Who are the good station managers?

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
It is no secret that many station managers are not held in high regard by those who work for them. (Perhaps more so on th east side) This forum is probably not the best place to discuss those managers. The question for today is what station managers - past or present, east or west, are well liked by the frontline people in the their stations. Who are the managers who consistently treat people with respect and fairness?

I give alot of credit to Tony Grantham not only did he move to Philadelphia I see him at the airport 24 -7. He had several meetings with the Union and did straighten out the issue of agents issuing seats out of order. I understand the problem is arising again. He of all people is attemping to do the impossible and it is not from the far arm of the West. Tony and his right hand man Nelson are trying to do the Impossible. The equipment breaks on a daily basis and short of hiring burros he has done a FABULOUS job.I have seen Tony in the halls and since I first cast my eyes on him the job is taking a toll. I wish him the best as far as his managers in the Terminals I get some negative reports on how they manhandle the employees.Good Luck Tony you are a winner in my book!!!!!!!!!!

I give alot of credit to Tony Grantham.

From a ramp point of view..... He hasn't done much.
A trickle of new equiptmwnt and a ton of young kids who aren't held accountable to do their job.
Let's see how many of them show up Thanksgiving/Xmas when they have already been out sick 20 days in theit first 6 months and nothing is done about it.

As far as the RAMP I refuse to believe that they are the only problem I do realize the the more senior people feel that they are not held accountable like the rest of you are. Well from my point of view there is only one set of rules and that goes for everyone. The USAirways treated some employees with one set of rules and others were stapped to different standards. Guess what men if we do not all walk to the same tune it will be demise for all of us . As far as treatment look at the top layer we have had at USAirways where is the dignity and sense of respect for one another no matter what job you do!!!!!!!I am sorry that the ramp is so divided we need Leaders out there maybe you could step up to the plate...........Good Luck

Ron was a great manager in TPA.

Beats the Piedmont nepotism of Phil Bostwick, then it was the crazy US Air guy, damn cant remember his name, Bob something, he use to throw things in his office.

Wasn't Dave Cunningham in TPA for a while too?

I have worked with several Managers over the years. Although I am not going to list their names here, some were good and others complete morons. To me a good manager is one who doesn't stick their nose into the operation to nit-pick about stupid stuff when everyone is busting their hump to get the job done. Most operations can and do run themselves without a managers involvement. A good manager can see this, and only gets involved when there is a problem as he very well should do. To me a good manager is one who came up thru the ranks, and has complete knowledge of everyones job that he is overseeing. A manager should be able to step right in and do any job in the station without missing a beat. I have worked under a few that felt a need to get involved in the operation by calling a few random shots here and there, only to completly screw everything up. I have also worked with a few that could not drive a friggen jetway, or check a passenger in if their life depended on it. ;)
Sad to say, but most if not all of the new breed of managers have not come up thru the ranks, but were instead hired off the street beacause they held a diploma. :shock:
My best "Morinic Manager Moment" has to be one that took place many years ago on a day when we had heavy snow and several diversions at our station. After hours of being out on the ramp with the snow and deicing, we all came inside the ops/breakroom area to warm up. Our Manager came in a few minutes later, and his main concern were the footprints that we had left on the floor, which had been cleaned the night before. He voiced his concern to one of the Supervisors, and his reply was..."If you can figure out a way for the guys to come inside without walking on the floor, let me know"...After that he walked away to his office for the remainder of the day... :blink:

As far as the RAMP I refuse to believe that they are the only problem I do realize the the more senior people feel that they are not held accountable like the rest of you are. Well from my point of view there is only one set of rules and that goes for everyone. The USAirways treated some employees with one set of rules and others were stapped to different standards. Guess what men if we do not all walk to the same tune it will be demise for all of us . As far as treatment look at the top layer we have had at USAirways where is the dignity and sense of respect for one another no matter what job you do!!!!!!!I am sorry that the ramp is so divided we need Leaders out there maybe you could step up to the plate...........Good Luck

huh?

A lot of good ones over the years. Some gone and some still here:

Rick Pelc - the best in the biz...now at AirTran in ATL.
Glenn Stryker - last known location FLY-I
Traci Brown - JAX
Terri Pope - CLT
Patti Dreher - CLT
Terry Trainor - last known location NWA in SEA
Gail Morton - YYZ
Carol Wilson - CLT/Piedmont
Bruce Dudgeon - last know location MIA

I give alot of credit to Tony Grantham not only did he move to Philadelphia I see him at the airport 24 -7. He had several meetings with the Union and did straighten out the issue of agents issuing seats out of order. I understand the problem is arising again. He of all people is attemping to do the impossible and it is not from the far arm of the West. Tony and his right hand man Nelson are trying to do the Impossible. The equipment breaks on a daily basis and short of hiring burros he has done a FABULOUS job.I have seen Tony in the halls and since I first cast my eyes on him the job is taking a toll. I wish him the best as far as his managers in the Terminals I get some negative reports on how they manhandle the employees.Good Luck Tony you are a winner in my book!!!!!!!!!!

I have heard that Tony has been very depressed. He's smiling and shaking hands but is a very sad pup. It seems that he is expected to perform miracles but Parker and the rest won't back him up in any way. He supposedly was given no choice on the move to PHL. That was forced on him. I think he has been set up to fail the old America West way.

If I were Tony, I'd find another job at another airline and give US a 2-week notice and give DP a good "up yours".

Rick Pelc and Terri Pope are morons, Pelc was booted out of CLT and the masses dislike the Pope.

Glenn Stryker was another buffon.

Patti is not the station manager in CLT.

I am with ya...Tony has done a lot for PHL...he really cares and wants to turn this around...to bad that lame a@@ john street will not work with the airline...most of the problems in PHL are the city of Philadelphia's fault...the airport makes more money for the city than anything else in the city...the jetways that don't work and bag systems are the city's responsiblity to maintain...john street is to busy getting his borther milton and market place redwood another deal...wake up mr street...fast eddie would never let the city and airport...go to hell...

Rick Pelc and Terri Pope are morons, Pelc was booted out of CLT and the masses dislike the Pope.

Glenn Stryker was another buffon.

Patti is not the station manager in CLT.

I suspect anyone named on a "good list" would be considered a "moron" or a "buffoon" by the likes of you, so I'll just hush. By the way.....Patti was a station manager in AVL and GSO before becoming Customer Service Director in CLT. And she does a DAMN good job. And Pelc was tapped to go to PHL, he didn't get demoted.

Check your facts.