Whats wrong with AAs 767 fleet?

kiowa

Advanced
Aug 27, 2002
The disaster in LAX a couple of weeks ago and now this??? I don't fly SWA or NWAC anymore. Do I have to add AAs 767s to the "do not fly list"?

(KSDK) - It's the busy summer travel season and a lot of families have vacations planned. But before you fly, you should see the hidden camera video obtained by NewsChannel 5's I-Team.

The video was shot by a long-time employee at the overhaul base at Kansas City International Airport. The whistleblower did not want to be identified but did want to expose a hidden secret onboard a Boeing 767 passenger plane.

The whistle blower said, "We had to take the chairs off and that's when everybody saw mice running around on the floor and one ran down one of the mechanic's arm."

The plane arrived in Missouri April 30.

The whistleblower explained, "There's feces all along this edge right here. It's throughout the whole aircraft."

The whistle blower said workers found nests in air vents and dead mice in emergency oxygen masks. When mice would get hungry, they ate insulation and chewed through wires.

"If they shorted themselves and caused a fire, it would go through that cabin so fast, we could have lost some lives," said the whistleblower.

Several calls were made to the Federal Aviation Administration hotline asking for an investigation. Using the Freedom of Information Act, the I-Team obtained the FAA brief.

On May 5, 2006, a caller reported a mouse infestation. The complaint went on to say that mice chewed through two wires. The caller alleged American Airlines was doing nothing about eradicating the mice.

On May 10, 2006, a caller reported that mice were building nests near the oxygen generators.

The whistleblower said, "Anywhere from 900 to 1,000 (mice) could be on this aircraft."

That's the estimate exterminators gave workers but American Airlines disputes that number. In a written statement the airline admits to finding only 17 live mice.

Mel Burkhardt has been an aviation expert for more than 30 years. He's a retired pilot and current crash scene investigator.

He said mice on airplanes "involves a very severe hazard to the safety of the airplane and the people on board."

We showed Burkardt the hidden camera video.

"The potential for the catastrophic mishap is there and if you have one mouse, you have two. (If) you have two, you have a family," he said.

Burkardt said the plane should have been grounded but according to maintenance logs obtained by the I-Team that didn't happen.

On April 20th the plane was at JFK where mechanics noted a "mouse observed in the galley." The log goes on to indicate that maintenance was deferred.

The decision was made to put the plane back into service, and fly passengers across the country to Los Angeles International Airport.

That is when the whistleblower says there was another incident on April 23.

The plane went back in the air over and over until it was flown into Kansas City eleven days later.

"When you fly 100 hours and (do) not take care of the problem, you are putting the people traveling in danger," said the whistleblower.

The Federal Aviation Administration says American Airlines did nothing wrong because airlines do not have to report rodent infestations unless the rodents affect the mechanics.

American Airlines would not let us see the repairs inside the plane and would not talk to us on camera. But in a statement the company said N320 was always safe to fly and no lives were put at risk.

Burkhardt doubts this is the only plane with a rodent problem. But he also said exposing the issue is good for the airlines and for passengers.

"I guarantee now that it is known, they'll address it and within a very short period of time I think this issue will disappear," he said.

According to the FAA all insulation and oxygen masks on N320 have been replaced. The cargo bins have been removed and replaced and the wiring has been inspected.

Burkhardt said if you are flying on American Airlines N320 feel good about it. He said it's probably now the cleanest, safest airplane in the fleet.

American Airlines said N320 was an anomaly and while an occasional mouse has boarded, infestations simply don't happen.

Leisa partnered with Nichole Teich of KSHB NBC Action News in Kansas City for this report.

The disaster in LAX a couple of weeks ago and now this??? I don't fly SWA or NWAC anymore. Do I have to add AAs 767s to the "do not fly list"?

Are You kidding me? This is sensational journalism at its best. The press is stabbing your primal fears to get you to read their news. AA is safe to fly...trust me.

First of all rodent, bugs and other critters have been making their way on to aircraft since the Wright brothers. It is very common. Every night at our stations there are traps set to catch the little boogers. There are written procedures on how to deal with them. This is not a true safety issue like carrying large dangerous animals like pit bulls. Twice in the past few years there has been some serious damage done to the aircraft while in flight by these animals. Rodents and bugs are just a nuisance just like in our home. As far as the health issue they don't get into the food because it's loaded just before flight. There's too many people around at that time however after the last flight of the day sometimes the leftovers are left on the plane for a few hours and that's when we see them. And what we do about the chewed up critical wiring? We repair it. All aircraft have multiple redundancy designed into critical systems. Sometimes wires just break because of normal vibration and yes we fix those too. And what is the FAA going to do about this? The same thing they've done for years. Make sure the aircraft are designed to fly with hungry critters chewing on everything.........!

(KSDK) - It's the busy summer travel season and a lot of families have vacations planned. But before you fly, you should see the hidden camera video obtained by NewsChannel 5's I-Team.

The video was shot by a long-time employee at the overhaul base at Kansas City International Airport. The whistleblower did not want to be identified but did want to expose a hidden secret onboard a Boeing 767 passenger plane.

The whistle blower said, "We had to take the chairs off and that's when everybody saw mice running around on the floor and one ran down one of the mechanic's arm."

The whistleblower explained, "There's feces all along this edge right here. It's throughout the whole aircraft."

The whistle blower said workers found nests in air vents and dead mice in emergency oxygen masks. When mice would get hungry, they ate insulation and chewed through wires.

"If they shorted themselves and caused a fire, it would go through that cabin so fast, we could have lost some lives," said the whistleblower.

Several calls were made to the Federal Aviation Administration hotline asking for an investigation. Using the Freedom of Information Act, the I-Team obtained the FAA brief.

