Whatsup With All The FA Postings?

EricLv2Fish

Veteran
Aug 25, 2005
Browsing thru the job postings today and there were 100s of FA positions open in Phx. Does it have to do with all the new service being added to Europe. Surprised noone has brought this up on our board yet.

Browsing thru the job postings today and there were 100s of FA positions open in Phx. Does it have to do with all the new service being added to Europe. Surprised noone has brought this up on our board yet.

No, West does not do any Europe. It is all done from the East side. AWA has been short for some time now. The East is overstaffed right now. Rumor in the mill is that they will need to hire a couple hundred back to the East after the summer. With the announcement of the new European destinations, delivery of the 190s and the resuming of the 5 seasonal Europeans, I would think there is some truth to that rumor.

Also, there is a thread that discusses furloughed flight attendants going to AWA. :)

?If an F/A goes through AWA training then gets recalled to US do they go to training again on the east side?

?If an F/A goes through AWA training then gets recalled to US do they go to training again on the east side?
I would imagine that all F/A's will have to retrain, particularly west since they don't have A321, B737-400, B767, A330 or E190 aircraft or trans-atlantic service. I also assume that the cabins will be reorganized so that all emergency equipment is in the same location and similar equipment. Cabin configuration and service too...

I have to hand it to our new management though. It seems like a slow process to us, but if you consider that the merger was announced less than a year ago, a ton of things have already been accomplished. Good job! :up:

The west FA's will have to qualify on the east equipment during a recurrent training once the east and west are operating on one certificate.

If an east furlough goes to west operations before the certificates are merged (spring 2007) they will have to go through the entire west training process. Yes, it sounds stupid but these are not company rules, they are FAA rules.

If a east furlough gets recalled to the east operations then they just go through a quick refresher course and are back on-line.

I imagine, they will have to get qualified on the new plane but other stuff would be just like recurrent. That of course, is how i understand it and it COULD be wrong.

No, West does not do any Europe. It is all done from the East side. AWA has been short for some time now. The East is overstaffed right now. Rumor in the mill is that they will need to hire a couple hundred back to the East after the summer. With the announcement of the new European destinations, delivery of the 190s and the resuming of the 5 seasonal Europeans, I would think there is some truth to that rumor.

Also, there is a thread that discusses furloughed flight attendants going to AWA. :)

This true and not true remember in the transition agreement the west side can fly a limited amount of europe flights I believe it is one a day and east can fly a limited amount of Hawaii flights which I think is also one a day

I imagine, they will have to get qualified on the new plane but other stuff would be just like recurrent. That of course, is how i understand it and it COULD be wrong.

Anyone that accepts a West position is "stuck" there for 365 days. Also, training to come back East depends on how long you have been gone from US. It is way to lengthy and confusing to tell you. Training will be different for a lot of people. :)

Anyone that accepts a West position is "stuck" there for 365 days. Also, training to come back East depends on how long you have been gone from US. It is way to lengthy and confusing to tell you. Training will be different for a lot of people. :)

Thanks for the clarification Twicebaked :D

Twicebaked,

Seems to me that the plan is to have the two sides integrated not that much over a year from now (and certainly about a year after the first East furloughees complete training at West. So it would also seem that by the time their 365 days of being stuck is over, they (and all F/A's) would have gone thru whatever training will be done in preparation for full integration.

Other than the possibility of not training certain bases on certain equip/service (will they train PHX F/A's on the A330/TA service?) it would therefore seem that those taking a job at West would be able to transfer east with no additional training after operational integration.

Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm looking at it from a pilot's perspective. If all goes according to plan, a West 737 pilot will be able to transfer to PHL 737 without any additional training once we have full integration (absent any fences, of course).

Jim

Twicebaked,

Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm looking at it from a pilot's perspective. If all goes according to plan, a West 737 pilot will be able to transfer to PHL 737 without any additional training once we have full integration (absent any fences, of course).

Jim

West flight attendants would not be trained on the A330 or TA unless they go to a base (PHL or CLT) that has it. Way too costly to train someone on something they will not use. I believe that many BOS flight attendants are no longer qualified on the 757 as they don't have it and they don't do the doors in recurrent.

Speaking of integration.......... Does anyone know where to find a West seniority list. East is on theHub, but can't seem to find a West list.

Ok, I think we're on the same page. In theory, after the 365 days are up and full integration a furloughed East F/A that takes a "new hire" job at West would be able to transfer to PHL (for example, and assuming their seniority allowed them) without having to go completely thru training again. Their training would be similiar to what a BOS or DCA F/A transferring to PHL would go thru.

Have I got it straight yet????? <_<

Jim

Have I got it straight yet????? <_<

Jim

You are correct. :)

Even if someone from DCA transfers to PHL, they have to go through one day training on the A330 and one day training for TA. If they transfer back to DCA and go back to PHL again they will have to train again if they are gone for more than 2 recurrent cycles.

So, if a VF from the old US comes back to the old US they will have to go thru 2 days to 2 weeks of Requalification training on the procedures as well as the aircraft in their current base. If a VF goes to AWA and eventually comes back to the East (when intergrated) they will only have to train on the aircraft "additional" in that base that AWA does not have (i.e. A330, B767, A321). Transition training aside that ALL will go through.

Like I said, this is very confusing and different for everyone. :)

The 365 days is so that when there is a recall to east, west doesn't have an immediate loss of 200 FAs. I believe the transition agreement says something like, if an east FA is working west (prior to final merge) west has the ability to hold the east person if the west staffing requires.

Thanks, Twice. I appreciate your your taking the time to get me enlightened. Some of these things are less complicated for us pilots (probably a good thing - don't confuse us).

Jim

They probably have to post the positions even though they have been filled already by furloughees and internal transfers that were already waiting from the last cxled class. We are far from short on the west side! We were very fat for the month of feb. You guys crack me up on how you read so much into something so little.