What is up with the A330

Disclaimer: I am not talking about any particular airline. :ph34r:

heh.....Either I'm having some serious deja vu or our A330's need a week of vacation so that mtc can really get down to the nitty gritty and find out what is behind the constant mx....

First of all, let me disclaim that I work the gates and have very, very limited mtc knowledge and could be getting things mixed up.....I am not trained to know what exactlyis broken or how often it needs to be fixed...that's why I get paid....oh wait...do I get paid?

Anyhow, when I walk down to the plane to drop off the cargo and crew/gendecs bag, I notice mtc on board jacking with the video monitor on 1H and tooling around with the footrest on 5G.

Immediately , Im thinking, okay, same thing happened day before yesterday and two days before that , this must be tail number ###. Sure enough, the gen decs tells me, it is in fact ###.

The next day, mtc is in the cockpit messing with avionics. Oh, well that means that TODAY we have a/c ###

Every plane seems to have its own problems that are recurring with every flight, preventing the crew from getting prepared , preventing us from boarding, resulting in all kinds temper tantrums from managements because it is "a critical flight"

So now, when we flifo our flight, we can tell what mtc issues are probably going to show up based on what tail it is and unfortunately, our little game is accurate way too often.

The issues that are happening with these planes , we are told, are not serious, yet they prevent us from getting out on time nearly every night...

My long-winded question is - - why are these problems recurring? Is there any way to just fix it once and be done with it? Hangar it for a weekend and really get in there and repair these lights that are going off?

Is this expensive for the company or something? I just don't understand why the SAME issues are happening day in and day out...

Disclaimer: I am not talking about any particular airline. :ph34r:

heh.....Either I'm having some serious deja vu or our A330's need a week of vacation so that mtc can really get down to the nitty gritty and find out what is behind the constant mx....

You know, we had a little issue in CLT on Friday night with the flight to FRA which was MTC related. Not sure of the tail number, but the plane returned to the gate because the cabin lights were not working properly. Initially, it appeared to be a simple fix, but MTC eventually decided to pull the passengers and take the plane for a joyride around the field to see if they could replicate the problem with the engines running. About 90 minutes later, MTC brought the plane back to the gate and declared the problem corrected; however, on taxi out, the Captain called maintenance dispatch to report the same problem occurring again. Fortunately for the passengers, dispatch was able to convince the crew that the problem was not significant, and the flight departed several hours late.

Commentary: Most of the A330's are starting to show their 7 or 8 year old age, and maybe it's time for the company to cancel the leases and buy or lease some used Boeing 767-300's or 777-200's on the open market.

Commentary: Most of the A330's are starting to show their 7 or 8 year old age, and maybe it's time for the company to cancel the leases and buy or lease some used Boeing 767-300's or 777-200's on the open market.
Well, nice thought. But that will never happen. My 330 tonight had the call bells in coach ringing all night long. The bells would not stop. We couldn't get the d@#$ thing to shut up. It was literally 6:20hr of non-stop bell ringing. All in all the passengers were very understanding. There were a few that were about to go postal though. Can't blame them....we had similar thoughts as well.

We only have the A300 at AA, but when you guys post stuff like this, I understand why our people who have to fly the 300 call it the Scarebus. Glad I'm domestic, and not qualified on that a/c.

We only have the A300 at AA, but when you guys post stuff like this, I understand why our people who have to fly the 300 call it the Scarebus. Glad I'm domestic, and not qualified on that a/c.

Nothing like a Boeing...like the old saying says..."If it ain't a Boeing, I ain't Going" I've flown them both..Airbus vs Boeing....Boeing handsdown. We're stuck with them, money talks. You get what you pay for. Just MHO! I'll take the metal airplane anyday.

Off the subject a bit, but the poster who started this thread (internationalshannon) is over on the SWA board "Begging" them to come to CLT. We need more employees like you around. If you want to work for SWA so much...move up to RDU and get on with it.

Nothing like a Boeing...like the old saying says..."If it ain't a Boeing, I ain't Going" I've flown them both..Airbus vs Boeing....Boeing handsdown. We're stuck with them, money talks. You get what you pay for. Just MHO! I'll take the metal airplane anyday.

I don't agree with this at all. I've spent years on Boeing, Airbus, and Douglas equipment, among others. Every fleet had its pluses and minuses. The Boeings had every bit as many write ups as the others on a day to day basis. . As far as major issues, have you forgotten the 737 rudder problems? How about the 737 convertible in Hawaii? That was a "metal airplane." Better not ride on a Dreamliner....that won't have enough metal.

Our Boeing ETOPS fleet is having tons of problems these days, and for the same reasons as the 330s. Maintenance staffing has been cut to the bone at A-West, and parts availability is pathetic.

I thank my lucky stars I don't have to sit in that cramped, loud 737 Fluf cockpit anymore. I'll take the Cadillac - Airbus!

Q: What's wrong with the A330?
A: It's an Airbus, not a Boeing. That's what's wrong with it.

