What's Arpey's Next Move?

Winglet

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Given the huge loss in 2004 and the projection of more losses in 2005 due to ongoing depressed revenues and continued very high oil prices, what's Arpey going to do with American Airlines?

1. Shift the burden of fuel costs to employees with another round of wage and productivity take-backs? Furlough more employees and increase hours on the rest?
2. Sell Eagle?
3. Shrink the airline?
4. Declare BK, and find a company judge like US Airways has? Shift pension obligations to the PBGC like US Airways? Outsource ramp, cleaners, and heavy checks? Outsource Res?

Given the sad condition that the company is in, what do you think AMR's management's tactics and strategy is going to be in 2005?

boeing787 said:
Chapter 11 just like UAL and U
[post="240622"][/post]​

He will not have to take the C11 route because AA's Unions are more than willing to give him the concessions that he wants.As stated in another posting the unions[TWU for sure]are interested in self-preservation and not the QUALITY of the compensation for their members.
The membership does not have the backbone to stand up and fight for the remaining pay and benefits.

speaking of TWU, a mechanic for AA at my crashpad in Bos complained that TWA mechanics got their seniority and bumped AA mechanics out the door onto the street. Why isn't there a massive lawsuit going on? How can you take this?
He blames TWU. How many times can a guy relocate around the system before he realizes that working at GM pays more money! I should know cos the last time I took my old Buick into the repair shop, they charged me a bundle!

Winglet said:
Given the huge loss in 2004 and the projection of more losses in 2005 due to ongoing depressed revenues and continued very high oil prices, what's Arpey going to do with American Airlines?

1. Shift the burden of fuel costs to employees with another round of wage and productivity take-backs? Furlough more employees and increase hours on the rest?
2. Sell Eagle?
3. Shrink the airline?
4. Declare BK, and find a company judge like US Airways has? Shift pension obligations to the PBGC like US Airways? Outsource ramp, cleaners, and heavy checks? Outsource Res?

Given the sad condition that the company is in, what do you think AMR's management's tactics and strategy is going to be in 2005?
[post="240618"][/post]​

1. Big (as opposed to huge) expansion of Eagle for domestic flying, with 100 seats going to them (Saves the A Plan).
2. Big reduction in MD-80/737 domestic flying.
3. Small expansion of International.
4. Mainline reduced to the 5000-6000 pilot range, maybe even smaller.

His next move will be to continue to blame labor for every problem this poorly run airline has = so, cut 3,200 jobs, problem solved!

Way to go Jerry!!!
+++++

AMR CEO Blames Fuel Cost For Loss

By Elizabeth Souder, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)
--AMR Corp. (AMR) Chief Executive Gerard Arpey blamed high fuel prices for the airline's fourth-quarter loss, and said he doesn't expect things to get better anytime soon.

In a conference call Wednesday, the head of the world's largest airline, American Airlines, said the fact that competitors continue to add capacity and cut fares also contributed to AMR's problems.

"High oil prices and lower yields were the major contributors," Arpey said. " Unfortunately, barring a change in at least one of these factors, our outlook for 2005 doesn't look any brighter."

AMR's loss for the fourth quarter widened to $387 million from $111 million last year. The Fort Worth, Texas, airline's fuel costs rose by $477 million.

Further, Arpey said, AMR's new fare structure will dilute revenue, at least temporarily. When rival airline Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) simplified its fare structure earlier this month, cutting some of its highest fares, American Airlines matched.

"There's no denying that the new fare structure will cause revenue dilution," Arpey said, but added the lower fares should stimulate more business travel, which could offset the revenue loss. Also, he said, the lower fares could attract customers who had been flying low-cost carriers because the fares were lower.

Arpey said American officials are talking to the airline's corporate customers about renegotiating their discounts, in light of the lower fares.

To counter the revenue and fuel cost problems, Arpey said he will continue to drive costs down. In the fourth quarter, unit costs, excluding fuel and special items, dropped 3.8% compared with last year.

In 2005, AMR executives expect unit costs for American Airlines, excluding fuel, to decline another 3%. As part of the planned cost-cuts, the airline will cut 3,200 jobs.

Airline executives plan to add 2.7% more capacity this year, beefing up international capacity 11% and cutting domestic capacity 1%.

"We have been drawing down domestic capacity and trying to raise prices. Unfortunately, many of our competitors are adding capacity, and one in particular lowered prices," he said. "It is perplexing to us that the solution to this environment would be more capacity and lower pricing."

Arpey said he's looking for ways to boost revenue by unbundling some of the airline's services. Already American officials have unbundled food and telephone reservations services, now charging passengers for those services on some flights.

Further, Arpey said he aims to boost capacity in place where American is strong, such as Dallas/Fort Worth airport, where he will increase the number of daily large-jet departures to 540 by the summer from the current 502.

The decision was made, in part, due to Delta cutting back service in DFW, Arpey said. Now, DFW airport officials are offering financial incentives to lure a new hub tenant to the airport, situated between Dallas and Fort Worth.

Arpey said the incentives, and the possibility of facing fresh competition on his home turf, don't delight him.

"We didn't high-five 'em," Arpey said. "I would be disingenuous if I told you I would welcome more competition in this industry. More capacity, more competition, is harmful."

Airlines have until Friday to respond to the airport's incentive offer.

One airline that has turned the offer down flat is Southwest Airlines Co. ( LUV), which operates out of Dallas' Love Field, instead of DFW. Flights out of Love Field are restricted to short-haul markets - only states contiguous to Texas and some Gulf Coast states.

Southwest Chief Executive Gary Kelly said in a separate conference call Wednesday he's stumping for the repeal of the Wright Amendment, the legislation covering the restrictions at Love Field. Kelly said Southwest officials are going door-to-door on Capital Hill to drum up support.

AMR's Arpey said he opposes the repeal of the amendment, and AMR is also active in Washington on the issue. He said AMR made decisions in the 1990s to contribute to expanding the airport, under the assumption that Love Field was restricted to short-haul flights.

Though Southwest's Kelly argues the amendment restricts competition, AMR's Arpey said there's plenty of competition in the Dallas/Fort Worth market.

"There's nothing that prevents Southwest or any other airline from serving any city they want to from DFW. They just have to use the same airport that everybody agreed to use 30 years ago when we built DFW," Arpey said. "Southwest can fly from DFW to anywhere American can. They've just got to follow the same rules as we do."

Wing - two things ...

1. If you read the article, Arpey doesn't blame labor, he blames fuel. It still sucks to be losing money regardless of the reason, no doubt, but in 2004 fuel is pretty legit. Take AMR's 2004 results and plug in the 2003 fuel price, and AMR turned a profit.

2. As for the 3200 job cuts, with a company that is about 100% leveraged and that just lost $700+ million, what would you recommend that he do? Add 3200 jobs?

LaBradford22 said:
Wing - two things ...

1. If you read the article, Arpey doesn't blame labor, he blames fuel. It still sucks to be losing money regardless of the reason, no doubt, but in 2004 fuel is pretty legit. Take AMR's 2004 results and plug in the 2003 fuel price, and AMR turned a profit.

2. As for the 3200 job cuts, with a company that is about 100% leveraged and that just lost $700+ million, what would you recommend that he do? Add 3200 jobs?
[post="240692"][/post]​

No, Arpey is not blaming labor, you're right! But since he CAN'T control the price of fuel, the only thing he CAN control is labor costs. ANd thanks to the weak TWU, he knows he can count on them to deliver us!

I dont see much of a chance of getting anything from the APFA with out giving something in return. The sell out president is working a beverage cart. New leadership is prepared for all challenges that lay ahead good and bad.

FA Mikey said:
I dont see much of a chance of getting anything from the APFA with out giving something in return. The sell out president is working a beverage cart. New leadership is prepared for all challenges that lay ahead good and bad.
[post="240718"][/post]​
Sell out President are you refering to your new APFA president

operaations said:
Sell out President are you refering to your new APFA president
[post="240905"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Being a bit DISINGENUOUS, are we operations" ????

Mikey's talking about that "POS" John Ward !

I knew it, Mikey knew it, and you DEFINITELY knew it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice try !

NH/BB's

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Being a bit DISINGENUOUS, are we operations" ????

Mikey's talking about that "POS" John Ward !

I knew it, Mikey knew it, and you DEFINITELY knew it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice try !

NH/BB's
[post="240942"][/post]​
Do not read into my question. I was asking a simple question i will not assume anything. No reason for you to be an a==

operaations said:
Do not read into my question. I was asking a simple question i will not assume anything. No reason for you to be an a==
[post="240957"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Operations,
Mabey we could "take a poll" to see if you WERE(hypothetically) being DISENGENUOUS?

My ol' Granny had a very true saying"

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, (guess what) IT's A DUCK" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, don't sweat it "ops", I'm sure you've been called WORSE things than DISENGENUOUS. :shock:

NH/BB's

czerny said:
speaking of TWU, a mechanic for AA at my crashpad in Bos complained that TWA mechanics got their seniority and bumped AA mechanics out the door onto the street. Why isn't there a massive lawsuit going on? How can you take this?
He blames TWU. How many times can a guy relocate around the system before he realizes that working at GM pays more money! I should know cos the last time I took my old Buick into the repair shop, they charged me a bundle!
[post="240669"][/post]​
ok, twa mechanics did not get there seniority. the only two places that we got our full seniority is stl and mci. and as far as i know the only aa people that got bumped to the street had april of 2001 seniority. which means they were hired after aa bought twa. and you all dont have to worry about the 3200 layoffs, thats if you are a native aa employee, thats about the number of twa people that are still with the company.