What’s ACAs True Motivation & How Will it Effect US?

Chip opined:

I saw all of the articles you referenced, however, could these be additional orders? If not than UA could have a huge problem on its hands at IAD and its ability to emerge, unless it eliminates the hub, which the creditor's committee previously requested.

DCAflyer responds: Chip, it seems a bit premature for other regionals to go out buying SJ's until they have a firm commitment from UAL, doesn't it? Regardless, i think UAL already DOES have a huge problem at IAD inasmuch as ACA owns the gate leases. Is this typical procedure for the regionals to own the slots? If so, it doesn't seem like a very bright move since the regionals would have way too much leverage over the mainline carriers. I don't have a lot of confidence that ACA will make it as a LCC, but if they return the slots and WMAA recyles them and leases them to other LCCs, it could be very problematic for U's Washington presence.

USAirways85 asked:

could this some how increase UA's presence in PHL as well as Star's presence at the airport. With UA going to lose all of its regional feed at IAD it will take a lot of effort to find other carriers to fly those routes and it won't all come over night.

DCAflyer responds:

This is an interesting thought to have UAL pull its IAD hub and have STAR feed operate through PHL. I think I would rather see this feed go through PIT, however, making it a STAR feed-point to both U and UAL since the airport infrastructure is underutilized while PHL has capacity and runway issues. I don't think PIT works as a U-only hub anymore, but to make it a STAR Gateway facility would be awesome and I don't think major retrofitting of the facility would be required. Chip, do you know if Dave and Glenn have given any thought to a scenario such as this?

DCAflyer

If anyone believes ACA & US will strike a "deal", do you really think this could happen given that UA was trying to negotiate their current contract down to the level of Mesa costs with ACA and was unable to accomplish. Do you really think US would pay ACA anymore than currently being payed Mesa and do you really think ACA would buy into jets for jobs.

Good for ACA! United built them up and made them strong enough to become what will be an independent successful airline, that will quite likely be the final nail in the United Coffin.

Kudos to US Airways and it's pilots for doing the same for Mesa and perhaps Chautauqua. Just think how much the US Airways Pilots Pensions will be worth when Mesa announces it's break, having been built up and made strong by US Airways. The loss of revenue and immediate competition will finally kill off the industry deadweight that is US Airways.

It need not be this way.

Can we stop the outsourcing to contract carriers now?

The company and the pilots are only making the enemy stronger until one day they will eat whatever remains of US Airways.

Good point. It has been showing up in union negotiations for years. As the young mature, they want to eat the elders. Dang you Dr. Spock.

Latest posts