Aah...the ever popular and ubiquitous A vs B debate. It's been a while since we had one of those.

Just like the first A320 crashed because the computer overuled the pilot's command.

What about the AA A300 where the rudder cracked and fell off leaving JFK crashing.

A boeing statisically is more reliable than an airbus.

China Airlines A300 Disaster

In April of 1994, China Airlines A300 crashed at Japan's Nagoya airport, killing 264 of 271 people on board. The most likely cause of the crash was not solely the fault of software, but the confused interactions between software and human, in this case between the 26-year old copilot of the plane who was attempting to land the plane and the autopilot of the plane.

On 26 June 1988 an Air France Airbus A320 made a low level fly-past for an air show at the
Habsheim aeroclub in eastern France. The aircraft hit 35 foot high trees at the end of the short
grass runway and crashed. Of the 130 passengers, 3 died and over 50 were injured. The A320
was totally destroyed. The Flight Captain, Michel Asseline, climbed out of the blazing
wreck saying the engines had not accelerated as they should.

the crash to a malfunctioning of the A320's sophisticated computers, which they say prevented the pilot from lifting the plane above the treetops. Aviation experts had previously praised the A320's computer system, which in theory overrides pilot error, as being a revolutionary advance in civil aviation.

Just like the first A320 crashed because the computer overuled the pilot's command.

Actually, the "computer" worked as advertised. The test pilot allowed himself to be distracted by a cockpit full of unauthorized "guests" and screwed up. ( He served jail time for his gross negligence ) When you master the subject of airbus flight control laws, please get back to us. :down:

What about the AA A300 where the rudder cracked and fell off leaving JFK crashing.

And this is somehow different than the well documented 737 rudder problems? Could you also comment on the Hawaii convertible 73? All fleet types have their issues, get it? That's why we have a maintenance department.

In your above "example," the American F/O overcontrolled the rudder going through wake turbulence. Not a good idea, and the prevention thereof is now mandatory training on all fleet types. I'll have the training department give you a call so you can provide your usual expert opinion. :eek:

Could you please go into greater detail, and perhaps brief us on the relative merits of the lav dump technology of Boeing vs. Airbus?

A lav dumper with a computer is a beautiful thing. I'm glad we have found yet another subject you are the the ultimate expert on. :lol:

Stock Clerk, get your facts straight.

Since May 1998, it is proven that the Flight Data Recorder was switched after the accident. The Lausanne Institute of Police Forensic Evidence and Criminology (IPSC) comes to the conclusion that the recorder presented to the Court is NOT the one taken from the aircraft after the accident.

Captain Asseline flew the aircraft manually. He had been instructed by Air France to overfly the airfield at 100 ft above ground. When he increased throttle to level off at 100 ft, the engines did not respond. So after some seconds he got worried and thought there was something like a short-circuit in the completely computerized throttle control. So he pulled the throttle back all the way and forth again. By that time the aircraft had touched the trees.

After the accident, Captain Asseline was very astonished when he saw on an amateur video tape that the gear was only 30 ft above ground when the aircraft was passing over the runway. He affirms the altimeter of the Airbus A320 indicated 100 ft.

There was fraud involved in his conviction.

Off the subject a bit, but the poster who started this thread (internationalshannon) is over on the SWA board "Begging" them to come to CLT. We need more employees like you around. If you want to work for SWA so much...move up to RDU and get on with it.

Not so much begging as strongly suggesting. You missed to point out that i also thought it might give US a reality check. Who wouldnt want to join an airline with such a high amount of employee satisfaction.
Morale here is horrible and i dont want to move to rdu. You missed the point in the lighthearted message.

Focus on the topic at hand and if you have something to say re my wn posting, then address it there.

Anyone who wouldnt jump ship and try to go to wn if this airline contiues to be the ghetto express would be crazy not to at least consider it if they came in. The object is to not work here 8 more years ánd be as bitter and unsatisfied as the lot of you seem.
I want US to succeed but the changes required seem a long way off.
Happy holidays to all.

You know, we had a little issue in CLT on Friday night with the flight to FRA which was MTC related. Not sure of the tail number, but the plane returned to the gate because the cabin lights were not working properly. Initially, it appeared to be a simple fix, but MTC eventually decided to pull the passengers and take the plane for a joyride around the field to see if they could replicate the problem with the engines running. About 90 minutes later, MTC brought the plane back to the gate and declared the problem corrected; however, on taxi out, the Captain called maintenance dispatch to report the same problem occurring again. Fortunately for the passengers, dispatch was able to convince the crew that the problem was not significant, and the flight departed several hours late.

Hey Guys, You're missig the key word here airBUS.. It's not a maintence problem, i'ts a bus problem. New junk old junk just junk!

Tell that to the families of the passengers that perished on USAir 427, a Boeing 737-300 with a flawed rudder actuator. Boeing tried to blame it on the crew, but a persistent ALPA investigation team proved the Parker-Hannifin rudder actuator the culprit.

Stick to stocking parts, since you don't fly 'em.

Latest posts