Where Next Us

ITRADE

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
DCA/IAD US2
www.geocities.com
Was looking at the summer Europe schedule:

PHL: LGW (333), MAN (333), MAD (333), FRA (333), FCO (333), MUC (767), GLA (767), SNN (767), DUB (767), CDG (767), CDG (767), AMS (767)

CLT: LGW (333), FRA (333)

PIT: LGW (767), FRA (333)

Where to next??? BHX? MXP? VIE? ZRH? Of course, you're going to need some more heavy lift - or a 757.

I understand that US Airways will obtain additional transatlantic aircraft, possibly used B767-200s on the cheap, which may become available in late 2004 & early 2005, to begin service to five new European destinations.

The new service will be from Philadelphia to Star Alliance partner hubs in Vienna, Oslo, & Copenhagen; as well as Birmingham. These new routes will start in the spring of 2005.

US Airways has firm order for 10 A330-200s, scheduled for delivery from 2007 through 2009.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
I understand that US Airways will obtain additional transatlantic aircraft, possibly used B767-200s on the cheap, which may become available in late 2004 & early 2005, to begin service to five new European destinations.

The new service will be from Philadelphia to Star Alliance partner hubs in Vienna, Oslo, & Copenhagen; as well as Birmingham. These new routes will start in the spring of 2005.

US Airways has firm order for 10 A330-200s, scheduled for delivery from 2007 through 2009.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
10 332s....replacements for 767s maybe???

CPH, VIE, and others make sense for alliance reasons.

ZRH, MXP and BHX make sense for traffic reasons.

I think a few months ago Dave mentined that he would like to se US fly to 20 cities in Europe. Sounds nice but lets get the airplanes! When we do my wish list of cities would include:Vienna/Milan/Copenhagen/Berlin/Birmingham/Barcelona/Zurich/Lisbon/Hamburg/Prague/Moscow. I think there is a big market for service between PHL-SVO. I think DL is the only other major carrier in the US to fly to Russia.
If we do get our costs down, I think it would be great to start service from MCO-LGW and MAN. What a market that is! Lets jump on it!

USA320Pilot said:
USA320Pilot:

You said five cities would be added from PHL in 2005, yet you mentioned only four specifically -- VIE, OSL, CPH and BHX. Do you know which city is #5?

I was just looking at some availability for Eurpoe this summer, and I see that all of the PHL to Ireland (SNN and DUB) and also PHL-CDG is still being run by the 762. Wasn't the plan to convert those to domestic only and use the A330's exclusively on the Transatlantic markets? Anybody with access to mainline fleet planning have some info? Thanks..

..CT

No that was not the plan, the plan is you use a mix of the a330 and 767 on european routes, we only have 9 330s and 10 767s.

With LOT Polish joining, how about PHL-WAW? It would be a good jumping off point for people traveling to Eastern Europe.

DorkDriver said:
With LOT Polish joining, how about PHL-WAW? It would be a good jumping off point for people traveling to Eastern Europe.
WAW is too far north to serve as a gate-way for eastern europe (and LOT isn't that great of an airline).

PRG is perfect for connecting to Eastern Europe - not just geograhicallhy but also that Czech Airlines has great coverage (& service) - unfortunately OK is not a part of *

Next best option is VIE and Austrian Airlines group - not too bad geographically and decent coverage.
One problem is that VIE has the highest (or close to it) landing fees in all of Europe - and hence the success of SkyEurope operating out of BTS - some 30 miles away - but lets not digress.

The USA has open skies w/ Italy. Any US carrier can fly to any point in Italy whenever it wants. There is no authority necessary to fly to Italy that US would be incapable of obtaining.

Before you get all excited about all the European destinations US could fly to, look at CO's hub at EWR and the destinations served there. CO has a much bigger local market and more transatlantic experience than US; if CO can't make a market work out of EWR, it probably won't work out of PHL either. You can also be certain that AA, CO, and DL will do all possible to make sure US does not succeed in expanding its European operation. US needs to find certain money and the other big 5 are not exactly willing to make anything easy for US. Quite frankly, they'd be happy to see US fall, particularly in the transatlantic market.