Who Started Cleaning The Planes?

May 19, 2003
Visit site
Ok, I admit that the filty, dirty planes have been on of my biggest pet peeves. I'll also admit I'm only on about four a week. But I have also noticed that the last twelve (yes, I have been counting) have been very clean. No pen marks, wiped down seats, clean walls, clean carpet and on a couple the bulkhead's seemed like they had been cleaned. My first thought was the plane had just come out of some check and it had been cleaned then, but it has continued for several weeks now. All have been older 737's. Some even seem to have brighter, whiter lighting in the cabin. What's up? :unsure:

Seems like I remember somebody mentioning that some one else was taking over the resposilblity for cleaning the planes and the excuse a couple of months ago was the folks doing it at that time had just quit cleaning them. I've done a search and can't find it, so I may be dreaming.

Has any of the f/a's who fly everyday noticed this too or is just me and I've been lucky?

I sure have enjoyed the difference. :up:

As a utilityman in PHL I can assure you that you were just lucky. I have noticed myself that some of the older 737's have been extra clean as a result of a Q check....we are doing nothing different in utility.

I have noticed the carpets around the galleys and lavs seem like they have been replaced on some aircraft. Other than that they are filthy as ever. The headrests are turning yellow and wearing out. Oh heck.....where to even begin. It's just gross.

longing4piedmont said:
Ok, I admit that the filty, dirty planes have been on of my biggest pet peeves. I'll also admit I'm only on about four a week. But I have also noticed that the last twelve (yes, I have been counting) have been very clean. No pen marks, wiped down seats, clean walls, clean carpet and on a couple the bulkhead's seemed like they had been cleaned. My first thought was the plane had just come out of some check and it had been cleaned then, but it has continued for several weeks now. All have been older 737's. Some even seem to have brighter, whiter lighting in the cabin. What's up? :unsure:

Seems like I remember somebody mentioning that some one else was taking over the resposilblity for cleaning the planes and the excuse a couple of months ago was the folks doing it at that time had just quit cleaning them. I've done a search and can't find it, so I may be dreaming.

Has any of the f/a's who fly everyday noticed this too or is just me and I've been lucky?

I sure have enjoyed the difference. :up:
Customer care checks are accomplished by mehanics on the R.O.N. , dirty carpet, damaged sidewall panels, overhead bins, seat tray adjustment and seat condition are addressed or programmed for disposition at a later date when manpower and workload requirements allow the repairs to be made.
Aircraft coming out if heavy checks have the ceilings and sidewalls painted in a lighter color that seems to give the cabin a brighter look.
Normal scheduled overnight cleaning is still accomplished by IAM reresented utility personnel.
Although aircraft appearance is important , airworthiness comes first and with all the manpower reductions and maint. out station closings workload is at a all time high.
Maybe this will answer your questions about why some are filthy and some are not.

Outstation overnight aircraft cleaning has been a subject in question for years. The overnight aircraft at the little statiion I work in are cleaned (?) by F/S agents. Question is, how much cleaning can really be done in 30-45 minutes by 3 agents? What or how much is expected? Dump trash from galley? Vacumn? Wipe down trays? Overhead bins? Marks on walls? Chewing gum on carpet? Seatback pockets? (Aircraft security must be done during this time also.)
For years I have tried, unsuccesfully I might add, to get from IAM and from US the "man hours" that is deligated for outstation aircraft cleaning. Seems utility cleaners are given "x" (who know what x is ) number of hours. F/S agents man hours apparently differ from utility. Man hours for F/S seems to differ from station to station. Is there a formula? :unsure:

I have noticed the planes getting cleaner than in the past. Thank you to how ever is doing the cleaning, especially if it is extra effort on somebody's part.

Prior to turkey day I was on four airlines in five days. DL with the dirtiest, and NW was the cleanest. US, even though I was not on it in that period is starting to rank towards the top, as far as being clean. I hope this is the begining of things changing for the better here at US.

Last Sunday, PIT-LAX--clean carpet and sidewalls, only a few pen marks on the seat in front on me. Yellow crud chunks in the tray and on the tray (F on a 321). Front lav was the nastiest thing I've ever seen on a US plane. However, the service was great, despite the fact that the crew spent about an hour lashed in as we crossed the nasty frontal system moving thru the midwest at the time.

AA on the way back--F on a three class 777 was spotless to DFW, and the MD-80 DFW-PIT was relatively clean. Service was okay but not great on both flights.

It absolutely kills me to see the US frontline folks having to work with sub-par stuff. I hope CCY is listening.

Singleflyer said:
I have noticed the planes getting cleaner than in the past. Thank you to how ever is doing the cleaning, especially if it is extra effort on somebody's part.
Thanks for all the info to those who posted answers. I hope I wasn't just lucky and I too want to thank those responsible for making the effort to clean them up.

L4P

"For years I have tried, unsuccesfully I might add, to get from IAM and from US the "man hours" that is deligated for outstation aircraft cleaning. "

At NW, the man hours for an R.O.N. cleaning are:

6.5 man hours for the A320 (A319 is close, but I can't remember exact #)
8.5 man hours for the 757

(I think these are the only common narrow body A/C between US & NW?)

Northwest has a quite comprehensive cleaning program, with both internal & external audits performed on the R.O.N.'s. Turn flights are, unfortunately, a different story. Now, if they would just recall some cleaners to the hubs, and ESE's (ramp) at the small stations, then maybe the turn flights would look better than they do now? :(

delldude said:
if they're comming out of BWI,i have conformation that CWA is accomplishing the job IAM is contractually obligated to perform.
I was just curious as to exactly what the agents are cleaning and how they have the time to clean? We finish a flight ten minutes before the shift is over and leave. No time for cleaning (and no overnighters in station by the time we're off). What does BWI do differently? Are there still overnight utility in BWI, contracted, what?