What's Your Self Worth?

Jul 14, 2004
I here quite a bit from all work groups. Everyone seems to be down in the dumps. The future of this industry seems to be getting worse. Oil has reached $64.00 a barrel. Why are all these retention bonuses to upper fat-cat management vice president's not being challenged? Sue Oliver jumped ship...we survived. Jeff Campbell jumped ship...we survived. Carty left in shame, we survived....The bottom line is this: The airline doesn't shut down when anyone goes on vacation or days off right? That leads me to believe everyone is expendable. Sure, the industry cannot survive with the absence of any one specific group. However, now that the profits are coming in, what entitles your work unit a pay increase? In order to keep the profits coming, let's start the cutting at the top. Let's cut the number of V.P.'s in half. If they don't like the fact their workload is now doubled, then quit. We can easily backfill that position with some bootlicker for half the cost.

Man of the People said:
.............. Carty left in shame,.......

Nah. That was just for show. He smiled all the way to the bank to deposit his $13.5 million. Every year he worked counted as two or three for retirement credit. And nothing has changed. SERP is still in place for the same people.

Why are all these retention bonuses to upper fat-cat management vice president's not being challenged?

I'd love to know what you're talking about. Can you post a link?

Man of the People said:
Oil has reached $64.00 a barrel.
[post="286683"][/post]​

Ding, Ding, Ding...Hello, you are blaming AA management for cutbacks. Why not turn to our wonderful commander and chief DUBAYA and ask him why oil prices are at record levels. AA cannot surive at rising Crude Oil prices such as this without cutbacks somewhere. AA employees have sacrificed alot, and may have to continue to give back. Don't blame AA management for this, they have done all they can, but fuel prices are a killer right now. Even the LCC's are suffering.

Man of the People said:
Let's cut the number of V.P.'s in half. If they don't like the fact their workload is now doubled, then quit. We can easily backfill that position with some bootlicker for half the cost.
[post="286683"][/post]​

Let's cut the number of slacker union employees who drain the company of money with fake sick time, IOD's etc.... Come on get real :down:

Man of the People said:
However, now that the profits are coming in, what entitles your work unit a pay increase? In order to keep the profits coming, let's start the cutting at the top. Let's cut the number of V.P.'s in half. If they don't like the fact their workload is now doubled, then quit. We can easily backfill that position with some bootlicker for half the cost.
[post="286683"][/post]​

Couple of things come to mind. First, how does your pay and compensation compare to all other airlines including LCC's. Give us a ranking.

Second, we might get a bootlicker for half the cost, but cleaning up the FU's might just cost millions.

for oneflyer-AMR Gives CEO Arpey New Incentive Plan
Source: The Dallas Morning News Publication Date: 07/27/05

Jul. 27--Fort Worth-based AMR Corp. reached a new long-term incentive plan with its chairman and chief executive officer and other key employees that could be worth tens of millions to each officer, according to regulatory filings.
The parent company of American Airlines Inc. granted Gerard Arpey 140,000 "performance units" as part of the plan. Those units, each representing the cash value of an average AMR share during a specific time, will vest based on Mr. Arpey remaining with the company over a period of years.
Mr. Arpey also received 58,000 shares of AMR stock on Monday in a separate filing related to the company's bonus programs. Those shares vest in 10 years under an incentive program outlined in the Securities and Exchange Commission quarterly filing Tuesday evening.

Mr. Arpey stands to get a similar number of shares under that portion of his long-term incentive plan until 2009.
AMR's board also approved terms for a long-term incentive plan that will reward Mr. Arpey and key company officers more stock units based on AMR's share performance compared with competitors.

A separate deferred incentive program granted Mr. Arpey 24,000 additional units on Monday that vest in 2008.

Mr. Arpey also received 95,000 more traditional stock options at a price of $13.67 per share, slightly above AMR's Tuesday closing price of $13.60. For those shares to have value for Mr. Arpey and other officers who received smaller numbers of stock options, AMR shares must rise in value.

According to the filings, the programs were put into place by AMR's board to keep the carrier's officers and reward them for staying. AMR has lost several top executives to other airlines and other industries in the past four years, including two chief financial officers.

Mr. Arpey since his appointment as chief executive in 2003 has refused pay raises and took a slight pay cut last year as his carrier lost money and will likely post a loss in 2005. His base pay and bonus trail those of top executives at other major airlines.

Executive pay at American remains a controversial issue because former chairman and chief executive

Donald J. Carty resigned in April 2003 when it was revealed that the company had not told labor leaders about incentive programs for executives or about a program to protect pension payments from bankruptcy while at the same time extracting $1.62 billion in annual concessions from those unions.

Imagolfer said:
Let's cut the number of slacker union employees who drain the company of money with fake sick time, IOD's etc.... Come on get real :down:
[post="286745"][/post]​

Fake sick time?

Every time I call in sick, AA makes money by paying me half pay.

Slacker union employees...Yeah, we have a $150,000 a year manager in charge of passing out customs badges and he can't even get that right. We have a $100, 000 a year manager who is in charge of lockers and radios. We are tripping over supervisors who can't make a decision on anything but it's the union employees problem. Yes the ones who constantly fix management screwups.

One Flyer even at to days very under valued price for airlines stock that’s $2,692,800.00!!!per year untill 2009. That's just in stock and performance units. 41 times what a 10 year mechanic will make per year. What did AA think would keep mechanics happy? The possibility of 50 dollars per quarter based on performance.

How about AA management that never has to use a sick day, because they get "COMP TIME"? My previous worthless supervisor was never at work, he would disappear for days.....mostly because he couldn't put the Crown Royal bottle down. He was never sick! He had 12 years of BS perfect attendance awards in his office. When he would try to document my sick time, I would ask him about it. He had nothing to say, not even a good lie. Worthless as they come. He is just on example of many I know of. :down:

Whats good for the goose......is good for the gander :p

AMFAMAN said:
Slacker union employees...Yeah, we have a $150,000 a year manager in charge of passing out customs badges and he can't even get that right.
[post="286805"][/post]​

Interesting.... and not even close to accurate. The average level 5 manager makes only slightly more than what a tech crew chief at max would make, which is approx. $60K.

Former ModerAAtor said:
Interesting.... and not even close to accurate. The average level 5 manager makes only slightly more than what a tech crew chief at max would make, which is approx. $60K.
[post="287002"][/post]​

Just an example of how scewed the the union thinking is out there.

If you want to make more money, leave and find another job.

I agree about leaving. I had the sense to leave that worthless company way back in 1998. It was thankless then. It probably is worse now. I wouldn't go back to doing that job for $100/hour for the abuse I used to get from cheap customers that bitched about uncontrollable events. :down:

Imagolfer said:
[post="286745"][/post]​
How about recouping the millions of dollars the former LAX Level 7 and Level 8 ran off with (3-12 million), never returning a dime back to the company. Oh, yes, they were fired. With that much money, who cares if you're fired. I'm sure they wallowed in pity on some caribbean island laughing their butts off.

Man of the People said:
How about recouping the millions of dollars the former LAX Level 7 and Level 8 ran off with (3-12 million), never returning a dime back to the company. Oh, yes, they were fired. With that much money, who cares if you're fired. I'm sure they wallowed in pity on some caribbean island laughing their butts off.
[post="287024"][/post]​

HEY! Knock it off! We are not here to criticize management.

Besides............ It Didn't Happen. :)