Who am I?

Kyle

Senior
Aug 18, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I am forever getting emails asking... Who am I? Who is CAaviation.com? So I thought I would take a moment and post a quick history of who exactly I am and more importantly, how this site came to be.

My name is Kyle Zinn and I am addicted to aviation. In late 1999 I began a site called Aviator Select Canada (aviatorselect.com). Many of you probably remember it in it''s infancy but it grew to be a very popular web site. The Aviator Select web site was started since there did not seem to be a ''good'' online resource for aviation in Canada. It is kind of funny how it started too - since I really did not know anything about web page development and I was still a proud owner of my first computer - which was only two years old at the time. Needless to say, the site got big, very big and demanded a lot of attention which at the time I was not capable of providing as much as I would have liked.

In October 2000 I signed an agreement with CanadianAviation.com which involved placing the content of AviatorSelect.com into their new web site. CanadianAviation.com was indirectly partnered with Corvus Publishing which published Wings Magazine and Helicopters Magazine. In the summer of 2001, Annex Publishing purchased Wings and Helicopters and asked that I manage their sites as well as CanadianAviation.com. The whole thing came full circle in the end but it still was not exactly what I wanted to do.

I also began my own company developing aviation web solutions in 2000. The company is named AvSelect.com ([url="http://www.avselect.com"]http://www.avselect.com[/URL]). Since 2000 I have developed a number of web solutions for aviation companies in both Canada and the United States.

Shortly after integrating the AviatorSelect.com web site into CanadianAviation.com, I was contacted by some great people south of the border. They had come across AviatorSelect.com just before I released it and had seen my own company web site which displayed some of the work I had done for other aviation businesses. We formed a partnership and together, we developed USaviation.com - America''s Aviation Headquarters. The site is now pushing over 17 million hits a month after a year and a half since release. It has become a very popular online location for many US aviation enthusiasts. I am still partners with USaviation.com and I do all of the web development work for both USaviation.com and CAaviation.com.

This March, I released myself from CanadianAviation.com and opened CAaviation.com. It is a sister/brother site of USaviation.com and together the two web sites offer numerous services for the aviation communities both North and South of the border. It is our goal to be a primary resource for aviation information and services and it is my personal goal to make CAaviation.com the best in Canada.

On the personal side, I am a commercial pilot - fly for fun now though, husband, father of three boys and I enjoy patios and beer. I don''t get to fly as much as I wish as it seems my work is never done. I always have something in the works and I am looking forward to bringing CAaviation.com to the top for all aviation enthusiasts in Canada.

I am glad to back at the reigns of a good Canadian aviation resource site and hope that all of you continue to visit in the years to come. My biggest goal at this time is to build the Business Directory. Being on the end of so many email inquiries, I know this is the exact thing that so many people are looking for. I really hope it takes off as I am sure it will be very beneficial to those that particpate.

Well, I think that covers almost everything - at least the parts I am willing to tell

Cheers.

Kyle

Why hot dang! please to meet you Kyle Zinn! The Biggs is also an addict. Thanks for your intro of who you are, what you do and why. I think all of us can related to the "why" part, as we are all infected! Like I once quoted on the other site, aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease. This site as was/is the other, is much appreciated by us all, its a great neighbourhood!

Quite interesting... Allow me to introduce myself as well. Knew from a young age that aircraft were where I wanted to be, and pursued a career as such. Decided, due to my mechanical inclination that I was in a better position working on the ground, helping those overhead, than I would be flying. Have no regrets, and love what I do (ask the wife....she is sick & tired of hearing about airplanes!!) Always looking towards safety with the crews I work with ( would make a nice career one day to do it on a national level), as I am sure the pilots I work with would not disagree. I am always seeking that magical doorway that will turn the industry around in Canada, and make it more appealing, and more employable, within the country we call home. Blue skies to all!!

I am hopeless, because I don't have anywhere to go except Aviation.

Started cleaning airplanes for flight time for Central Airways at Toronto Island in 1953 and went downhill from there. On the way down I managed to collect some licenses, ALTP Fixed wing, Comm. Helicopter, Comm Gyroplane USA. Did not write the AME and don't regret it as I can hold a wrench without it.

Still fly for a living but am getting kind of old, the other day I got in an airplane with all those guages and switches and marveled at the fact I used to know what all those things were for.
9.gif

Just two more overseas contracts to finish then I am retiring.....Sort of..

Chas W.

Gr8 to have a new site to come to, look foward to the many posts to come. I''m a 36 yr old CPL , and have almost completed my instructors rating C4 , I have my ride on the 25th of April, I love to fly and most everything that comes with it.
I fly out of N43 02 08 - W81 09 14 My wife has a gr8 job so she supports my habit, all I want to do is teach, I want to share first solo and getting that PPL under your belt with as many folks as I can. Look forward to meeting many new people here. Take care and talk to you all soon.

MSN messeger -----> [email protected]

Hi Kyle:

Yeh, you are right, but you will notice my post was sort of tounge in cheek..

But seriously without any warning one day you just wake up and feel like an ol houndog that just wants to lay on the porch and watch some one else do the hunting.

Maybe I will regenerate one more time, but the losses I have suffered from my fight with TC has taken away my desire to remain in the industry.

Don''t for a heart beat think I am looking for sympathy at this stage of the game, its just the way things have turned out , and I was well aware of what the consequences of taking them on could be.

So I will finish some committments I have to my overseas customers and maybe the spark will rekindle the fire again....

You know how it is, once I get out on the street again they claim there is no whore like an old whore.

The Reverend Chas W.

Great site Kyle. Ah yes, aviatorselect.com brings back the memories. Things sure do change quickly. I sure hope the industry does the same.
D.

Who am I ?
Who the hell care's...aviation ,yep about 30 years now, and we're in for a reality check right around the corner... stay tuned for the details.....
2.gif

ps: great site Zinn as always..

Great work Kyle. We (Canadian Forces pilots) also have a site run by one of our own where we can just chat privately about some of our own stuff but I so much appreciate having this site where we can keep in touch with so many great folks in all facets of Canadian aviation.

I am always impressed and awed at how diverse and huge aviation is in Canada. This site gives us all a chance to stay in touch but most importantly to learn from others. It''s like a huge virtual patio, only you have to drink you beer alone in front of your PC but what the heck, it''s still way cool.

Keep up the good work.

Kyle, as much as you like flying, you obviously love what you''re doing here more - else you wouldn''t be doing it, and it''s our benefit that you do. Your pages have been, and are, a real benefit to the community. So many gain much more than they otherwise could. At the very least there''s more hangar flyin'' here than on many an old field.

44th. year in the game and my only whine is that I didn''t get started earlier. Hope to make 50 years, and then we''ll see. Lots more choppers to fly, you know.

Did you start when you were 5?

I''ll echo the sentiments of the lads, Kyle. Great site, and through your efforts I am living the privilege of getting to know some of the most amazing people in our industry. And having a load of fun doing it.

Thanks,

BV