What is the Current American Airlines Cost per Available Seat Mile?

I''d like to know as well. Before the concessions, we were bombarded hourly with detailed info on just how much money we were losing per day. Are we still losing money? If so, how much and when does the company see reaching the breakeven point or maybe even profitability?

MK

I haven''t seen a "real" figure either. The only thing I have heard is that it is somewhere between Delta''s and Northwests.

Isn't it interesting how AA claims they want to "keep us informed"? Of certain aspect of the business that is, you know, the negative aspects.

The most recent unofficial number i''ve heard was in DFW
about 2 weeks ago. Dan Garton advised during one of the
"agent interaction meetings" that AA was losing approx
3 million per day. He also pointed out that we''ve maxed out all of our credit, and that if we don''t turn things around soon Chapter 11 awaits.

In another week it''s the end of the second quarter, and AA should be reporting their numbers including RASM and CASM.

For now it''s safe to assume that their CASM is somewhere north of their RASM.

It does seem to me (I have no evidence to support this) that things are picking up a bit. I''m seeing lots of bargain fares from SFO to Asia, but to Europe it''s now sky high -- even higher than pre 9/11. I just sent one of the guys to LHR and with one week notice the cheapest ticket was $2000. I helped a friend book a flight from SFO to AMS and with two months in advance the best we could find was $1000.

I was thinking about a quick trip to JFK tomorrow, but changed my mind. I usually fly out of SFO, but AA sent us postcards saying their HIGHEST fare from SJC to JFK was $299 and first class capped at $599. So I go online, and using Sidestep which is where I usually find the best prices, AA comes back with $1800. I''m confused about that since they''re advertising prices on that route as NEVER being more than $299.

There must be some fine print someewhere I overlooked.

Meantime, United is advertising heavily out here, but I have seen nothing from AA in quite a while. They must have cut way back on the ad budget. You''d think they''d be doing follow-up ads to "More Room Throughout Coach". Maybe something like "No More Room Throughout Coach".

mAArky

----------------
On 6/24/2003 11:34:54 PM MrMarky wrote:

Meantime, United is advertising heavily out here, but I have seen nothing from AA in quite a while. They must have cut way back on the ad budget. You''d think they''d be doing follow-up ads to "More Room Throughout Coach". Maybe something like "No More Room Throughout Coach".

----------------

That''s funny, I can''t pick up a paper here in NY without seeing an ad for the $299 fare thing.

All the local papers, USA Today and a fairly heavy rotation on television as well.

United ads are few and far between on this coast.
Maybe they''ve cut way back on the ad budget eh?

As for "No More Room Throughout Coach", thats only on the 757''s and A300''s.

----------------

In another week it''s the end of the second quarter, and AA should be reporting their numbers including RASM and CASM.

For now it''s safe to assume that their CASM is somewhere north of their RASM.

It does seem to me (I have no evidence to support this) that things are picking up a bit. I''m seeing lots of bargain fares from SFO to Asia, but to Europe it''s now sky high -- even higher than pre 9/11. I just sent one of the guys to LHR and with one week notice the cheapest ticket was $2000. I helped a friend book a flight from SFO to AMS and with two months in advance the best we could find was $1000.

I was thinking about a quick trip to JFK tomorrow, but changed my mind. I usually fly out of SFO, but AA sent us postcards saying their HIGHEST fare from SJC to JFK was $299 and first class capped at $599. So I go online, and using Sidestep which is where I usually find the best prices, AA comes back with $1800. I''m confused about that since they''re advertising prices on that route as NEVER being more than $299.

mAArky

----------------​

AA''s marketing doesn''t appear to realize that when a customer on his first contact with the airline sees or is told that the passage will be $1800 plus...you have already lost that customer. He will go shopping somewhere else.

Switch and bait is not ethical and maybe even illegal. However why not quote the low end of the scale or the median, and then put in the fine print about last minute purchased tickets etc?

I have done comparison''s between AA and SWA, they are never that far apart. If you ignore the price gouging of the "book fare".

----------------
On 6/25/2003 12:59:54 PM SANman wrote:

----------------

----------------​

Not possible. AA doesn''t have any published fares higher than $299 one-way in coach on the nonstop. The only way you could have gotten $1800 was on a connection, or possibly a thru flight into LGA. Not that that doesn''t add to the confusion, of course.

----------------​

I just did a random, sort of querrie, for SFO to JFK, came back with around $2530 round trip.

As I wrote in my previous posting, if I were shopping for a flight, I would now be looking at a carrier that has the reputation of being cheaper. I would not spend any more time on AA.com. Plus the capped fares are only on a few selected routes.

----------------
On 6/25/2003 1:10:20 PM j7915 wrote:

I just did a random, sort of querrie, for SFO to JFK, came back with around $2530 round trip.

As I wrote in my previous posting, if I were shopping for a flight, I would now be looking at a carrier that has the reputation of being cheaper. I would not spend any more time on AA.com. Plus the capped fares are only on a few selected routes.

----------------​

Don''t disagree with you at all that the $2350 is out of whack, but again that''s to SFO - as you pointed out, the lower fares are only valid on a few routes. My point was that it wasn''t possible to get $1800 nonstop from SJC, and it definitely isn''t bait and switch. The ad never says you can get $299 from SFO. Not that dissimilar to Chicago, where you can get great fares to NYC from MDW that you can''t get from ORD. Even on the same airline.

In any event, stunts like this can''t work long term unless you overhaul your pricing everywhere. You can satisfy your SJC customer with a great $299 fare to JFK, but the next week when that guy has to go to BOS and you''re asking him to pay $2000, you''ve probably lost him again to TZ.

----------------

----------------​

Not possible. AA doesn''t have any published fares higher than $299 one-way in coach on the nonstop. The only way you could have gotten $1800 was on a connection, or possibly a thru flight into LGA. Not that that doesn''t add to the confusion, of course.

Well I don''t know what to tell you. I typed in SJC-JFK and selected "search by best fare". And it came back with $1800 on AA. The lowest fare was on JetBlue at around $400. It showed JetBlue out of OAK, because I checked the box that says "also search nearby airports".

Latest posts