Sep 22, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
This is in Sundays Washington Post...

COMING AND GOING

Washington Post Sunday, April 23, 2006; Page P01
UPRIGHT AND LOCKED
When Carry-ons Don't Fit

Since foreign student Agata Cieslar was one of the last people to board the Lufthansa flight from Krakow, Poland, to Dulles airport, she found little space left in the overhead bins. In fact, the flight attendant insisted that she give up her carry-on bag.
Cieslar protested that all her valuables were inside -- her laptop with her research and term papers, her camera, her jewelry. "There's nothing to worry about," she said the attendant told her. "I'm just storing it in the back of the plane and you can get it when we stop in Munich." Cieslar reluctantly acquiesced.
On arriving in Munich, though, she learned that the bag was not on the plane : The attendant had put it outside, where it arrived too late to be checked and was put on another flight. Four days later, the bag showed up in Washington with a broken zipper and minus the laptop.
Numerous letters and calls to Lufthansa resulted eventually in an offer of 20 percent off a future flight. Dissatisfied, Cieslar contacted CoGo.
"It's one of those unfortunate cases where she exercised poor judgment ," responded spokeswoman Jennifer Urbaniak. "She could easily have taken the laptop out and put it under her seat." Passengers should be mindful, she said, that "we reserve the right to take any bag and check it ." However, she added, "We do sympathize with her, and if she sends us a receipt for the computer, we'll take it from there."
Most airlines reserve the right to check your carry-on if the overhead bins are full. And most airlines, including Lufthansa, decline liability for electronics. If they won't fit under your seat, leave them at home.

This is becomming a real problem now that we are flying at 80%.
USA language for carry-on's reads, "Carry-on baggage is limited to one piece per customer, plus a personal item such as a purse, briefcase, laptop, small backpack, camera bags, small daypacks, infant bags, diaper bag or camera case. The personal item, which is to be placed under the seat in front of you, cannot exceed total overall dimensions of 36 inches. The other item of baggage may be placed in the overhead compartment and cannot exceed the following maximum dimensions:

Valet Closet--45L x 23 1/2W x 4H

Overhead Stowage--24L x 16W x 10H (L-2" more than United)

Underseat Stowage--21L x 16W x 8H

Carry-on baggage dimensions: US Airways’ maximum linear dimensions are 51" (What the heck does that look like?)

Both items cannot exceed a total combined weight of 40 pounds. Carry-on baggage allowance may be restricted due to lack of space.

Some airports may be more restrictive due to local operational requirements
"
Does anyone else see the problem here?

The good Valet Closets have been pulled out! (757) and the others are way too small! During the winter months there is no room for bags in these at all, because there are coats to hang in F. Flight attendants are the ones that get caught being the "bad guy" by having to explain that there is no room or the bag is simply too large to be stowed...WHY, These guidelines are misleading and the agents don’t take the time to catch the bags from coming down to the A/C!

Everyone comes aboard with a Personal Item that is larger than 36 overall inches and these get put in the overheads leaving no room for bags. Adding the "turn the bag" announcement to the book was a good first start, but many don’t read it or enforce it.

My thought is if we are going to be a leader in this "New Era" of the airline industry we need to establish some real WORKING guidelines for luggage and stick to it!

Suggestions: Carry On luggage is limited to one (1) personal item that must fit under the seat in front of you 18L x 14W x 8H

Any luggage exceeding the carry on dimensions must be checked the exception being:
1. You are a Chairman’s Preferred Member of Dividend Miles or Alliance Member Airline.
2. A customer who has purchased an unrestricted full fare First/Coach seat for that flight.
3. A discount fare paying customer who agrees to pay the carry-on bag fee of $25.00 (the bag must not exceed 22L x 16W x 10H to be allowed in the cabin)

Imagine how quickly we could board and de-plane the A/C boosting turn time. Not to mention the ability to boost revenue for people who insist on brining the bags aboard.

Great post, Andy! Those ideas are pretty good. If management saw some of the bags that passengers are trying to get in the cabin, they might respond to the problem a bit faster.

Great post, Andy! Those ideas are pretty good. If management saw some of the bags that passengers are trying to get in the cabin, they might respond to the problem a bit faster.
When flying on Air France last year, they don't allow any bags on except the "personal" item. Boarding and deplaning was a breeze. IMO, a good example to follow.

When flying on Air France last year, they don't allow any bags on except the "personal" item. Boarding and deplaning was a breeze. IMO, a good example to follow.

Interesting. I've never been on an Air France flight, so I wasn't aware that they only allow the personal item. What do they use the overhead bins for on their aircraft?

Man y'all would LOVE to have me be the one to board your flight. I use those sizers and I use them a LOT. It has to fit EASILY into the sizer, so if it doesn't, I check it. (I get to hear a LOT of colorful language during the day...lol.) I agree, not enough agents pay attention to the size of bags, and they'll allow someone to board with the fanny pack, rollerboard and the diaper bag and a bag from the bookstore or what ever shop they were just in. It's been something I've made myself be aware of from day one. And on a 737, once I count 85 pax, if I've seen a lot of carry ons, everyone's rollerboard from there on out get checked. (Like Friday afternoon flights to SNA...they ALL have something! lol.)
But to be fair to the pax, I don't believe that charging pax for a carry on would be the smart way to go. More revenue yes, but how much rev. would we lose by pax going to airlines that DON'T do this??? But I do agree with the fact that something needs to be done. (Maybe an extra couple minutes on our boarding times???)

Suggestions: Carry On luggage is limited to one (1) personal item that must fit under the seat in front of you 18L x 14W x 8H

Any luggage exceeding the carry on dimensions must be checked the exception being:
1. You are a Chairman’s Preferred Member of Dividend Miles or Alliance Member Airline.
2. A customer who has purchased an unrestricted full fare First/Coach seat for that flight.
3. A discount fare paying customer who agrees to pay the carry-on bag fee of $25.00 (the bag must not exceed 22L x 16W x 10H to be allowed in the cabin)

Imagine how quickly we could board and de-plane the A/C boosting turn time. Not to mention the ability to boost revenue for people who insist on brining the bags aboard.

The FAA allows one propoerly sized piece of luggage and and one personal item as carry-on baggage. The LCC West website states:

"In addition to one carry-on bag, customers may bring one personal item, which includes a purse, briefcase, laptop, small daypack (small bag used to carry books, magazines, sack lunch, etc.) or diaper bag.

Also be aware of the following limitations:
When baggage is carried onboard the aircraft, it must be stowed in carry-on compartments of the aircraft, under a seat, or in an overhead compartment, approved for the carriage of such baggage.
America West assumes no responsibility for liability of baggage, or other items, carried in the passenger compartment of the aircraft.
Operational or safety considerations may require limitations to the allowable carry-on baggage on a specific flights. America West reserves the right to determine the suitability of any bag to be carried in the cabin of the aircraft."

In regards to your suggestions:

Suggestion 1 is unneccesary as long as you are at the gate at boarding time. I believe all those folks can preboard.

Suggestion 2 is unneccesary as to first class passengers since they can preboard. The full fare passengers likely will get one of the good held for the airport to assign seats and/or may get upgraded if they actually paid the full coach cabin fare.

Suggestion 3 is likely impossible for various legal reasons.

The bottom line is that carry-on baggage that does not safely go under the seat in front of you is not guaranteed to be able to go into the cabin, especially if you are in the last groups to board the aircraft. If the gate agents properly supervise the bags going onto the aircraft and the flight attendants have the time during boarding to be watching everyone coming on individually for baggage compliance then usually everyone can be accomodated. But, it is not guaranteed. There have been times when the aircraft must leave with one or more empty baggage bins because the bin may be broken, so always plan on placing your most valuable items (including laptops and medications) under the seat in front of you to preclude most problems.

Man y'all would LOVE to have me be the one to board your flight. I use those sizers and I use them a LOT. It has to fit EASILY into the sizer, so if it doesn't, I check it. (I get to hear a LOT of colorful language during the day...lol.) I agree, not enough agents pay attention to the size of bags, and they'll allow someone to board with the fanny pack, rollerboard and the diaper bag and a bag from the bookstore or what ever shop they were just in. It's been something I've made myself be aware of from day one. And on a 737, once I count 85 pax, if I've seen a lot of carry ons, everyone's rollerboard from there on out get checked. (Like Friday afternoon flights to SNA...they ALL have something! lol.)
But to be fair to the pax, I don't believe that charging pax for a carry on would be the smart way to go. More revenue yes, but how much rev. would we lose by pax going to airlines that DON'T do this??? But I do agree with the fact that something needs to be done. (Maybe an extra couple minutes on our boarding times???)

How can you justify using the sizers when they aren't even close to being the actual size of an overhead? I carry 2 bags that don't fit in the sizers but absolutely fit in the OHB w/o any difficulty at all. Why should I check a bag in that situation when I know it will fit? Don't you think you're being unfair to the pax?

(Maybe an extra couple minutes on our boarding times???)
[/quote]

Don't have a problem with this as long as we (flight attendants) get paid during boarding. Have to be there an hour before flight is scheduled to push back and no $ until it rolls forward nine feet. :down:

How can you justify using the sizers when they aren't even close to being the actual size of an overhead? I carry 2 bags that don't fit in the sizers but absolutely fit in the OHB w/o any difficulty at all. Why should I check a bag in that situation when I know it will fit? Don't you think you're being unfair to the pax?

Because when you are traveling with 100+ passengergs with the same mindset as yours then there is definitely not going to be enough room to accomodate everyone's carry on bags.

One overhead bin is to be SHARED by anywhere from 6 to 9 passengers in that seat area. The overhead bin is not yours and yours alone.

Suggestion 1 is unneccesary as long as you are at the gate at boarding time. I believe all those folks can preboard.

Suggestion 2 is unneccesary as to first class passengers since they can preboard. The full fare passengers likely will get one of the good held for the airport to assign seats and/or may get upgraded if they actually paid the full coach cabin fare.

Suggestion 3 is likely impossible for various legal reasons.
In theory you are correct...my suggestions are to curb the carry-on from making it into the cabin. If I purchase an airline ticket (and I always do never use my term pass) and I pay to transport ME from PHL to LAX that’s what my ticket charge is for. If I want to ship a 50 lb box or bag to LAX from PHL, UPS/FEDex is going to charge me $250.00 for next day service, $25.00 is a deal if you ask me.

Carry on bags are over the top in the states.

I've flown LH, QF, BA and have never seen customers bring on what they do here...it's beyond crazy. I agree, one carry on only, and it must be small. Exception for the Preferred members of course. It would make boarding and deplaning effortless.

Carry on bags are over the top in the states.

Is it possible that the excessive amount of carryons goes back the the PeoplExpress days where passengers had to pay to check their lugggage? There was no charge for whatever you could bring on board. Ever since, the quantity and size of carryons seems to have increased.

Because when you are traveling with 100+ passengergs with the same mindset as yours then there is definitely not going to be enough room to accomodate everyone's carry on bags.

One overhead bin is to be SHARED by anywhere from 6 to 9 passengers in that seat area. The overhead bin is not yours and yours alone.
Thank you for your PERFECT answer!!! Too darned many people believe that the ONE overhead bin above thier seat is ONLY for them and their bag, not realizing it's supposed to be shared by THREE people. (Remember back in kindergarten when you were taught to share??? Same thing.) It's unfair to the OTHER passengers on the plane to allow you to carry on your bag.

I was running late (due to late inbound flight) into CLT, connecting to a flight to PHL. My upgraded seat had already been given away, and I at least had a coach seat available still, be it an undesireable one. I was just traveling with a rollaboard and a small messenger bag. I had laptop and other electronics in the rollaboard (a 22 inch). Overheads were all seemingly full around me, and I was one of the last on board. The flight attendant from the front came back and said the bag would have to be gate checked. I said that no, it was primarily electronics inside and that if the bag didn't ride on this flight in the cabin, I wasn't either. He promised to put it in the forward closet (737-400), and I said that was fine. After the safety demo and pushback, he came back and said he ended up gate checking that bag and said "Sorry" and started to walk away. I asked him to come back, asked for the gate check claim stub, and his name and employee number. He said there wasn't a claim stub, and he didn't have to tell me anything other than his first name, but my bag would be on the bag claim belt at PHL.

After waiting over 45 minutes for it to appear at Philly, I opened it. Digital camera that was up against the outside of the bag was broken (pressure on the lense plus crack inside the screen). Other items were seemingly okay. I went into baggage services, which was a mistake. First, I was accused of it not being a checked bag. Finally they agreed it was because it had a hand-written gate check tag on the bag. Then I got the "not responsible for poorly packed checked luggage" and "no liability for electronics in checkec luggage" speech over and over and over, while I repeatedly stated what had occurred. I was calm to that point. Then the agent told me "Well, flying as much as you do, you should know that on these small regional jets you have to check rollaboards and you should know better than to pack a camera in it." That's when I informed him, probably louder than I should have, that "A B737 is not a f***ing regional jet." From that point forward he raised his voice, I did too. Finally got a supervisor who agreed to do the paperwork (this agent refused to even take down a claim). I enquired with system baggage services a few days later, and a week afterward got a letter that simply stated the "not responsible for poorly packed checked luggage." Calls round and round got me nowhere.

This went for 4 months until I sent registered letters to system baggage services, Bruce Lakefield, and Deb Thompson, CCed to the US DOT, and the local airport authority consumer action office yielded me $400 in travel vouchers.

To be honest and candid, I have problems with the concept that the FA misled you and didn't offer you the chance to get off the flight to join your bag that wasn't going to ride in the front cabin. I was always honest with my customers and would own the problem right then and there rather then allow the customer to think the issue was diffused just to get the bad news later. Since you stated that the bag had to travel in the cabin with you, that a late connection caused the problem and that you were willing to wait for the next flight I would not pretend to fault your actions. (Not even the yelling at the idiot in Baggage Claim.) You could not fix this situation since you had not been provided either correct or revised information.