When Will Northwest Retire Their Dc9-10s

JetClipper

Advanced
May 2, 2004
N989AT said:
I know that, but I'm sure that will be a -30/-40/-50. I just wanted to know when the -10s will be gone
I'm just curious; why do you people have to take every possible opportunity to slam Airbus? I have talked to more than a few NWA Technicians who say it is not a bad airplane to work on. Also, let's not forget United's quote about the 747-400; "It's a great airplane, I just can't wait until Boeing finishes it." (Mind you, that was after it had been in service for a while).

NuGuy

Jun 28, 2004
Hello,

Dude, I don't know if you are the same guy posting this question over at the FlightInfo forums, but...

The DC-9-10s aren't going anywhere. They are low time/low cycle aircraft, and fit a niche at NWA. They are VERY reliable aircraft.

Why the panic?

Nu

NuGuy

Jun 28, 2004
Hello,

There are 8 -10s in the fleet. Some -30s are being parked at the end of next year due to cycle limits, but the -10s are staying for the forseeable future. Chances are the -30s being parked will be replaced with -9s that are currently in storage.

The DC-9s that NWA purchased later on are all very low time/low cycle aircraft, and have years, if not a decade or two of service life left. They are fastidiously maintained and are extremely reliable. Plus, if you are away from a MX hub, any A&P who has ever turned a wrench can work on the -9 or the JT8D. NWAs DC-9-50s have the lowest CASM of ANY non-LCC aircraft, and lower than many LCC aircraft.

I can see why they are not in a big panic to replace them. Paid off, cheap to run and more reliable that just about anything out there.

Nu

Kev3188

Veteran
Oct 5, 2003
Right in the middle.
NuGuy said:
They are fastidiously maintained and are extremely reliable.......

........I can see why they are not in a big panic to replace them. Paid off, cheap to run and more reliable that just about anything out there.

Nu
Last time I looked they had the best dispatch reliability in the fleet (maybe except for the A330 now?). Wish the DC10 was the same way. :rolleyes: