They really have not thought this through. Does mgmt know how dumb and incompetent they sound? Just when you think it can't get any worse it can and it does. :down:

Exactly. Put aside the whole thing about charging for Mother Parker's :blink: coffee. That FAQs shows how incompetent they are. Rush rush rush to cut cut cut and ignoring all of the potential problems that will ultimately increase costs and negatively affect the morale of employees and the experience of customers.

Exactly, look up under "shares cutover'. Hey, it's an "modus operandi " as far as I have experienced, and I am sure many others. :angry2:
How can anyone in the home office or the board of directors live with them selves.
It is just lazy.

Latest posts