White House defending Pelosi

Will wonders never cease. One election beating and all of a sudden W wants to play nice? He is even pulling the rug out from under the Reps in the House and Senate who are trying to make an issue out of it. I just love how politicians will eat their own. Kind oflike Unions lol.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...osi-plane_x.htm

Well, I suppose the White House is giving Pelosi some slack because that is the exact type of plane that Cheney uses as well.

No slack Jack.....its DOD who runs the show here.Big Nance wanted a '57 with a crew of 16,plus flight privileges for her staff,family and friends.Seems she's just like the other party and all their nasty corrupt ways.
And shes getting exactly what Denny Hastert got to fly in.
No more,no less..... ;)

And shes getting exactly what Denny Hastert got to fly in.
No more,no less..... ;)

What Hastert got was an aircraft that could get him to his home district w/o a refueling stop. That's what Pelosi should get - an aircraft that can make non-stop flights to her home district - no more, no less!

What Hastert got was an aircraft that could get him to his home district w/o a refueling stop. That's what Pelosi should get - an aircraft that can make non-stop flights to her home district - no more, no less!
Gov't likes direct not non stops.... :lol:

Its a friggin' guarantee to get non stop service ala taxpayer?

Oh I forgot...shes the Queen of the land.....

Hastert was lucky he even got that...so should she.

Fair enough she can use one of the C-37A's already in service, they have a range of 6000km.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulfstream_V

...of course she will have to send all her friends and family to SFO commercially for Gay pride week. :)

Did anyone even read the damn link?

After the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, the Bush administration agreed to provide Hastert with a military plane for added security during trips back home. Hastert flew in a commuter-sized Air Force jet.

House Sergeant-at-Arms Bill Livingood said in a statement he recommended the Pentagon continue the practice, begun with Hastert, of flying the speaker back home.

"The fact that Speaker Pelosi lives in California compelled me to request an aircraft that is capable of making non-stop flights for security purposes, unless such an aircraft is unavailable," he said.

The Pentagon this week told Pelosi's staff she would be provided with a plane but the size would be based on availability and non-stop service could not be guaranteed.

The Defense Department's guidelines say Pelosi could be accompanied by family members, provided they pay the government coach fare. The plane could not be used for travel to political events. Members of Congress could join her if the House ethics committee clears the travel.

In my opinion I think he has been overly nice. Besides how you feel about Bush and the war I can't think of him being mean to someone. Correct me if I am wrong.

You mean like during the 2000 primaries when the W campaign put out flyers accusing McCain of having a child out of wedlock with a black woman? The reality of the matter was that McCain and his wife adopted the child from Africa. My understanding was that this was public knowledge but hey, why let facts get in the way of a good smear.

Granted, Bush may not have had his hands dirty but it was done in his name and you can be damn sure Rove knew exactly what was going on. Just because someone is 'outwardly' nice, does not mean he is not/has not/will not be mean. Look at is pit bull VP for god sakes.

Did anyone even read the damn link?
Its not on the approved media list :lol:

"The fact that Speaker Pelosi lives in California compelled me to request an aircraft that is capable of making non-stop flights for security purposes, unless such an aircraft is unavailable," he said.
I think she was looking at a 757 and wanted friends and family included on our dime...but then an uproar started and she got the Sgt.at Arms to take a grenade for her,saying he requested it...LOL :lol: :mf_boff: :cop:

But then she moved on to conduct unbecoming a Speaker.

First, she suggested that the Pentagon was punishing her for being an Iraq war critic. Don Rumsfeld, she said accusatorily, still has an office in the Department of Defense. We’re supposed to believe, in other words, that George Bush, who threw the former Defense secretary overboard as an election scapegoat right after Pelosi’s party took Congress, is keeping him there at the Punish Pelosi assignment desk.

Sorry, I’m not believin’.

But this is evidently how Dems want to lead—with catty accusations and threats. On Wednesday, Pennsylvania Democratic Congressman John Murtha, chairman of the Defense Appropriations subcommittee in the House—and Pelosi’s original pick for Minority Leader—threatened the Pentagon. He warned that the Pentagon had made “a mistake†by leaking information about the Speaker’s transportation to the press “since she decides on the allocations for the Department of Defense.â€

Now we could all do without the leaking, but Murtha’s response is worthy of censure.

But even Katie Couric—whom I last noticed when she was complaining that there were not enough women in a room of news anchors and top White House staff—got why this is a story. Last night she reported: “At a time when they’re cracking down on congressional perks, the new Speaker of the House is apparently asking for a big travel upgrade.â€

As has been reported by various outlets, Pelosi has been provided the same transportation former Speaker Dennis Hastert was provided. The plane he used could not make it to San Francisco non-stop, and unless something else becomes available, Pelosi wouldn’t get anything more elaborate than he did.

So where’s the political punishment? Where’s the gender oppression?

Its not on the approved media list :lol:
I believe these sources are on your approved list:

Amid the hubbub, House Sergeant-at-Arms Bill Livingood, who is charged with the speaker's security, issued a statement saying it actually was he, not Pelosi, who had requested that the military provide the larger plane so Pelosi could fly nonstop to San Francisco.

After the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the Pentagon agreed to provide the House speaker, who is second in the line of presidential succession behind the vice president, with a military plane for added security during trips home. Hastert flew in a commuter-size Air Force jet.

