Where be the fedex amt's

speedbrake

Sep 9, 2006
WOW!! So much has been happening at fedex and none of us have been posting anything. Why?
Where is everybody? We NEED to start some communication between stations and do something for US!!!

Hi ced,
glad to see you still check the site, hope all is well in cdg. Have you logged into the fedexacmx site that puts those stickers in the acft logbooks? I have checked the site and it seems they are looking for more info than I am willing to give up right now. I have also been in touch with other fedex amt's in SoCal and they feel the same way. Maybe we are missing out, but it just seems a bit creepy for all of the info needed.

Third Seat Hero,
Some of the stuff that fedex has done lately that is giving everybody a very uneasy feeling maybe mundane, or not, but here are some examples:
A) just a couple of years ago they pulled shift differential from new hires to "cut costs"

B) about the same time they had a big push with the retirement pention
plan and did the following: existing employees were offered the choice of staying with the traditional plan or switching to the newer portable plan that is no good and does not pay as much at retirement. obviously all existing employees chose to stick with the current traditional plan and the new hires did not have a choice, they were only given the new plan.

C) last month fedex made the decision to FORCE all employees to the new portable plan and stopped the traditional retirement for everybody. This one was a big blow since the pay off is WAY lower.

D) the new retirement plan works by adding a percentage of your annual pay into a fund. During this transition from the old plan to the new plan fedex is tossing in extra percentage "credits" to help with people over 40 years old and these extra credits are good for the entire time they are working for fedex, even if it's the next 25 years. This is done so that people 40 and above will have the chance to "catch up". Yes that is good, IF you are 40 yrs old and above.

E) THE BIG SCREW: if one is under 40, even by one day, they are not given the extra percentage. It does not matter how long you have been with the company, if you are under 40, you are screwed.
An amt with 5 years and over 40 will be getting double the percentage toward his retirement. The amt that has 15 years and is not quite yet 40 will be getting half the retirement of the "new hire". That's jut wrong!!!

F) the smaller stations are being contracted to vendors.

G) the Subic Bay amt's will be getting dumped and replaced by contractors from China, no kidding.

Keep in mind that fedex keeps posting record profits, constantly.
Here is one example of company "fleecing" by fedex officers:
This person exercised 31,000 stock options for half price and on the same day sold them back for full value and made $3.6 million.
-----> http://biz.yahoo.com/t/48/6759.html <---------
You'd have to imagine that there sitting back watching us fight over who gets a few extra crappy percentage points toward our retirement and can't stop laughing.

There is more, but this is long enough for now.

Thanks for the update speedbrake.

Just a few questions.....

Before I left UAL, I visited the Fedex AMT across the ramp(I used to work in SFO) He said then (this is late 2002) that Fedex paid a cost of living premium for the Bay Area ie SFO/OAK. Is this still true?

And whats going on in LAX? I never took my app off the online sight so I occasionally get job openings for AMTs and they are ALWAYS from LAX. Is this an unpopular station, or does everyone just retreat to fortress Memphis once they have enough time with the company?

BTW how many total AMTs does FedEx have now anyway?

Kev,
The first station that got our attention was Nashville. When it opened last year it was contracted out from the get go. That station is getting layover acft that have MEL'd items on them. However, the vendor is not being set up to work deferred items and is just payed to oil the engines and kick the tires. What sucks is the planes will sit in Nashville for up to three days with the clock ticking on a deferred item and then drop into a fedex manned station and the pressure is on us to start trouble shooting this stuff before they drop dead.

In Cali, we have amt's that have retired or bid out of John Wayne, Long Beach and Burbank. None of them have been replaced since fedex will be contracting them out.

ThirdSeatHero,
The extra money that was being given to the bay area amt's turned crazy! The original intent was NOT to be a "COLA" but was set up to help stop, or at least slow down the amt's bidding out of OAK. Amt's are typically hired into OAK and do there 1 1/2 years and start bidding to where ever it is they came from. This has always been the weak point of OAK: Hire a new guy, train him, he leaves and the cycle continues. Unfortunately that station has, overall, not a very good experienced pool of amt's due to that nasty cycle. Don't get me wrong, there is some REALLY good talent that has been there for a long time, but they account for only, say...the top 1/3 of amt's in OAK since they are the old timers....and they also get tired of training the constant influx of ever changing faces.
So mgmt's temp fix was to create a "retention bonus" that would be payed only after a new hire did the required amount of time, and the existing amt's were being payed as well.
This quickly created animosity between SJC, SFO and OAK. I know that, some how, SJC started getting the retention bonus even though they didn't really have a turn over, I think they just stuck to there guns and bugged mgmt to death.
I'm not sure when SFO started getting it but I know there were several attempts to prevent them from seeing anything. There was a new hire off the street that received the bonus in his pay check and when mgmt found out they wanted the money back. He did some open door policy stuff and the next thing you know mgmt was trying to fire him saying he lied on his application. Nothing stuck and he didn't lie so he was never fired. Anyway, long story longer, mgmt has decided that OAK no longer has a retention problem and has stopped the payment to the bay area stations......what a mess.
Now as far as LAX line? For god only knows why, it has turned into a low seniority station. It used to be you had to have some serious horse power to bid into LAX line. Not the case anymore. Lax line has been hiring off the street for the past couple of years and doesn't show any signs of changing. It seems that one reason may be when there time is up and able to bid out, they are bidding into the hangar. From what I have been told O.T. is always available in the hangar and some people just like to get a work card and not have the constant pressure that comes from working a very busy line station.
As far as people bidding into MEM, that rarely happens. Not very many people bid into MEM, something about the nasty crime that seems to be an issue. I know quite allot of amt's out there that have some absolute horror story's of crimes against them.

I almost forgot the last question, fedex has about 2400 amt's domestic and I am really not sure what the number is for the international group. Although, like all other carriers, they are not "direct" employees to the company.

hi speedbrake,

yes they ask a lot of info, but i think it's to be sure you're a real fx mech.i'm on it, and it's good to know the different points of view.
ps: the moderators are fx mechs, so i should say no problem, but you're never 100% sure

cheers