Where Is The Iam?

Sep 2, 2002
Quote from Justplanenews...

Oh where, Oh Where
Has the IAM Gone

US Airways fleet service and mechanics has been wondering that about the IAM lately.
Employees are asking "why aren't we hearing anything from the union"? They want to know if the talks are moving forward, stalled or what the big sticking points may be or what progress has been made.

PORTION DELETED....POST THE LINK PLEASE

Fleet Service did not meet this week.

IAM M&R met last week, and a bulletin was put out on December 7th in regard to the retirees.

No bulletin was issued about discussions as the district and international had to go to court and listen to testimony on Thursday and testify themselves on Friday.

And District 142 put out one bulletin this week, two last week and several the week before.

So if you dont know view the web page, you wont see them.

District 142 Mechanic and Related

they could also be figuring out which cities will be outsourced to the mainline express to protect the ones in the bigger cities or what will be left of the mainline cities. nottrying to rude of the union but it could be that because we in my city and a few others already know how hard and difficult it is to make a living and raising a family, pay bills, the mortgage, fuel, etc.

Since November 3rd, the IAM M&R have put out 17 bulletins on what is going on.

Imamec said:
Quote from Justplanenews...

How about how we vote. Even the CWA use a third party, online/phone voting system. (By no means do I mean to belittle the CWA, just pointing out another IAM shortcoming) Meanwhile, the IAM still feels throwing your vote into a barrel, to be taken into the back room later, consitutes a fair voting manner!
[post="228405"][/post]​
Good point. I have been trying to encourage on line voting at the local level for years (some people really can't make the meetings) All it's got me is drummed out of the hall.

As for "where o where is the IAM?" I'd like to know why Buffy, Depace, Canale....anyone of the IAM leaders weren't standing right behind Perry Hayes when he announced the AFA's intent to walk if any carriers CBA was abrogated (sp?).

I've started two replys, and erased them both.

Lets keep it simple! I've been a member of the IAM for 18 years. I started out going to every meeting, been a shop steward, (including during the stike) and have been active in explaining every new contract we've had, to coworkers. The bottom line, whether you want to believe it or not, the IAM is out of touch!!!!!!

In fact, your replys are exactly the sort we have come to expect from this union, "we're telling you all that we know, we just don't know anything!" Well, maybe if they stopped telling us that everything is all right, when we know that that is so much BS, we would stop asking for details! You know, like a couple of days ago when a certain PIT rep told the media that the company asking the judge to let them outsource all HM, was just a ploy! GET REAL, the IAM doesn't want their DUES payers, to have a brain! Well guess what? It just came in the mail today, along with our computers, so you're out of luck!

AlabubbaRegional said:
I.A.M. stands for In Absent Mode
[post="228635"][/post]​

You really cant blame the IAM.

They've lost twenty five percent of their members over the last four years.

They are in a panic. They cant bad mouth their AFL-CIO counterpart TWU, even though the TWU has seen an upsurge in membership over the last two decades, many of them ex-IAM.

If they loose any more members they wont be able to afford all their perks!

So they decided to be just like the TWU!

Well, first the mechs will throw the ato's under the bus. Then, the 7 focus ato's will throw the rest of the ato's under the bus.

And, it will be a 'you don't have time to think about it, just vote' rush job.

And, it will NOT come with a recommendation.

IMHO, of course.

Thomas Paine said:
You really cant blame the IAM.

They've lost twenty five percent of their members over the last four years.

They are in a panic. They cant bad mouth their AFL-CIO counterpart TWU, even though the TWU has seen an upsurge in membership over the last two decades, many of them ex-IAM.

If they loose any more members they wont be able to afford all their perks!

So they decided to be just like the TWU!
[post="228639"][/post]​

IAM hasn't been as cozy with the AFLCIO, especially since they adopted new constitutional language. And what is the AFLCIO's worth anyways? All the talk about solidarity went out the window when the TWU screwed over thousands of good hard working IAM union members at TWA.

At any rate, assuming US AIRWAYS gets final tentative agreements with all groups, I think it gets sold.
Personally, I think the most important text in any new T/A will be the language dealing with mergers, buyouts. Watch for this to be tweaked to US AIRWAYS favor as the IAM gets some other bone thrown its way.

Certainly those negotiating the fleet service contract don't have the education [sorry, IAM education doesn't = Bachelor's degree on up] to be able to parse the wording.
It wouldn't be at all surprising if AA [insert any other airline here] picks you guys up and then the TWU throws your seniority out the window [see TWA].

regards,

just got a call Iam wants every city either mainline or mainline express
that should include the ones that are contracted out

diogenes said:
Well, first the mechs will throw the ato's under the bus. Then, the 7 focus ato's will throw the rest of the ato's under the bus.

And, it will be a 'you don't have time to think about it, just vote' rush job.

And, it will NOT come with a recommendation.

IMHO, of course.
[post="228968"][/post]​
First of all what the mechanics do have NOTHING to do with Fleet Service.

Fleet Service has THIER OWN Contract, THIER OWN Negotiating Committee and they are in a DIFFERANT District.

Tim Nelson said:
Certainly those negotiating the fleet service contract don't have the education [sorry, IAM education doesn't = Bachelor's degree on up] to be able to parse the wording.
[post="228975"][/post]​

Weren't you the driving force behind a petition for a union election to cover the FSA, but you petitioned before having the required 35% signature cards? Didn't this cause the FSA group to not be allowed to petition for union representation for a full year? You have a degree, don't you?

I can't speak for the other negotiators, but 3 out of 4 from PHL would run circles around you, degree or not. Also, they have plenty of lawyers available to "parse the wording."

On another note, I don't think the company is moving at all on the expressing of cities, contracting out, and paying a ridiculously low hourly rate to everyone else. I think FSA will get a T/A to vote on soon, but it won't have the endorsement of the IAM and will get shot down big time by the members.

700UW said:
First of all what the mechanics do have NOTHING to do with Fleet Service.

Fleet Service has THIER OWN Contract, THIER OWN Negotiating Committee and they are in a DIFFERANT District.
[post="229084"][/post]​

All true, which begs the question, why would a UNION divide its members?

Divide and conqueor?

An injury to one is an injury to all?

Besides, the same lawyers are advising 141 and 142. The same folks from IAM International are in on or advising 141 and 142.

Sure, the AGC's are different. But when you get above that level, some of the same names keep popping in both negotiations.

There's not a thing wrong with that - I view it as good stewardship of the membership's money.

But that also makes my point.

No the same International reps are not advising 141 and 142.

Joe Adinofi is working with District 142 and Tom Brickner is working with District 141.

And the same names ARE NOT popping up in both negotiations.

But each district is faced with its own unique problems and therefore that is why things are going in differant directions.

The company is not asking fleet to decimate themselves like they are asking for Mechanic and Related.

Latest posts