"The fact that Speaker Pelosi lives in California compelled me to request an aircraft that is capable of making nonstop flights for security purposes, unless such an aircraft is unavailable," Livingood said in a statement. "I regret that an issue that is exclusively considered and decided in a security context has evolved into a political issue."

The Pentagon informed Pelosi's staff this week that she would get a plane, based on availability, and that nonstop service could not be guaranteed.

Pelosi said Thursday that she'd be happy to fly commercial.

FOX News Network

For security reasons, Pelosi is entitled to fly to her San Francisco district on military planes and the House sergeant-at-arms suggests flying nonstop would be the safest way for her.

Republicans grabbed the most extreme possibility: Pelosi's flying on the military equivalent of a Boeing 757 with the latest in travel comforts. Too expensive and polluting, they said.

Her response: "I have never asked for any larger plane," Pelosi said. "I have said that I am happy to ride commercial if the plane they have doesn't go coast to coast."

Presidential spokesman Tony Snow's response: "This is a silly story and I think it's been unfair to the speaker."

The Dallas Morning News

But why should the facts interfere with the smear campaign?

Fair exchange back at the party who perfected the smear campaign is no robbery my friend. :lol:

'Air Pelosi': Payback for 5-Day Week?
By Kenneth T. Walsh

Posted 2/9/07

One of the lesser-known aspects of the "Air Pelosi" controversy is the degree to which the fuss is payback for the House speaker's decision to hold legislators to a five-day workweek instead of the three- or four-day schedule adopted by the Republicans in the past.

Nancy Pelosi has been struggling to explain her need for a big Air Force jet to fly nonstop to her home district in San Francisco. She says she is only following the policy of her predecessor, Republican Dennis Hastert of Illinois, who flew home regularly on government aircraft for security reasons. Pelosi says she needs a bigger government jet than Hastert did because she has a lot farther to go, and, besides, the security requirement was imposed by the House sergeant at arms. Otherwise, she says, she'd fly commercial.

But Pelosi has been attacked by GOP legislators for extravagance and hypocrisy, since she has criticized Republicans for taking too many perks when they controlled Capitol Hill.

White House Press Secretary Tony Snow has sided with Pelosi. But GOP insiders say the issue has a lot to do with Pelosi's work-week requirements, which many legislators consider a PR stunt that imposes a real burden on them getting home to be with their families and constituents.

That said, the aircraft fuss has become "an irresistible target" for the GOP legislators, says a Republican insider.

I'll C-20 and Raise You

House Minority Whip Roy Blunt, R-Mo., seems to be the one who first publicly raised the notion that the plane Pelosi requested is the C-32.

"I understand on this particular airplane there is a bedroom," Blunt said.

"I hadn't heard that," Putnam said.

"There is a stateroom," Blunt said. "It is kind of a flying Lincoln bedroom."

A Blunt aide said he first heard that the plane Pelosi requested had a bedroom on CNN's "Lou Dobbs" Monday evening. "She could take a circus with her, for crying out loud," Dobbs said.

A Democratic aide maintained that this was all nonsense. :lol:

"The Republicans and the administration are intentionally mischaracterizing this," the aide said. "This is a security issue, and that's it. They've got nothing else to talk about so they make this up." :lol:

Air Pelosi
The Issue: House speaker demands airliner-sized jet.
New House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is nothing if not combative.

Even as she was being elected speaker, she unsuccessfully tried to oust her No. 2, the current House Democratic leader, Steny Hoyer, in favor of her own candidate. She forced fellow Californian Jane Harman off the House Intelligence Committee, where Harman was in line to become chairman. Then she got into a fight with the powerful and senior-most House Democrat, John Dingell, by trying to carve out a chunk of his turf from his Energy and Commerce Committee.

These fights could perhaps be excused as necessary for Pelosi to exert control over her unruly charges and, as one of her predecessors as speaker, Tip O'Neill, once said, politics ain't bean bag.

But now Pelosi has picked a fight that can only embarrass her and gladden the hearts of House Republicans.

She is demanding - and, given her style, "demand" is the correct verb - that the Pentagon supply her with an airliner-size jet, the military version of a Boeing 757, to fly her to and from her San Francisco district. Gleeful Republican critics are calling it "Pelosi One."

For security reasons, the Pentagon provides the speaker, the third in line to the presidency, secure transportation to and from the home district. It did so for then-Republican Speaker Dennis Hastert.

But the Pentagon, as with Hastert, is offering commuter jets with space for no more than 10 passengers. Republicans charge that Pelosi wants the larger aircraft so she can load it up with family members and political donors, but the speaker's office says it's a matter of security because a smaller jet has to stop to refuel en route.

One Republican-allied group weighed in, decrying the "42 leather business-class seats, a fully enclosed stateroom for Nancy Pelosi, stewards who serve meals and tend an open bar, and other such luxuries aboard."

Maybe that's a little overwrought, but Pelosi should know from what happened to the House Republicans last November that voters resent what they saw as the GOP's overweening sense of entitlement and privilege.

Indeed, one of her first acts as speaker was to push through a ban on the cherished perk of lawmakers accepting rides on corporate jets.

Fly the commuter jet, Madame Speaker, and just be glad that you don't have to stand in long lines, endure long delays and get crammed in coach like, well, like the voters.

...of course she will have to send all her friends and family to SFO commercially for Gay pride week. :)
[/quote]

Just what does Gay Pride, or gay anything, have to do with this subject?

This is the second post you mentioned Gay Pride. Do you need a ride out there yourself?