What's Going On ?

hack73

Advanced
Jan 17, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Being a US Airways employee for over 20 years,I cannot believe what's going on.In PIT we treat the AWA flights with the upmost priority, there are 6 ramp and 3 gate agents per flight.On our own flights,there are 3 ramp agents, and if you are lucky 2 gate agents.Everything revolves around AWA.
When you go to purchase a ticket from the US Airways website,it seems that they are showing a booking preference to AWA.
I personally think that the senior US Airways employees are going to get the shaft just like the TWA employees did when AMR bought them.When layoffs start , who do you think is going to go,a topped off US employee , or a 2 year AWA employee.They will run the 2 airlines seperate and make US look bad on purpose just to justify the parking of US aircraft and the reduction of employees.
It is put up or shut time.PHL is short so much ground equipment that this year's holiday season could possibly be worse than last years.Do you think that PHX or LAS will be short equipment, or staff.It looks like Parker is looking out for his AWA people and not the best interests of ALL of the employees of the so-called NEW US AIRWAYS!

Well, I'm experiencing just the opposite. Our department is being rearranged to emulate how US East is arranged. Go figure. I'm rolling and adapting as neccessary.

hack73 you are correct. Look at what is going on at the top. At last count I saw 54 vice-presidents, 40 from AWA. Seniority and experience mean little on that level and it is filtering down. This doesn't discount performance, but it appears AWA management is just as capable at losing money as U's management was.

I have yet to hear of one AWA manager losing a job in this merger (excepting a VP in ops with health problems). Doug Parker was going to get the 'right' people on the bus, but most of the seats were already taken.

The only thing left of US Airways will be the name.

hack73 you are correct. Look at what is going on at the top. At last count I saw 54 vice-presidents, 40 from AWA. Seniority and experience mean little on that level and it is filtering down. This doesn't discount performance, but it appears AWA management is just as capable at losing money as U's management was.

I have yet to hear of one AWA manager losing a job in this merger (excepting a VP in ops with health problems). Doug Parker was going to get the 'right' people on the bus, but most of the seats were already taken.

Well your wrong on a few account in Tech OPS it is almost all "Old US" Execs and remember your execs didn't do a great job and you all hated them anyway. I think you and HACK73 need to listen to the state of the airline by DP. But ultimately this was a takeover of US by AWA and Doug and the AWA folks are trying to be nice and calling this a merger. But if I here one more Eastie say "this is how we do it." I am gonna scream. At the very least we have an equal value in our past and expeirence and in our processess and we better find common ground and decide what works best not this "my way or the highway" which seems to be very prevelent on the Eastside. And come Jan 1 I for one will no longer make East or West destinctions we are one.

"At the very least we have an equal value in our past and experience and in our processess and we better find common ground and decide what works best not this "my way or the highway" which seems to be very prevelent on the Eastside."

It's not an east thing- It's a 'Burg thing... :rolleyes:

Well your wrong on a few account in Tech OPS it is almost all "Old US" Execs and remember your execs didn't do a great job and you all hated them anyway. I think you and HACK73 need to listen to the state of the airline by DP. But ultimately this was a takeover of US by AWA and Doug and the AWA folks are trying to be nice and calling this a merger. But if I here one more Eastie say "this is how we do it." I am gonna scream. At the very least we have an equal value in our past and expeirence and in our processess and we better find common ground and decide what works best not this "my way or the highway" which seems to be very prevelent on the Eastside. And come Jan 1 I for one will no longer make East or West destinctions we are one.
AMEN!!! And it is LAUGHABLE to believe that PHX and LAS are so well staffed. Granted, our equipment out here is decent, butt hat's because 2 years or so ago they used some of that gov't loan and bought some. Otherwise- our stuff would just as BAD.
As for staffing, lordy I WISH we had 3 agents per flight. Heck, who am I kidding, I would be happy with TWO per flight. Our ramp agents, they're WAY worse off than we are. I often see our load masters running two flights at once. Onload and offloading planes with the load master and one assist. It's not so pretty over here as you would believe.
Now, it's time to get over the East vs West thing...we need to start acting as ONE voice and ONE airline or we'll sink faster than the Titanic.

