What will happen in Pit. this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpsolo

Aug 11, 2004
For just about the last ten years there has been layoffs on pit ramp every year. Just wondering if anybody has heard anything about it for this year (2012). Seams like we are always the last to know.

For just about the last ten years there has been layoffs on pit ramp every year. Just wondering if anybody has heard anything about it for this year (2012). Seams like we are always the last to know.

I am thinking nothing will be happing in Pit this year... Sorry to say... ???

The only hope was the Stealers... but that did not pan out either...

I think you need to read your CBA and figure what's the minimum number of mainline flights required in PIT to keep the ramp in-house, and make some estimates as to the average number of weekly mainline flights for the past several months. Keep in mind that nothing on the east coast hubs or focus cities require anything more than RJs and PHX only has 2 daily flights, so that's only 14 weekly mainline flights which are "guaranteed" (and I use that word very loosely). I have little doubt that the Tempe Boys would love to figure a way to reduce mainline flying into PIT, and eliminate the last of the 30+ year FSAs, and replace them with cheaper contractors.

My feeling is that large cities on the west coasts, especially those that feed into STAR as with LAX and SFO, are not as likely to see major reductions in mainline flying by connecting through PHX, and RJs don't have the range. However, that means smaller cities which don't serve STAR partners are more likely to see reductions in mainline flying, as PHX could just run RJs instead. Much as RDU does not have non-stop flights to PHX anymore, as they could be connect passengers through either CLT, PHL or DCA instead (and already a fair number of RJs are being used.)

Personally, I don't think any station is safe outside of the major hubs, and maybe a few very large cities with feed into STAR partners.

So Calculates Jester.

Reactions: 1 person
10 layoffs in 10 years. Not true. We have had 4 reductions. Right now we have 15 daily flights. 2 PHX 8 CLT and 5 PHL. The PHX and CLT flights are packed everyday. The PHL has not done as well in the past but recently with Southwest eliminating PIT PHL service we are seeing some nice numbers on our PHL flights.

10 layoffs in 10 years. Not true. We have had 4 reductions. Right now we have 15 daily flights. 2 PHX 8 CLT and 5 PHL. The PHX and CLT flights are packed everyday. The PHL has not done as well in the past but recently with Southwest eliminating PIT PHL service we are seeing some nice numbers on our PHL flights.
Your dreaming about the four reductions in the last ten yesrs totobird. Ten years ago there were 1500 agents on the ramp today, what about forty full timers left. And those pit phl flights those will be the small jets worked by jet steream.

The lax and fla flights were packed every day also but didn't stop parker from cutting them. ( TRY TO RELATE )

In the first bankruptcy, they cancelled all the leases, remember? It was done at the last minute. So I guess they both killed off PIT.

Your dreaming about the four reductions in the last ten yesrs totobird. Ten years ago there were 1500 agents on the ramp today, what about forty full timers left. And those pit phl flights those will be the small jets worked by jet steream.

Why is he dreaming? Just because it involved 1500 agents doesn't mean it had to be spread out. LAS has had 4 (5?) layoffs in the last several years. Two of those reduced our staffing by half each time, the others were much smaller. It could have been four in PIT without a problem. In fact, I seem to recall the first layoff being monumental in PIT.

Why is he dreaming? Just because it involved 1500 agents doesn't mean it had to be spread out. LAS has had 4 (5?) layoffs in the last several years. Two of those reduced our staffing by half each time, the others were much smaller. It could have been four in PIT without a problem. In fact, I seem to recall the first layoff being monumental in PIT.
He is dreaming because I was there for all of the layoffs unlike YOU!

He is dreaming because I was there for all of the layoffs unlike YOU!

No reason to get snippy with me. I'm stating facts. While I never said you were right or wrong, I've done some research. Using the dates furloughs were ANNOUNCED I've found furloughs in PIT for every year since 2001 EXCEPT 2006 and 2010. Not quite every year, but close. In a few cases (maybe three at most) it looked like it might only be pilots and flight attendants based in PIT. Jobs are jobs, but with pilots and FAs it's slightly different because it's quite a bit easier to commute. I did NOT research to see if the pilot and FA jobs were eliminated or relocated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts