When will Frontier come to RDU??

RDUSWF

Aug 30, 2002
I know that JI''s DEN flights were doing pretty well, so I believe that this is a mkt that Frontier can exploit before UA steps in. Before Sep. 11, UA had planned on bringing in non-stop RDU-DEN service, that was put off for obvious reasons. Now Frontier can bring two flights p/day and give local passengers a choice to DEN as well as connecting traffic to the west coast.
Any thoughts??

[P]UA will likely beat Frontier on DEN-RDU.[/P]
[P]From what I heard, when United closes some stations such as BIL, BOI, ICT, etc. those aircraft will be freed up to open new routes to the East Coast. I think you will see RDU, BDL, PVD, PIT, CLT, and CVG and maybe even a few more.[/P]
[P]It's all part of there restructuring.[/P]
[P]Regards[/P]

That is too bad. I was hoping to get a taste of fresh air in airline service back to RDU. YX is great, but after JI's demise what we need at RDU is JetBlue, Frontier, and more service from FL.

[P]enilria,[/P]
[P]I'm not wrong, and parking aircraft instead of flying it and making at least a little money is not a smart choice.[/P]
[P]United is closing down stations as you know. This will free up aircraft, and those aircraft can be better utilized on new long-haul routes. So you will see United continue it's slow expansion in DEN as it has so far this year.[/P]
[P]This is a very smart move and I don't know why you can't see it.[/P]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/18/2002 9:17:50 PM UA777DEN wrote:

UA will likely beat Frontier on DEN-RDU.[/P]

From what I heard, when United closes some stations such as BIL, BOI, ICT, etc. those aircraft will be freed up to open new routes to the East Coast. I think you will see RDU, BDL, PVD, PIT, CLT, and CVG and maybe even a few more.[/P]

It's all part of there restructuring.[/P]

Regards[/P]
----------------
[/blockquote]

So far, UAL 777, your predictions are miserably wrong. UA just announced that they will be closing SYR, MFR, EUG, CID and HPN. Not BIL, BOI, ICT, etc. -- I hope you are a little more dead on in your predictions about DEN but I don't think UA is going to be expanding much anywhere.

[blockquote]
From what I heard, when United closes some stations such as BIL, BOI, ICT, etc. those aircraft will be freed up to open new routes to the East Coast. I think you will see RDU, BDL, PVD, PIT, CLT, and CVG and maybe even a few more.[/P]

It's all part of there restructuring.[/P]
[/blockquote]

I hope you are wrong (and I suspect you are), United needs to park aircraft like Delta, American, US Airways, Continental, etc. instead of launching a bunch of new flights.

[BR]Cart Pusher,[BR][BR]My predictions are not wrong. United right now has compiled a list of 23 stations that might be closed. BIL, BOI, and ICT along with 20 others are on this list. Today EUG, MFR, SYR, and HPN were announced. But that's not the last of the station closings.[BR][BR]These 5 are the first batch announced. There will be plenty more cities that are going to go completely United Express.[BR][BR]United will grow in markets that are potential and shrink others that have been lagging. The DEN-East Coast market has lots of potential and right now has among the highest yields and load factors for United.[BR][BR]It makes sense for United to pursue markets that are doing well by further expanding service. This is why RDU, BDL, CVG, and possibly PVD are likely to be announced in the near future by United.[BR][BR]If you've noticed lately, United has been slightly growing the DEN hub with additional frequencies in many markets. They've even added new routes, and expanding East where there is LOTS of potential is no surprise at all.[BR][BR]You will see more station closings. BIL, BOI, and ICT will most likely be closed sometime later next year.

[P]One other note [STRONG]Cart Pusher,[/STRONG][/P]
[P]There is a difference between expanding and adding new routes. Adding new routes can be done without expanding capacity. That's what Frontier has been doing lately. These RSW, TUS, and OKC are going to start tommorow, however this will be done with the same number of planes and the same number of flights. Frontier will be reducing frequencies in other markets they serve in favor of these 3 new cities. This is what the market needs now.[/P]
[P]United is going to have to reduce frequencies on almost all routes. That's a given. Reducing frequencies on routes will reduce capacity on those specific routes and will thus boost the load factor and yields. At the same time, United can pursue potential markets from the freed up aircraft.[/P]
[P]This is why United is adding Saturday Seasonal service from DEN to KOA and MEX. These 2 new routes are being added since United has many aircraft that sit around and do nothing on Saturdays. It's makes sense to have them fly a route where they can make at least a bit of money, rather than have them sit on the tarmac and collect dust, pay monthly parking fees, and have them not make any money.[/P]
[P]United will be reducing frequencies in weaker markets, and increasing frequency on some of the markets that are doing very well. At the same time, pursue potential markets.[/P]
[P]I don't know why you are so shocked, but all United has been doing so far this year from DEN is pursuing new [STRONG]potential[/STRONG] markets.[/P]
[P]HNL, KOA, MEX, PSC, ELP (completely new city for UA), YEG (completely new city for UA), PSP, YWG (completely new city for UA) have all been announced from DEN by United/United Express so far this year.[/P]
[P]Just last week, United just announced that DEN-HNL would go daily. DEN-MFR is going to be announced sometime this week also.[/P]
[P]Part of restructuring is not just reducing capacity, but better utilizing. That's the restructuring part. United will restructure everything from stations, employees, and markets they currently serve.[/P]
[P]If UA can drop a flight on DEN-SLC for example, to free up an aircraft to fly DEN-CVG where it will make MORE money. United will do that. That's part of the restructuring.[/P]
[P]Nowhere did I mention that United will grow capacity wise. That's not going to happen. What you WILL see happen is major schedule changes. Some cities will see less frequencies, others will see more, and you will see some new routes.[/P]
[P]We've seen UA add new routes from DEN so far this year, adding a couple more new routes is nothing surprising. UA was about to announce DEN-RDU last September, but after the attacks the plans were obviously put on hold.[/P]
[P]With United's restructuring, they may very well reconsider DEN-RDU again.[/P]

We would love to see UA nonstops from PVD to DEN. I think that these flights would be very profitable for UA. NW added regional jet flights from PVD to MSP last year and they were quickly upgraded to NW 319s.

No disrespect to anyone from UA, but I would rather see Frontier do this route. UA has left RDU, it is now an express station, so I don't see UA doing this route any time soon. I believe this is an opportunity for Frontier to get a leg up on UA. If they can make OKC-DEN and SMF-DEN work, then I see little reason as to why RDU-DEN would not.