Being a US Airways employee for over 20 years,I cannot believe what's going on.In PIT we treat the AWA flights with the upmost priority, there are 6 ramp and 3 gate agents per flight.On our own flights,there are 3 ramp agents, and if you are lucky 2 gate agents.Everything revolves around AWA.

Must be a PIT thing cause it isnt happening that way systemwide. We have a schedule that has 2, count them 2 agents to work HP counter and gate on Wed night and Sat am. No extra staffing here. We have a total of 10 agents (and no sups) qualified and trained to work HP. Dont get me wrong though, we're just as short on the US side. We have 1 FT and 13 part time openings to be filled and the holiday season is just over 2 weeks away. We will be very short staffed for Tgiving and if they dont get a move on the Xmas and New Years holidays will be just as bad. I just pray for good weather and customers patience.

"At the very least we have an equal value in our past and experience and in our processess and we better find common ground and decide what works best not this "my way or the highway" which seems to be very prevelent on the Eastside."

It's not an east thing- It's a 'Burg thing... :rolleyes:

What's a Piedmont? I hate that for you.

Where I work they cut the part timers hours some to 4.5,and said"AWA is calling the shots now".Our local mangement team said we were over our part time hours,if,we were why didn't they cut the ramp hours,the t/c hours,and international hours.Well the holidays will soon be on us,when you got one agent working the flt they can expect delays.I don't think AWA cut the hours,it is just our sorry mangement trying to make a name for themselves.

Where I work they cut the part timers hours some to 4.5,and said"AWA is calling the shots now".Our local mangement team said we were over our part time hours,if,we were why didn't they cut the ramp hours,the t/c hours,and international hours.Well the holidays will soon be on us,when you got one agent working the flt they can expect delays.I don't think AWA cut the hours,it is just our sorry mangement trying to make a name for themselves.

Which brings up the question, why did they bother changing the contract to allow part timers to work 6 1/2 hour shifts and then only schedule them for 4 1/2 hour shifts while working 13 people short and hiring off the street? I know they want low $ newhires, but.... how much is the company going to be paying them for their benefits vs paying someone already here another 2 hours a day with no added expense to the benefits (isnt that what the company said cost them so much per agent while they were in negotiations?) I just dont get the logic in that one.
Our local management also keeps adding "we're 13 people short" when questioning why we dont have anyone scheduled to work certain shifts, yet cant find the money in the budget for temp FT until the positions are filled or at least overtime so there is someone scheduled to work the counter at night or more than 1 AGENT at the counter to open. Cant wait to see what happens in 2 weeks when everything is full.

Kinda what happens when a Airline buys a Bankrupt Airline.. Get ride of the people that made it bankrupt!

AMEN!!! And it is LAUGHABLE to believe that PHX and LAS are so well staffed. Granted, our equipment out here is decent, butt hat's because 2 years or so ago they used some of that gov't loan and bought some. Otherwise- our stuff would just as BAD.
As for staffing, lordy I WISH we had 3 agents per flight. Heck, who am I kidding, I would be happy with TWO per flight. Our ramp agents, they're WAY worse off than we are. I often see our load masters running two flights at once. Onload and offloading planes with the load master and one assist. It's not so pretty over here as you would believe.
Now, it's time to get over the East vs West thing...we need to start acting as ONE voice and ONE airline or we'll sink faster than the Titanic.

Less than 2 years ago, there were fist fights on the ramp over access to push tugs and rampers stealing equipment off of gates. There are only 2 rampers and a team lead per flight. At times, there is only one ramper. They call it "increasing productivity". Yeah. We are so well staffed.