On May 5, 2006, a caller reported a mouse infestation. The complaint went on to say that mice chewed through two wires. The caller alleged American Airlines was doing nothing about eradicating the mice.

On May 10, 2006, a caller reported that mice were building nests near the oxygen generators.

The whistleblower said, "Anywhere from 900 to 1,000 (mice) could be on this aircraft."

That's the estimate exterminators gave workers but American Airlines disputes that number. In a written statement the airline admits to finding only 17 live mice.

Mel Burkhardt has been an aviation expert for more than 30 years. He's a retired pilot and current crash scene investigator.

He said mice on airplanes "involves a very severe hazard to the safety of the airplane and the people on board."

"The potential for the catastrophic mishap is there and if you have one mouse, you have two. (If) you have two, you have a family," he said.

Burkardt said the plane should have been grounded but according to maintenance logs obtained by the I-Team that didn't happen.

On April 20th the plane was at JFK where mechanics noted a "mouse observed in the galley." The log goes on to indicate that maintenance was deferred.

The decision was made to put the plane back into service, and fly passengers across the country to Los Angeles International Airport.

The plane went back in the air over and over until it was flown into Kansas City eleven days later.

"When you fly 100 hours and (do) not take care of the problem, you are putting the people traveling in danger," said the whistleblower.

The Federal Aviation Administration says American Airlines did nothing wrong because airlines do not have to report rodent infestations unless the rodents affect the mechanics.

American Airlines would not let us see the repairs inside the plane and would not talk to us on camera. But in a statement the company said N320 was always safe to fly and no lives were put at risk.

Burkhardt doubts this is the only plane with a rodent problem. But he also said exposing the issue is good for the airlines and for passengers.

"I guarantee now that it is known, they'll address it and within a very short period of time I think this issue will disappear," he said.

According to the FAA all insulation and oxygen masks on N320 have been replaced. The cargo bins have been removed and replaced and the wiring has been inspected.

Burkhardt said if you are flying on American Airlines N320 feel good about it. He said it's probably now the cleanest, safest airplane in the fleet.

American Airlines said N320 was an anomaly and while an occasional mouse has boarded, infestations simply don't happen.

Leisa partnered with Nichole Teich of KSHB NBC Action News in Kansas City for this report.
<_< kiowa---- You can rest assured that aircraft is now totally mouse free!!! We striped and replaced all insulation, seats, inspected and repaired all wiring, cleaned, reinspected, tested, shined, and did a normal "C" check! I wouldn't hesitate to put my family on board that airplane at any time! So let this one go! It's a case of sensationaliztion on the part of the media! Like I said they must be having a slow news day!

Uh, it wouldn't have been sensationalized if some former TWA mechanic hadn't snuck video footage out of the base and made a far bigger deal out of this than it really was...

But 900-1000 mice? Please... It would have looked like the hamster escape sequence in "The Nutty Professor" on takeoff and landing...

Yawn???? are you for real???

Uh, it wouldn't have been sensationalized if some former TWA mechanic hadn't snuck video footage out of the base and made a far bigger deal out of this than it really was...

But 900-1000 mice? Please... It would have looked like the hamster escape sequence in "The Nutty Professor" on takeoff and landing...
<_< ------ FM! You are a pill! How do you know the mechanic that ratted on aa was exTWA? We do have a few nAAtives working here! A vary few! But who to say they weren't your culprits? Why even bring up the point? Do we have a little case of discrimination here? I thought aa frowned on such things? :shock:

<_< ---- So the FAA says:" The Cargo bins have been removed and replaced"! Now how in the hell do you do that people???? :p :p :p Another case of someone that don't know a damn thing about aircraft in a position where he damn well should!!!! :shock:

<_< ------ FM! You are a pill! How do you know the mechanic that ratted on aa was exTWA? We do have a few nAAtives working here! A vary few! But who to say they weren't your culprits? Why even bring up the point? Do we have a little case of discrimination here? I thought aa frowned on such things? :shock:
<_< ---- So the FAA says:" The Cargo bins have been removed and replaced"! Now how in the hell do you do that people???? :p :p :p Another case of someone that don't know a damn thing about aircraft in a position where he damn well should!!!! :shock:

MCI transplant,

We first heard of this from you, on this forum, and you made references to AA being "ratted" out, and even each passenger "having their own mouse".

You are either real close to the situation perosnally or just a fool posting information that makes it appear that way.

Either way, it does have a look in print and video to have MCI Mechanic written all over it.

MCI transplant,

We first heard of this from you, on this forum, and you made references to AA being "ratted" out, and even each passenger "having their own mouse".

You are either real close to the situation perosnally or just a fool posting information that makes it appear that way.

Either way, it does have a look in print and video to have MCI Mechanic written all over it.
<_< ---- TWU! What exactly are you trying to say? I reported it "after" the fact! The aircraft was cleaned up! But never should have gotten to the point it had to begin with! Was I close to the aircraft? You bet! I was one of them that had to clean up aa's mess! A job it seems we're doing more and more often!!!! ;)

<_< ---- TWU! What exactly are you trying to say? I reported it "after" the fact! The aircraft was cleaned up! But never should have gotten to the point it had to begin with! Was I close to the aircraft? You bet! I was one of them that had to clean up aa's mess! A job it seems we're doing more and more often!!!! ;)

I am simply saying that if you knew this company as well as I do, you would be very careful sharing information like that. I know of mechanics subjected to lengthy legal depositions over internet postings and e-mails that AA didn't like.

But hey, go ahead and boast of your knowledge and worth, who am I to pump industrial union type of fear up your arse. ;)

I am simply saying that if you knew this company as well as I do, you would be very careful sharing information like that. I know of mechanics subjected to lengthy legal depositions over internet postings and e-mails that AA didn't like.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For the TWU art with me, and protecteth me;